Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reflecting on the iPod Hi-Fi, launched 18 years ago, many long-time readers may remember it as Apple's ambitious foray into the home audio market, long before smart speakers were a thing.

ipod-hi-fi.jpg

Priced at $349, it promised audiophile-quality sound within a compact design, offering home audio without the clutter of traditional stereo components. It featured a built-in Universal Dock for iPods, providing a seamless integration that allowed users to charge their device while playing music.

With its capability to produce a wide frequency range and room-filling sound without distortion, the iPod Hi-Fi combined Jony Ive's minimalist design aesthetic and high-quality audio performance. Its versatility was further highlighted by the inclusion of an Apple Remote, and the option for AC or battery power, making it portable.

Many products in the iPod series achieved remarkable success, but the iPod Hi-Fi wasn't one of them. The device was praised for its big rich sound, bass response, and ease of use, but its high price was a turn-off for many Apple device users. Also, the connector prominently positioned atop the speaker unit exposed docked iPods to potential knocks and damage.

Despite its innovative features, the iPod Hi-Fi remained a niche product in Apple's lineup, and the combination iPod dock/speaker system never took off. Apple discontinued it on September 5, 2007, just 554 days after its launch.

Article Link: Apple's iPod Hi-Fi Launched 18 Years Ago – and Lasted Just 554 Days

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
iPod Hifi: "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father."

HP Gen 1: "He told me enough! He told me you killed him!"

iPod Hifi: "No. I am your father." ;)

Great sound, fairly portable, somewhat like the modern day variations of the boombox... BUT... too locked down (though, unlike HPs, at least it had an optical input to use with other sources, making them still quite useful 18 years later, even without Apple audio sources), too relatively expensive, etc.

About 10 years later: "Let's roll out another branded speaker... but this time let's make it even more locked down (no AUX input at all) and offer it at the 'same great price' popularly judged as 'too expensive' before."

So when "Luke" was discontinued and < 2 years after Luke "went missing", "Rey" is rolled out with cuts in hardware (tweeters and microphones) to then basically offer what otherwise appeared to be the same for $50 less.

Cue The Imperial March theme music: "And let's make it so that Rey can't dyad pair with Luke so that one must buy TWO Reys if they want stereo." Crank up some big spatial echo and insert that Emperor Palpatine laugh here.

Last edited:

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
I bought it 10 years ago. Still going strong
I got mine shortly after launch. I don't use it much these days, but it still works and sounds great!

I use it with my old iPod 3rd gen - which doesn't get updated in terms of music anymore. So it's great to listen to the music that I listened to back in the early-mid 2000s. Good for when I'm feeling nostalgic 🙃

IMG_3801.jpg

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Except HomePod had a mediocre audio quality for its price.
Clearly you never used HomePod before.
I miss the days when the iMac came with the same Apple Remote.
Same here. Used it to run front row. Also a fun prank tool to pause music from nearby Macs at the time.
Also, the connector prominently positioned atop the speaker unit exposed docked iPods to potential knocks and damage
But wasn’t that with all the speaker with iPod dock built in at the time? They had it front and center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.