Apple's iPhone 8 Said to Feature 'Water Drop Design' in Homage to Original iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Except they weren't the same rumours. The "teardrop" design that never materialised was thicker at one end than the other, and looked nothing like the suggestion here.

2. DevNull0 macrumors 65816

Yet it's amazing how accurate rumours this early seem to be year after year.

3. jnappleseed macrumors member

I wonder how I can get a job coming up with these rumors. Just say anything and whatever...something is bound to be true.

4. Starfyre macrumors 65816

Starfyre

Apple probably made this leak to trick Samsung into making a waterdrop shape for a phone.

5. TombleHawk macrumors newbie

Every iPhone since the first has paid homage to the OG. They're all rectangular and made out of glass and aluminium.

6. badgnarly macrumors newbie

Plastic alone for the 3G? I mean, it's been awhile, but I could swear it was definitely metal...

7. pk7 macrumors 6502

My personal favorite was this:
    [​IMG]

8. LDN macrumors member

When I first heard 'water drop' design rumors all those years ago, I was confused. Today, I am still confused. What does this have to do with the shape of a water drop? How in any way is the original iPhone shaped like a water drop?

9. Kid Red macrumors 65816

How can you justify something so thin and so large being made of all glass? That just sounds like the wrong path to go down for product longevity.

10. nt5672 macrumors 6502a

But every time you drop the newer phones you sooner or later have to buy a new one. That is the new Apple; money, money, money!

11. JM macrumors 6502

JM

Original iphone was thick.

iPhones are now thin.

What "rear curve"?

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You are probably picturing the side profile of a falling drop of water. But they are referring to a drop of water resting on a surface, with surface tension providing a specific curve, like so:

[​IMG]

You can see how the side view of the iPhone (on the left), when face down on a table would have a similar radius, curvature, and somewhat flat back as the water drop. Whereas newer iPhones (on the right) have a very flat back that is either squared or has a much smaller radius depending on the generation.

[​IMG]

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

iPhone "5"/"4s" speculation is always something that surfaces in my mind whenever these phone design discussions come up (in particular when they start referencing some different type of design, and especially when "water drop" or "tear drop" shape gets mentioned).

14. djeeyore25 macrumors regular

djeeyore25

I need an adapter to use regular headphones on my original iPhone as well. Talk about full circle!

15. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Dude! Do you have a source within Apple!!??

:D

16. Azzin macrumors 68040

The millions that will pre order and queue overnight won't give a hoot about what version of iOS is on the new iPhones.

17. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Well the name of this site does have 'rumors' in its name. So......

18. profets macrumors 68030

I remember being so excited about the possible home button that you could swipe on to multitask between apps. Can't believe we're coming up on 6 years since those rumours.

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Many won't. However, if the new iOS is lacking and or has a lot of problems straight away, as has been the case a few times, I think it will make for lackluster sales.

I hope the OS and the hardware are both good to go by the time the announcement is made. otherwise, I will be sticking with my 7 plus.

20. TheVoneTrecker macrumors newbie

TheVoneTrecker

So, a design like the damn mouse? Hah! :p

21. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

So in summary it's predicted the next iPhone will look like... an iPhone? Fascinating.

23. Aleh macrumors member

So many rumours, and while we don't really know what it will look like at this point I always have my own idea of what I would like the design of the iPhone to head towards. Granted, I would also do stuff not many people would like such as removing the mute switch (it's ugly!) and remove the front speaker for an under-glass solution for calls and a proper speaker on the top of the phone, symmetrical to the one on the bottom. The back would be in either glass or ceramic to get rid of the antenna bands, curved just enough to be comfortable, and no protruding cameras which might be not too hard to achieve. 2:1 Screen ratio and minimal bezels as rumored sounds great.
    I made my own mockup if anyone wants to see, but bear in mind it's not entirely based on rumors and more on simply what I would like out of the phone~
    [​IMG]

24. Datalinks macrumors regular

Datalinks

it better be good, whatever shape it is..they have been thinking about it for four years

25. Joseph Rash macrumors member

Joseph Rash

Oh yeah I remember that one