Apple's Joswiak on iPhone Copy and Paste, GPS Driving Directions

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 14, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

ExtremeTech reports that they were able to talk to Apple's head of iPod and iPhone marketing, Greg Joswiak, on launch day. They asked two very common questions about possible features of Apple's iPhone.

When asked about the iPhone's lack of copy and paste functionality, Joswiak stated that they were not specifically against the feature, they have a prioritized list of features and were only able to get down the list so far with this product release. As a result, it seems copy and paste may still be a possibility in a future software update.

The author also asked about David Pogue's suggestion that the iPhone's GPS antenna was too small to accommodate a turn-by-turn navigation application. According to Joswiak, this is untrue. Instead he points to "complicated issues" surrounding driving applications but promises "It will evolve. I think our developers will amaze us." Indeed, TeleNav has already claimed that they are working on this exact product for release in the App Store.

Apple announced that they had sold over 1 million iPhone 3Gs this weekend. There continue to be long lines at Apple Stores across the country for the iPhone. Despite some early complaints about price plans in Canada, Rogers announced today that they nearly sold out of the iPhone and had "the best weekend sales of a handset" in their history.

Article Link

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. Stormybot macrumors member

Please please add copy and paste. Some of us have been waiting for this since the initial release.

4. jkr801 macrumors newbie

i like this because c and p wont require buying a new phone boooya

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I called all 4 Apple Stores in South Florida just now and there are at least 2 hour waits at all of them (with the exception of the Galleria in Fort Lauderdale which is just plain sold out). I just got home from a trip and was hoping to upgrade my iPhone today but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. =(

6. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

if the turn by turn gps comes to fruition i will have to upgrade. i'd really love turn by turn directions in the palm of my hand at any time.

7. Snacks macrumors newbie

Snacks

Copy & Paste:
    They just can't implement it properly it seems. Otherwise, why not just add it, doesn't make sense.

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

That's is one thing that is so great about the phone in general. So much is controlled by software...

9. AaronHeth macrumors member

Hadn't someone official said that copy and paste was being worked on before? They were just looking at different modes of implementation.

If the features added in the 2.0 software update (besides the app store) were part of these prioritized feature list, we may have a while to go. Mass Delete and Move were requests from launch, essentially (along with the 1.1.4 update of sending texts to multiple users.)

Since the App Store I'm sure took quite a bit of time to develop, maybe new, more minor features will come more quickly. I'm sure Copy/Paste is the next "App Store" feature we'll see. Maybe a file browser after that.

Good to know they have a list of features they still want to implement though. Hopefully they keep small additions coming between now and next year.

10. Billy M macrumors newbie

where's MMS play into this scheme? i think the iPhone might be the only phone at&t sells without picture messaging...

11. eastcoastsurfer macrumors 6502a

They have to wait a sufficient amount of time so that when they do add it they can claim they invented MMS messaging. You apparently have stepped outside the RDF! ;)

12. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Maybe I'm dense or something, but it seems to me that a GPS device specifically meant for a car, such as the Garmin Nuvi, is MUCH more suited to this task than the small iPhone! I wouldn't want to try driving and holding my iPhone in one hand and glancing at it all the time while attempting to find my way around a strange area. My Nuvi talks to me, tells me aloud where to ake my turns and at the same time I can glance at it quickly in its position on my dashboard to check the route.

Now for walking, yes, that would be fun to be strolling around a new neighborhood with the iPhone providing specific directions to the nearest Starbucks or whatever! It more or less already does that now, though.....

13. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I really don't know what the hubbub is about copy and paste. Rarely am I in a situation on my phone where I feel copy and paste would be great to have.

I understand I'm the minority here.

14. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I wonder if anyone has any market research on the percentage of users who actually use this feature... (I know its needed and highly requested but Im wondering anyway)

15. Frisco macrumors 68020

Hey I'm still waiting for Cut & Paste in OS X.

16. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

GPS helped me find where I needed to go today in the car - albeit quite dangerously! Google Maps is surprisingly hard to use while driving!

17. djcraze macrumors regular

djcraze

you can get a holder for the phone, and I guarantee there will be a talking function that speaks the directions as you go.

18. koala macrumors newbie

Well, hopefully iPhone GPS will eventually talk to you too, so you wouldn't have to be looking at it.

I agree that a dedicated device will always be better, but I'd rather have my iPhone do the job if possible, so I don't have to buy another device, mount it in the car, make sure it's secured against theft, etc, etc, etc.

19. nigrunze macrumors regular

Hey Rogers, that's a good one. Your company managed to sell a maximum of 10000 phones over a weekend. If you offer voice plans with a good value instead of terrible value, remove the system access fee, and offer call display by default, then you'll gain about 80000 customers instead of 10000. Anyway, congratulations on your ridiculously high profit margin, because it's not the customer satisfaction that matters, it's how much money your company can make per day.

20. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

For some reason I have this scenario in my head with my iPhone in a holster mounted on my dash whenever I need it. I get lost and just bring up the GPS and am good to go. It's got a decent speaker, a nice sized screen and amazinf portability - the only thing holding it back is if the GPS can't track fast enough. I mean, GP systems connect to 8 satellites at once...I don;t know if the iPhone is capable of that.

21. shyfidelity macrumors newbie

And what about video recording? Can that be implemented with a software update?

22. katewes macrumors 6502

What about syncing of to-do/task items with iCal and MobileMe. Leopard (and even Tiger) users have asked for this for ages. It seems, once Apple thinks something is low priority, they don't listen to their Apple users.

23. macnerd77 macrumors 6502

macnerd77

1 million iphone 3G's in 3 days. That must be a world record for product sales

24. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

If you were truly in the minority, then cut and paste would already be implemented. It's just a very vocal minority that wants it.

25. egor macrumors regular

I read the title and thought 'Joswiak' was some Apple fanboy lingo I didn't know of, a mix of Jobs and Wozniak.

Aside from that, all I have to say is copy and paste is missing, what about picture messaging?!? I mean, the latter is something you expect a phone to do, the former a smart phone.