Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
GPS helped me find where I needed to go today in the car - albeit quite dangerously! Google Maps is surprisingly hard to use while driving!

I've done this many times with the v1 iPhone. I've noticed with the 2.0 software it updates much better while moving than before though.

TalkAboutApple

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Just a guess on the GPS...the strength of portable GPS devices is that they have a huge map and POI database available directly to the software. I'm guessing it takes at least 1GB of data for this.

And sorry Google, to me there is nothing nicer than "real" data on the device and not depending on Edge/3G/WiFi when you're lost in a remote area.

So then, how would Apple distribute this app via iTunes? Very slowly! Maybe that's the problem?

gmcbay

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2006
Just speculating here but it sounds like the GPS in the iPhone will work just fine for turn by turn directions but Apple just doesn't want to do or say anything that opens them up to legal liability should anyone get in an accident while using a driving directions product. By just being the platform vendor and letting other companies like TomTom provide the software, they avoid getting involved directly.

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
Copy & Paste:
They just can't implement it properly it seems. Otherwise, why not just add it, doesn't make sense.

Agreed.

I believe it's solely a problem of implementation (as in the correct manipulation of gesture input). Here is a proof of concept video that demonstrates the functionality of copy/paste; while I am aware that the video is old, the functionality seems to be working quite seamlessly.

idyll

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up to date.. What is wrong with the iPhone's GPS? I was looking to upgrade from my 2G mainly for that reason alone

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I really don't know what the hubbub is about copy and paste. Rarely am I in a situation on my phone where I feel copy and paste would be great to have.

I understand I'm the minority here.

i think there were two or three instances in the last year where i could've used it.. but it is lame that they haven't made it yet, for a lot of people felt strongly about their need for it..

gmcbay

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2006
Just a guess on the GPS...the strength of portable GPS devices is that they have a huge map and POI database available directly to the software. I'm guessing it takes at least 1GB of data for this.

And sorry Google, to me there is nothing nicer than "real" data on the device and not depending on Edge/3G/WiFi when you're lost in a remote area.

So then, how would Apple distribute this app via iTunes? Very slowly! Maybe that's the problem?

Non-satellite map data isn't as big as you'd think since it is mostly just vector data and street names in text. Also for most uses you can get away with just having a small subset of the entire street network on your device. How many people drive all over the US all the time? I wouldn't be surprised to see a mapping application with separate data packs like one for each state or something, so if you only ever drive in California and Arizona, just download those instead of the entire US.

Judo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2002
New Zealand
I read the title and thought 'Joswiak' was some Apple fanboy lingo I didn't know of, a mix of Jobs and Wozniak.

Aside from that, all I have to say is copy and paste is missing, what about picture messaging?!? I mean, the latter is something you expect a phone to do, the former a smart phone.

Yea. Greg really should change his name to Steve.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I really don't know what the hubbub is about copy and paste. Rarely am I in a situation on my phone where I feel copy and paste would be great to have.

My beef is with things like tracking numbers or phone numbers that don't get picked up correctly. I would love to simply copy and paste, or do things like grab a link from a Web page to send to a friend instead of shooting off an entire new e-mail if I feel like sending two. There are about a billion use cases for such a feature, which is why it's such a shame it's MIA with no sign of future release.

As with most things thus far, it seems like the more we moan about the more attention it gets--even from Apple (see flush headphone jack, speaker volume, on-screen shortcuts, etc.)

thecartoonguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008

I with you. I just don't see the great need for this.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It's cool we finally have confirmation there is no philosophical opposition to copy and paste, yet it's hard for me to believe that got pushed so far down the priority list that it didn't even make 2.0 software, because almost everyone I know (myself included) lists copy and paste as one of their top 3 priorities for iPhone software, if not #1. It may take more time to implement than some other features, but it should nonetheless be a top, TOP priority.

rctshack

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2007
I with you. I just don't see the great need for this.

I seem to be in the minority that need to use it a lot. I get a lot of texts from people asking me to send them a phone number of a someone else... and instead of trying to memorize it... or writing it down elsewhere... It would be nice to copy and paste it. Same with text messages that would be similar but not exactly the same texts to multiple people. I would use it a lot for e-mailing or sharing sections of e-mails. And now with all the new apps coming out, there will most likely be more reasons to use it.

Above copy and paste (which seemed like something that should have been released instantly with the original phone) I think it's a joke that picture messaging isn't an option. I'm sorry... but my stupid flip phone that cost $80 4 years ago had picture messaging... so why is the iphone having issues with that? Or at least let us receive others... cause the dumb website rarely works for me and it's a hassle to log in to view something everyone else with cheaper phones can see. I wish they would at least give a good reason why it's not available... and work aggressively to fix it.

I can take geo-tagged images, play games that know which way i move, e-mail and surf the real web, play 16 gigs worth of music, chat on aim, but I can't copy and paste or picture message... somethings wrong with this picture... pun intended.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I'm sure Copy/Paste is the next "App Store" feature we'll see. Maybe a file browser after that.
Maybe, but the problem is Apple restricts running applications (those that aren't from Apple) as background processes, making it difficult if not impossible to implement something like copy/paste which must be a global service. The file browser is more likely, although Apple hasn't officially implemented a sandboxed general storage area yes AFAIK (but signs are they probably will at some point).

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I have a windows mobile phone with really easy copy and paste.

I almost never use the function, and wouldn't really miss it if it stopped working. It's quite easy for me to add new numbers to contacts, forward numbers etc without using copy and paste. (there are menu options for send number, add number to contacts etc)

I do use it sometimes so it's on the list of 'nice-to-have' things.

shyfidelity

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
i am sure that video recording can be implemented with a software update. The iphone community has had a video recording app for jail broken iPhones for quite some time.

Woot!!! It seems like all of the lingering iPhone gripes are solvable in the current gen. It's just a matter of waiting for the software to catch up with the hardware.

iPhone here I come!

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
I have a vision of the engineering team bringing a copy and paste imlementation to el Jobso and he says "This sucks!" and throws the phone and the engineer out the window. And again... and again.... I'll be they've been through a couple of iterations already. They must just not be satisfied with the elegance of the solution yet.

As for GPS navigation: what happens when a call comes in? Can any application be running when the phone is in use?

WindowsGuy

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
GPS TelNav

Check the prices that TelNav currently charges for Mobile Voice Turn by Turn directions.

$99/year. I'm a little peaved that Apple is relying on 3rd party developers to write this.

If you are driving alone GPS is useless. Most business people are driving solo when they would be using the built in follow the blue Google Map. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Very disappointing considering this is Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.