Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I still have mine, and it’s awesome.

IMG_2544.jpeg

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
I really do wish I had held onto my old iPods and iPhones.
I have so much old Apple gear in my office! iPods (3rd gen, two Shuffles, and various boxed accessories), Newtons (three of 'em!) Macs (including the Cube) original Watch, and fourth gen (I'm on the 7th gen now). iPhone 3GS, and 5S, original iPad. etc... The list goes on. I just hate to throwing/giving my Apple stuff away lol!

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
This is my favorite Apple product. It is built like a tank, I don't see it going anywhere. The fact that it has optical port makes it absolutely future proof.

Just a heads up to everyone else using the last gen AirPort Express: the AirPlay2 enabled firmware has a bug which brings an audible hum to the output. I also use AE with my hi-fi as it is in my daughter's room now and not a daily driver anymore. But Belkin's AirPlay adapter has much better sound.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
A great revisionist video about this device. I still own what Bose released against it and love it.

zpjet

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2005
Still rockin’ mine, connected to AirPort Express (which also shares a LaserJet) with an optical cable. Fitted in a bookshelf nicely, it plays an internet radio via AirPlay while I work. I don’t hang onto old stuff, but this kit is great. Oh and I occasionally take it to a picnic or a party.

zpjet

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2005
This is my favorite Apple product. It is built like a tank, I don't see it going anywhere. The fact that it has optical port makes it absolutely future proof.

Just a heads up to everyone else using the last gen AirPort Express: the AirPlay2 enabled firmware has a bug which brings an audible hum to the output. I also use AE with my hi-fi as it is in my daughter's room now and not a daily driver anymore. But Belkin's AirPlay adapter has much better sound.
I’ve never noticed a hum but perhaps it’s because I use an optical cable between the AE and iH

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
It sounded great and had the 'portability' (if you were Superman) but it launched at a higher price than the better-sounding Bose Soundock so never really stood much of a chance. I worked in electrical retail at the time and we frequently had the AHF, Bose and B&W Zeppellin on comparison.

Reactions: wanha

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
iPod Hifi: "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father."

HP Gen 1: "He told me enough! He told me you killed him!"

iPod Hifi: "No. I am your father." ;)

Great sound, fairly portable, somewhat like the modern day variations of the boombox... BUT... too locked down (though, unlike HPs, at least it had an optical input to use with other sources), too relatively expensive, etc.

About 10 years later: "Let's roll out another branded speaker... but this time let's make it even more locked down (no AUX input at all) and offer it at the 'same great price' popularly judged as 'too expensive' before."

So then "Luke" was discontinued and < 2 years after Luke "went missing", "Rey" is rolled out with cuts in hardware (tweeters and microphones) to then basically offer what otherwise appeared to be the same for $50 less. "And let's make it so that Rey can't stereo pair with Luke so that one must buy TWO Reys if they want stereo." Insert that Emperor Palpatine laugh here.
You missed the Han “Beats” Solo pun.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

nymphe

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2009
Is there a resonable adapter for iphone 8 or above? Almost all adapters I found have 3.5mm jack or they are with cable, so that iphone won't sit on it. I'm using iphone 4S for the purpose, but it is getting slower each day.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
I have two, which I bought at goodwill for $25. Audio is OK, but bass levels are low. For now, they're hooked up to an Alexa and are fine for that purpose. They look great though.

There are 30 pin -> bluetooth adapters that work great. Find one that's powered by the dock connector, since that saves one cable; the amazon reviews will call that out explicitly.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I remember how, during the introduction, Jobs said it replaced his home hi-fi system, and someone from the audience ‘heckled’ him for that statement.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I loved that thing. I worked at a Circuit City at the time and sold a bunch of them. They were next to a Bose Wave Radio or whatever that thing was called and anytime people came in looking for the Bose they ended up walking out with the Apple. The sound difference was amazing.

Reactions: G5isAlive and Huck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.