Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
As others have already questioned, there are quite a few Galaxy devices not named S8 and Note that Samsung still sells. They are mostly bottom rung devices, but I bet those sell in larger volumes due to cheaper prices. A better survey summary would split out SE, 6S, 7, 8 and X, or include all currently available Galaxy sales.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Really nervous to see what they do with the SE. Same form factor with updated specs would make me very happy.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Really nervous to see what they do with the SE. Same form factor with updated specs would make me very happy.

If they could keep the same form factor but implement an edge to edge display, it would be a huge success. The 4” display is just a little too small for my eyes, but if they could get the SE closer to 4.7” like the standard iPhone, I would be all over it—depending on price, of course.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
not even close , samsung makes many galaxy phones , j3 , j7 , s8 , s8+ , note

samsung far outsells apple in phones ... this is another garbage written apple aritcle.

they averaged 80 mil per quarter in phone sales....all galaxy phones....thAts 320m in a year....
Galaxy J3 doesn't count, its like counting sales of iphone 4S into iphone 8/8+/X sales...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Best-selling tech product, sure. But most magical? Those would be the AirPods, which I've been wearing non-stop since Christmas. These things really are amazing!

The AirPods have actually been available over a year now, and they're still highly popular. I think given for the price point And amount of technology with substantial battery life, that easily is one of the better Products. The Apple Watch is right up there as well. Both Products seamlessly function with the iPhone.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
That's because Apple force users to upgrade by turning their phones into Commodore 64 processor powered phones after a year

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Yep. Another year in this toxic relationship of ours. Trapped in this lovely garden of iMessage and W1 chips.

As with any toxic relationship if you're unhappy you should leave. There are lots of messaging alternatives and it's not like you need a W1 chip for bluetooth connectivity.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But Apple’s stock just dropped 2.5% because of alleged weak demand. :confused:

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
You can and iPhone would still outsell Samsung Galaxy (Note, Galaxy S) by a wide margin.

Samsung sells A LOT of non Galaxy phones.

You mean Galaxy A, Galaxy C and Galaxy J? Besides why does it matter if the phone is called Galaxy or not? Perhaps Samsung Z phones might be excluded because they have Tizen OS but all other phones (and there are not that many non Galaxy models to begin with) are also Android phones.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Unbelievable. It’s unbelievable it sold so well. First, you have the iPhone X with its ugly notch and lack of home button. Then you have the iPhone 8 with the same design as the iPhone 7, which has the same design as the iPhone 6s, which has the same design as the iPhone 6.

Both product names—iPhone X and iPhone 8—are blatant lies to customers. There was no iPhone 9 and the iPhone 8 is really an iPhone 7s.

(The iPhone 7 name was a lie as it was really an iPhone 6ss. Therefore, the iPhone 8 is really an iPhone 6sss.)

It’s amazing that Apple can be so lazy with their industrial design and hardware engineering and still be not only named the best-selling tech product of 2017, but “easily” named the best selling tech product of 2017. It’s a shame that there are no consequences for Apple’s lazy actions.

TL;DR: I don’t like the iPhone X, therefore everybody should hate it and it’s a rubbish design.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What exactly is the point of this report anyway? Samsung and Amazon don’t provide sales figures and Apple hasn’t provided any for the holiday quarter yet (and never provide them for Apple Watch). So he’s just pulling numbers out of his rear end.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Even shopping at Best Buy where all the top phones are laid out, the iPhone X just looks the most modern.

And it’s by far the most edge to edge display. The others still have too and bottom bezels. Although thin, they still have bezels.

From my PoV, putting an iPhone X side by side with an S8 or a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 makes it look like a rushed school project device, especially considering the inconveniences and the loss of functionality the notch brought (besides the ugliness which, I'll give you, is subjective).

