Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloomfeld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
Europe, Berlin, Germany

Many products in the iPod series achieved remarkable success, but the iPod Hi-Fi wasn't one of them. The device was praised for its big rich sound, bass response, and ease of use, but its high price was a turn-off for many Apple device users. Also, the connector prominently positioned atop the speaker unit exposed docked iPods to potential knocks and damage.

Wow, already 18 years! Still using mine in conjunctiuon with a small bluetooth receiver connected via the audio jack. The minimalistic design and its heaviness are a nice touch as well.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
I’ve never noticed a hum but perhaps it’s because I use an optical cable between the AE and iH
I use optical cable as well. I didn't realise it was the AE until I've upgraded my speakers to actual hi-fi floorstanders and the hum became more noticeable there. I went back to the HiFi and started hearing it there too. I tried 3 AEs and all of them did it with the latest firmware. No hum with AirPlay1. So you might get even better sound from it if you try a different source!

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I have two, which I bought at goodwill for $25. Audio is OK, but bass levels are low. For now, they're hooked up to an Alexa and are fine for that purpose. They look great though.

There are 30 pin -> bluetooth adapters that work great. Find one that's powered by the dock connector, since that saves one cable; the amazon reviews will call that out explicitly.

You must have a couple of bad ones then. Because mine sounds amazing. I play it through airplay all the time and the sound always amazes me.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Regarding the HomePod comparisons.. I think they sound great, especially a stereo pair... when they're behaving. The software/firmware have been a nightmare for me, with all sorts of bugs and glitches (especially the skips and splitters, and stereo pair troubles) and useless Siri making things harder, like refusing to play any version of a song aside from some mediocre random live version.

I want to love the HomePods, but sadly kind of hate them. I wish I could just plug a USB cord/audio lead in and use them as dumb speakers. They're so frustrating that I'd never buy smart speakers without an input again.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Regarding the HomePod comparisons.. I think they sound great, especially a stereo pair... when they're behaving. The software/firmware have been a nightmare for me, with all sorts of bugs and glitches (especially the skips and splitters, and stereo pair troubles) and useless Siri making things harder, like refusing to play any version of a song aside from some mediocre random live version.

I want to love the HomePods, but sadly kind of hate them. I wish I could just plug a USB cord/audio lead in and use them as dumb speakers. They're so frustrating that I'd never buy smart speakers without an input again.
That’s really strange; have you done a full reset of the HomePods and tried pairing again?

I'm not trying to discount your experiences by commenting that I haven't had any issues like that with my HomePod (I only have one, so can’t comment on the pairing), so your struggles might be mostly related to having a pair and there being a glitch in one.

As for Siri, I’ll admit that I mostly use it to play set playlists of music; this means Siri plays the music I expect. There was one time someone in my family asked for a song and it played a random version, but that random version turned out to be really good. Other than that, Siri plays what I expect if I ask for a playlist or for specific songs.

I also frequently AirPlay from my phone instead of use Siri — not because I have issues with Siri — but because I’m often starting music in another room and I don’t want to shout at the HomePod.

Last edited:

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Yes! The HiFi!

I have a Home setup with a dozen Homepod Gen1’s and two of these running right alongside them through two Airport Express stations. The Express stations have optical audio out, and the DAC in the HiFi is way better than the one in iPods, so a lossless stream from Apple Music sounds fantastic on them.

Last edited:

robertmorris2

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
Key West
I’ve got about five of these. I use two for my computer speakers and one for my wife’s computer. Another one with a Bluetooth adapter for a TV. They sound great. Easy to adjust sound through the computer equalizer. I’ve seen ways to put in a rechargeable battery pack but I have no need for that.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
you can connect an AirPort Express (get one on eBay) to the audio jack, I did the same with mine
Loved that method. I had one hooked up to a set of powered bookshelf speakers for quite a while. This was pre-Spotify, so I would stream music via AirPlay from my Mac out to the AirPort Express, and I would control it all with an iPod Touch that was running the old Remote app. It worked really well! At one point I even got fancy and would also stream to my Apple TV, which was connected to my stereo in the living room. All this is of course way way easier now with HomePods.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
And HomePod seems to be doing quite well for them, wouldnt you say?
Uh, no? Do you exist in the same universe as the rest of us?

===

The iPod Hi-fi is... quite ugly. It looks like there's 6 screws visible on the front face? It seems... unusual for Apple/Jobs/Ives to have any screws visible anywhere. There's no angle from which it's particularly good looking. Honestly, I think the bottom might be the most presentable surface of the whole thing. But I'm sure that'd make it sound all wrong if it were rotated so that that were the side people saw.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I was all set to buy one when it was released, but when I listened to it at the apple store I was very disappointed with the sound quality. For the money, it should have sounded a lot better than it did.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Except HomePod had a mediocre audio quality for its price.
As someone who has a lot of money invested in audio gear, Hi-Fi’s audio quality was muddled and bass-y which is why I bought a JBL L8 instead. HomePod, OTOH, was one of the best sounding wireless speakers I’ve heard (especially for its size) which is why I bought 3.

