Apple's iPhone Easily Named 'Best-Selling Tech Product of 2017'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The iPhone has been named the "best-selling tech product of 2017" by analyst Daniel Ives of GBH Insights (via USA Today).

Apple's smartphone achieved the same ranking in 2016, and Ives said that the company will sell a total of 223 million iPhones in 2017, increasing from 211 million sold in 2016.

The iPhone was followed by Samsung Galaxy S8 and Note 8 (33 million), Amazon Echo Dot (24 million), Apple Watch (20 million), and Nintendo Switch (15 million).

The rankings include all models of iPhone grouped together, explaining why the gap is so large between Apple's iPhone and Samsung's Galaxy S8 and Note 8.
    In the fourth spot, Ives described Apple Watch as a product that's now "found its niche" in the wearables market, thanks to the LTE Series 3 update that makes it less reliant on the iPhone. The analyst also cited ongoing discounts for older models, improved battery life on the Series 3, and Apple's pivot away from marketing the Apple Watch as a fashion accessory to one mainly used for fitness and working out.

Earlier this week, data shared by mobile analytics firm Flurry described the iPhone and iPad as the most popular items gifted around the world for the holidays. Flurry looked at device activations from December 19 to December 25 and noted that 44 percent of new device activations were for Apple products, with the iPhone 7 leading the pack at 15.1 percent of Apple product activations. For the newer models, the iPhone X was at 14.7 percent while the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus sat at 8.1 and 8.7 percent, respectively.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone Easily Named 'Best-Selling Tech Product of 2017'

2. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Yep. Another year in this toxic relationship of ours. Trapped in this lovely garden of iMessage and W1 chips.

3. Doc Evils macrumors regular

This doesn't make sense.

If you grouping all the iPhone family, why don't you group all the Samsung Galaxy family too?

4. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

But according to MacRumors members, no one bought the 8 because they all were waiting for the X and then no one bought the X because it was too expensive. I thought the iPhone was a failure.

5. Ploki macrumors 68020

still more tho

6. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

They did. The S8 and Note 8 added up to only 33 million.

7. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

You can and iPhone would still outsell Samsung Galaxy (Note, Galaxy S) by a wide margin.

Samsung sells A LOT of non Galaxy phones.

8. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Unbelievable. It’s unbelievable it sold so well. First, you have the iPhone X with its ugly notch and lack of home button. Then you have the iPhone 8 with the same design as the iPhone 7, which has the same design as the iPhone 6s, which has the same design as the iPhone 6.

Both product names—iPhone X and iPhone 8—are blatant lies to customers. There was no iPhone 9 and the iPhone 8 is really an iPhone 7s.

(The iPhone 7 name was a lie as it was really an iPhone 6ss. Therefore, the iPhone 8 is really an iPhone 6sss.)

It’s amazing that Apple can be so lazy with their industrial design and hardware engineering and still be not only named the best-selling tech product of 2017, but “easily” named the best selling tech product of 2017. It’s a shame that there are no consequences for Apple’s lazy actions.

9. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

I'm very interested see how Apple updates the SE. I may jump down from my iPhone 7 Plus, if so.

10. Stiss macrumors 6502a

11. Oscar_440 macrumors newbie

Sure, but in 2018 maybe won't be as good as these year if they don't fix "the brand new battery issue" :(

12. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

My prediction for best selling tech product of 2018 is the $29 iPhone battery. :D

13. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I still think the iPhone X design looks the best.

Even shopping at Best Buy where all the top phones are laid out, the iPhone X just looks the most modern.

And it’s by far the most edge to edge display. The others still have too and bottom bezels. Although thin, they still have bezels.

14. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Good to see Nintendo doing so well again after the disaster the WiiU was and everyone saying how they should go third party and how doomed they are.

15. Pearple macrumors member

It‘s only best selling tech product because the battery driven Vibrator didn’t qualify.

16. Baymowe335, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

You say all this nonsense like it's fact. The iPhone X has good hardware.
    • The best mobile silicon in the industry (fact).
    • The cameras are phenomenal (best still camera on the market).
    • The OLED screen was rated the best screen in the industry.
    You may not like the design, but a lot of people do. FaceID has some interesting and cool tech that works.

Ever use an iPhone X? The home button now feels like 1996.

200M+ people aren't wrong. MANY people just like iOS more than Android.

17. SamRyouji macrumors member

SamRyouji

I think it makes sense, since GBH compares Samsung's and Apple's flagship devices curently on sale worldwide only. Samsung's flagships only covers the S and Note series only based on specs.

If Samsung still sell the S6, S6edge, S7, S7edge, Note5, and they make the Note FanEdition availability worldwide, then Samsung would easily beat Apple. The same if Apple only listed iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X and discontinued all other models for us in 2017.

It's a pretty slick tactic by Apple to continue sell the older models to maintain the chart position. Kudos for them.

18. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I'm enjoying my X, although at the end of the day it does what all the other ones did. I love the lack of forehead and chin, the notch hasn't bothered me yet. Actually, I like to know more stats like bluetooth connectivity and battery percentage, so I don't like that part. Don't miss touch ID in the slightest

19. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

This is like Hillary Clinton yelling, "Please Refer to me as Madame President!" :D

Meanwhile iPhone 6s & 7 sales are the reason! HAHA!

FAKE NEWS! :D

20. deany macrumors 68030

deany

"Easily named" come on we are not stupid, what do you take us for?

Is Daniel Ives, Johnny's twice cousin once removed, the removed bit being Ives to Eve.

21. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Best-selling tech product, sure. But most magical? Those would be the AirPods, which I've been wearing non-stop since Christmas. These things really are amazing!

22. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

not even close , samsung makes many galaxy phones , j3 , j7 , s8 , s8+ , note

samsung far outsells apple in phones ... this is another garbage written apple aritcle.

they averaged 80 mil per quarter in phone sales....all galaxy phones....thAts 320m in a year....

23. Giantscruz macrumors member

Giantscruz

The galaxy and the note are combined. That seems pretty fair to me. Both of Samsung’s biggest phones.

Though now that I think of it, I guess Apple has 3 phones accounting for their numbers.

24. MacBebe macrumors regular

Maybe the rest of the Samsung phones are not in the same category as the iPhone, i.e. high end phones?

25. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

no...its because if you combined them all this articles would cease to exist.