Reactions: Delgibbons

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
As others have already questioned, there are quite a few Galaxy devices not named S8 and Note that Samsung still sells. They are mostly bottom rung devices, but I bet those sell in larger volumes due to cheaper prices. A better survey summary would split out SE, 6S, 7, 8 and X, or include all currently available Galaxy sales.
It still wouldn't be close.

You have to include all the cheap Samsung handsets (non galaxy) to even make it close. It's estimated (Apple doesn't break out product mix) something like 80% of all iPhones sold are current year models, so having the 6S and 7 in the mix isn't really boosting the number all that much. Most of these phones are iPhone 8s and X.

For example, last December quarter, Samsung sold about 77.5M phones (total) while Apple sold 78.3M iPhones. Samsung doesn't break out mix either, but a majority of Samsung phones are sub $300.
[doublepost=1514571187][/doublepost]
You mean Galaxy A, Galaxy C and Galaxy J? Besides why does it matter if the phone is called Galaxy or not? Perhaps Samsung Z phones might be excluded because they have Tizen OS but all other phones (and there are not that many non Galaxy models to begin with) are also Android phones.
Because Apple doesn't compete in the sub $300 phone market. I just gave real sales figures for iPhone vs Samsung even when considering ALL Samsung phones and Apple still sold more iPhones.

MacBebe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2017
Sacto, Ca
not even close , samsung makes many galaxy phones , j3 , j7 , s8 , s8+ , note

samsung far outsells apple in phones ... this is another garbage written apple aritcle.

they averaged 80 mil per quarter in phone sales....all galaxy phones....thAts 320m in a year....

In my search, the 80mil Samsung sells per quarter includes all phones and not just the high end ones.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
They did. The S8 and Note 8 added up to only 33 million.

No ... they didn't not fully.

Galaxy S8
Galaxy S8+
Galaxy A5
Galaxy xx xx

There are quite a few Galaxy models, just like the iPhone has 6 (still sold by retailers overseas), 6S/7/8/X. The same should be done with grouping the competition.

You say all this nonsense like it's fact. The iPhone X has good hardware.
  • The best mobile silicone in the industry (fact).
  • The cameras are phenomenal (best still camera on the market).
  • The OLED screen was rated the best screen in the industry.
You may not like the design, but a lot of people do. FaceID has some interesting and cool tech that works.

Ever use an iPhone X? The home button now feels like 1996.

200M+ people aren't wrong. MANY people just like iOS more than Android.

"The best mobile silicone in the industry (fact)."
- Until the cpu/gpu, screen etc all get throttled due to battery performance lol. Have you not been up on currrnt affairs? Sure the X will not be affected, not for 12 mths BUT it's that perception that it will be horrible sooner or later that is now sitting in consumers minds ... we'll see just how well sales go on the next cycle of iphone models. I'm VERY curious what Apple/Phil will say on stage during their special event for next October's iPhone announcement.

"The cameras are phenomenal (best still camera on the market)."
^ up for serious debate: LG V30 comes very close and bests it in some areas ... it's not just the overall comparison here but all comparisons because not everyone will use the cameras the same way or majority over the length of ownership as others. Ex I barely take photos because well that's not a factor I'm interested in.

FYI:
https://www.dxomark.com/
Shows the Google Pixel 2 at 98, iPhone X at 97. Doesn't seem the "best" now does it? Again it's all about relativity here.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
The j3 is a current generation device alongside the s8.

my point is, it's not comparable to iPhone class of phones, because it doesnt competes in the same market.

Just like you don't chuck gasoline VW Polo when comparing electric car sales -its irrelevant. J3 is a cheap phone with its own market that apples doesnt occupy

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
my point is, it's not comparable to iPhone class of phones, because it doesnt competes in the same market.

Just like you don't chuck gasoline VW Polo when comparing electric car sales -its irrelevant. J3 is a cheap phone with its own market that apples doesnt occupy

thats not what the article is talking about , its straight sales.

perhaps you should read the article.....

samsung is 100 million phones more than apple in '17 alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.