Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I don't think you realize just how amazing this is. It's a lot harder than you might assume, and goes way beyond just "mapping it out."
Nearly every software/hardware engineer can do this. This is standard. Students do that in their free time. Oh yeah, it comes from Apple so it must be complicated, and the average customer thinks complicated = good.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Intelligent cable: the computer chip is there so you don't have to flip it! What a great innovation. Can I get AppleCare with it?

Sounds like a typical American solution. Reminds me a story when Americans spent $10 million to develop a pen for astronauts. Russians just used pencil.

So get your credit card ready to pay $30 for each cable instead of $0.99 for USB.

You don't get it, clearly. This cable can do a lot more than charge on both sides. Very, very intelligent solution. Your pencil story is not equivalent.

wotfan

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
Speaking as an electrical engineer, this is NOT amazing. Reversible connectors have existed for ages, and they merely fixed the flaws in their existing connector.

This is an evolutionary improvement of their connector.

Real innovation would be if they did some speed increase beyond what would be expected from Moore's law, or if they ended up getting MagSafe to work with this, or if they came up with another physical achievement.
Speaking as an electrical engineer, you missed the point entirely. The innovation isn't in the fact that the cable is reversible. The innovation is in the hardware and software that allows the function of the pins to change depending on the requirements of the device that is connected.

Maybe you should have read the article and previous posts before you jumped in trying to impress us with your degree.

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011

Thank you for seeing my point. You need to use a protocol designed for smartphones for multiplexing a digital video signal onto a single pair and adaptively switching it with the USB OTG signal. My money is on Apple having gone with MHL's biggest competitor, MyDP.

I do not see an example.

The USB 3.0 Micro-AB connector is roughly twice the size of a USB 2.0 Micro-AB. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Connector_USB_3_IMGP6033_wp_.jpg
Or did you need an example of the fact that this whole USB 3.0 thing might take off in the next few years?

Apple does not need to increase the size of their connector in the near future, they can support VGA output for projectors, they don't have to pay a licensing fee to Silicon Image...

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Apple Incompatibility FTW!

Really, 30.00 US$ cables are “genius”. I understand.

i work in a large engineering research organisation and most of my colleagues were impressed by the magsafe in my macbook. its a simple technology, nothing complicated. but its amazing, convenient and beautifully executed, down to the color of the LED and their placement on both sides of the adaptor. thats what set apart apple from the rest of the so called 'genius' pack :)

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012

devsfan1830

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
VA
I don't know why I feel the need to post it here, but the folks (idiots) over on DVICE seem to think this chip is meant to prevent 3rd parties from making the cable. That the chip is an authentication device. I tried to post a link to this article in the comments to show that the chip is in fact necessary to accommodate dynamic pin reassignment It was initially posted but 30 mins later my entire post was deleted. Gotta love the lack of fact checking and lack of admitting that they are wrong on tech blogs these days. MacRumors is one of the few good ones left.

On a side note, I was happy to discover that my Alpine head unit doesn't need the 30-pin adapter. It has a female USB cable that used a 30-pin to USB sync cable to run my old phone. I just popped the new lightning cable into the USB and it work just as well. If anyone has a car kit that is nothing more than a non-apple sync cable into a USB port, try the new cable first before ordering the 30 dollar adapter. You might be able save a few buck. I assume the real use for the adapter is all those docks with fixed 30-pin plugs.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Speaking as an electrical engineer, this is NOT amazing. Reversible connectors have existed for ages, and they merely fixed the flaws in their existing connector.

This is an evolutionary improvement of their connector.

Real innovation would be if they did some speed increase beyond what would be expected from Moore's law, or if they ended up getting MagSafe to work with this, or if they came up with another physical achievement.

Electrical engineer, eh? Then hopefully you understand that reversible connectors are NOT the only innovation here, right? More like the ability to be compatible with (almost*) every conceivable accessory using (almost*) every conceivable standard.

*accessories/standards that can be made to work using ≤ 9 pins, of course.

Nearly every software/hardware engineer can do this. This is standard. Students do that in their free time. Oh yeah, it comes from Apple so it must be complicated, and the average customer thinks complicated = good.

...I don't even know what to say to this. See what I wrote above.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The impression I got (though never looked into it in much depth) is that the head units that allow remote control of the iPhone and display track/playlist info provided by the iPhone are still going to work, it's devices that actually mirror the iPhone's display that will no longer function due to the lack of video out.

Sounds like that's the case! I actually found a thread on the Apple forums where people are discussing the Alpine IDA series HUs ... iOS 6 seems fine on 4/4S, iPhone 5 with the L>>USB cable does not (no surprise), and everyone is waiting on their L>>Dock adapters to arrive to test.

Apparently, Alpine can't confirm operation, but did say they would have their own cable (to replace their USB>30 pin pigtail).

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't know why I feel the need to post it here, but the folks (idiots) over on DVICE seem to think this chip is meant to prevent 3rd parties from making the cable. That the chip is an authentication device. I tried to post a link to this article in the comments to show that the chip is in fact necessary to accommodate dynamic pin reassignment It was initially posted but 30 mins later my entire post was deleted. Gotta love the lack of fact checking and lack of admitting that they are wrong on tech blogs these days. MacRumors is one of the few good ones left.

If you are James D. then your post is still on dvice. What a BS article too....

But people need stuff to complain about. I was cool with the back-and-forth between Android people and Apple people but this complaining because Apple changed a 10 year old connector for the better is really pathetic.

Death-T

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
It's a phone charger.
Apple fans: Not just ANY phone charger, it's a revolutionary phone charger the likes of which our phones have never seen before! It's incredible and lightning fast!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Can you tell us what love has to do with incompatible interfaces on Apple devices? I think you do not have any arguments.

Can you tell us what killed your sense of humor? :D

Every interface in the world is incompatible with something, so I'm not sure what it is you're trying to get at. Perhaps you're one of those people that think we should be using a 30-pin connector 20 years from now?

----------

It's a phone charger.

The connector on almost every mobile device out there is more than a phone charger. That statement alone shows your inability to grasp the situation.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It's a phone charger.
Apple fans: Not just ANY phone charger, it's a revolutionary phone charger the likes of which our phones have never seen before! It's incredible and lightning fast!

*Sigh* wrong.

Go back and actually read the article. Otherwise, go troll somewhere else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.