Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since the headphone jack was removed from the iPhone with the launch of the iPhone 7, Apple has bundled iPhones with a Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter for customers who continue to have 3.5mm headphones.

With the launch of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, Apple is discontinuing this practice and will not include the Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter.

whatsintheboxiphonexs-800x431.jpg

On the "In the Box" section of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR tech specs, no adapter is listed. The three devices will ship with EarPods with Lightning Connector, a Lightning to USB Cable, and a USB Power Adapter.

Apple's new iPhone lineup also marks the discontinuation of the iPhone 6s and the iPhone SE, the last two iPhones that Apple sold with a headphone jack.

None of the headphones in the new lineup, which includes the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 8, and iPhone 7, have a headphone jack.

Apple is continuing to sell the Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter separately for $9.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone XS, XS Max and XR Won't Ship With Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
They include Lightning EarPods and sell AirPods so the adapter was becoming unnecessary.

Even as an audiophile I have both Lighting headphones from Audeze as well as Bluetooth headphones (AirPods, Solo3, etc.) so it makes sense they want to push people towards Bluetooth and Lightning options.

L-Viz

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2017
Now this is understandable.

Apple offers those phones at very compatible prices.

Smallest iPhone XS with 64 GB for 99.99$ up to

biggest iPhone Xmas with 512 GB for 144,99$.

It is obvious, that they cannot put an array of accessories in the box, for this price.

And I think 99 cents is fair for the adapter!

The Don Onez

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Huntsville, AL
You think SJ wasn't a greedy capitalist? Apple has always been and will always will be about money.
Most greediest company ever. I wish Steve Jobs was still here. :( Apple isn't the same anymore. It was once unique and stood out, but now they're like any other tech companies. Money has taken over as their top priority. Such a shame.
I mean, they are a business and what not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.