If I want to hear music at its best, though, I’ll listen to my main stereo which blows all of them away 😁

• Love

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
A friend of mine had one of these and it sounded great.

The only reason I didn't buy one simply because it didn't have a rechargeable battery - being forced to continually replace 6 d-cell batteries was both expensive and a pain in the rear.

I would personally love it Apple ever releases a new portable speaker.

Reactions: psxp

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
That’s really strange; have you done a full reset of the HomePods and tried pairing again?

I'm not trying to discount your experiences by commenting that I haven't had any issues like that with my HomePod (I only have one, so can’t comment on the pairing), so your struggles might be mostly related to having a pair and there being a glitch in one.

As for Siri, I’ll admit that I mostly use it to play set playlists of music; this means Siri plays the music I expect. There was one time someone in my family asked for a song and it played a random version, but that random version turned out to be really good. Other than that, Siri plays what I expect if I ask for a playlist or for specific songs.

I also frequently AirPlay from my phone instead of use Siri — not because I have issues with Siri — but because I’m often starting music in another room and I don’t want to shout at the HomePod.
I tried all sorts, and Apple tried a variety of things their side too. They'd have given me a new one but I've moved countries 5 times in 5 years and it's never timed well, as some of the problems are intermittent. 😅🤦‍♂️ I think the first of my two was the glitchy one. Though weirdly it didn't misbehave for the first 6 months before I bought the second. The second doesn't mess up nearly as much on its own. One reason for the early delays in the replacement was Apple shifting the blame onto my WiFi network. However the problems have persisted on and off in every country, on a variety of routers. Now I have a new ASUS router and the problems are the least they have been for years, but I don't know if that was the router or an update.

The primary "bug" is the 15 second skip, which is documented on the net in a variety of Apple products, and might be a problem outside of the device... Apple have suggested resetting my account and wiping all my saved music, which would be quite a pain as I have a lot saved.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

prombough

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2014
Montreal
They did sound great, and you can find them used. I had one in house for a while to test and compare it. You can hook up a Chromecast Audio to it (If you can find one, I still have a couple!) and with right wire you can send digital audio to it and cast at a high quality. Same idea of course while using an AirPort Express.

Word of warning when looking for this kind of thing in the used market. The Kanto iPod dock sounds better in my opinion. But both can have components that are no longer good and continually "hum". So test it well before you buy. But hey, for the 50 dollars you can find them both for these days, it's worth it to try.

Kevin2055

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2015

Reflecting on the iPod Hi-Fi, launched 18 years ago, many long-time readers may remember it as Apple's ambitious foray into the home audio market, long before smart speakers were a thing.

ipod-hi-fi.jpg

Priced at $349, it promised audiophile-quality sound within a compact design, offering home audio without the clutter of traditional stereo components. It featured a built-in Universal Dock for iPods, providing a seamless integration that allowed users to charge their device while playing music.

With its capability to produce a wide frequency range and room-filling sound without distortion, the iPod Hi-Fi combined Jony Ive's minimalist design aesthetic and high-quality audio performance. Its versatility was further highlighted by the inclusion of an Apple Remote, and the option for AC or battery power, making it portable.

Many products in the iPod series achieved remarkable success, but the iPod Hi-Fi wasn't one of them. The device was praised for its big rich sound, bass response, and ease of use, but its high price was a turn-off for many Apple device users. Also, the connector prominently positioned atop the speaker unit exposed docked iPods to potential knocks and damage.

Despite its innovative features, the iPod Hi-Fi remained a niche product in Apple's lineup, and the combination iPod dock/speaker system never took off. Apple discontinued it on September 5, 2007, just 554 days after its launch.

Article Link: Apple's iPod Hi-Fi Launched 18 Years Ago – and Lasted Just 554 Days
“The device was praised for its big rich sound, bass response, and ease of use, but its high price was a turn-off for many Apple device users.”

Talking about AVP?

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Uh, no? Do you exist in the same universe as the rest of us?

===

The iPod Hi-fi is... quite ugly. It looks like there's 6 screws visible on the front face? It seems... unusual for Apple/Jobs/Ives to have any screws visible anywhere. There's no angle from which it's particularly good looking. Honestly, I think the bottom might be the most presentable surface of the whole thing. But I'm sure that'd make it sound all wrong if it were rotated so that that were the side people saw.
uh yes.

As a happy owner of 8 of them all round the house and enjoying the sound quality they give....

My universe is lovely thanks. I think they are doing OK - the minis especially sell well... the OG 2.0s would never have been a thing if the minis didnt do well.

Are you privy to the sales figures of HomePods? Got a direct line to uncle Timmy there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.