Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
It's crazy. At the local best buy these sell for $39. At that price it better flippin do my laundry for me too.

You must be looking at the wrong part because they are $19.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you aren't living in the US. My apologies.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Yea yea, Apple says it'll be able to do this and that and make pancakes BUT will it ever be implemented?? Will it ever become a reality, like sometime soon?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...I don't even know what to say to this. See what I wrote above.
In my country, students design their own data transport protocols, write software for FPGAs, controller chips and so on. We have a very high average education level. That's probably the difference, and the reason why you are not able to understand, what i say. You are probably too young (not a student at a university). That's ok. But please do not tell us, Apples work is above the average, regarding a simple active cable. It is not the first active cable in the world, and therefore not revolutionary.

Malmer

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
This is why apple thinks wireless charging is a bad idea. Not because it is a bad idea (it isn't) or that it would exclude wired charging aswell (it doesn't) but because together with NFC pairing it would make the entire accessory market non-device specific. Accessories would simply work with everything. Android, iOS or Windows Phone. It wouldn't matter. Apple makes loads of money selling licenses for their proprietary connectors and standards and selling the cables with a high margin. A classic apple 30-pin iphone connector costs 10 times as much as a microusb cable. Does not cost 10 times as much to make.

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
Intelligent cable: the computer chip is there so you don't have to flip it! What a great innovation. Can I get AppleCare with it?

Sounds like a typical American solution. Reminds me a story when Americans spent $10 million to develop a pen for astronauts. Russians just used pencil.

So get your credit card ready to pay $30 for each cable instead of $0.99 for USB.

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
In my country, students design their own data transport protocols, write software for FPGAs, controller chips and so on. We have a very high average education level. That's probably the difference, and the reason why you are not able to understand, what i say. You are probably too young (not a student at a university). That's ok. But please do not tell us, Apples work is above the average, regarding a simple active cable. It is not the first active cable in the world, and therefore not revolutionary.

Feel better now?

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Sound check

Ah yes, new connector...nice.

But how does it SOUND? Over on the digital audio sites (etc). There is quite a bit of complaining regarding the THUNDERBOLT killing sound quality.

The major complaint is that the smarter cables, connectors, what have you, screw up the music files (?) Please understand that this is the same group that will not upgrade to Lion for the same reason.

Will this new connector have any adverse quality issues when music files are transferred or when we use our new devices as a source for more critical listening?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
This is why apple thinks wireless charging is a bad idea. Not because it is a bad idea (it isn't) or that it would exclude wired charging aswell (it doesn't) but because together with NFC pairing it would make the entire accessory market non-device specific. Accessories would simply work with everything. Android, iOS or Windows Phone. It wouldn't matter. Apple makes loads of money selling licenses for their proprietary connectors and standards and selling the cables with a high margin. A classic apple 30-pin iphone connector costs 10 times as much as a microusb cable. Does not cost 10 times as much to make.

Not buying it. If that was really all that was stopping them, they'd throw in some sort of verification chip on the inductive chargers as well.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012

That's a rather naive and narrow-minded way of looking at innovations.

Even if it's not the first active cable, it can still be innovative in many ways; just like the iOS and Android are not the first smartphone OS but they can still be innovative today and tomorrow.

Keita123

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2012
Here's your cue samsung!

With Apple's new Lightning connector on the iPhone 5 dropping to just eight contact pins from the 30 pins seen in the original dock connector and gaining the ability to be inserted in either orientation, many have wondered just how Apple has been able to maintain most of the functions of the original dock connector. Others have wondered why Apple simply didn't shift to micro-USB, an existing standard in a comparable form factor.

Developer Rainer Brockerhoff has been examining Lightning's technical features and over the weekend outlined his thinking on how the "adaptive" nature of the Lightning connector highlighted by Apple during the technology's introduction at the iPhone 5 media event has enabled flexible functionality with a minimum of pins. Brockerhoff notes that the Lightning connector appears able to sense what kinds of devices are being connected and to use chips embedded in the cable to assign pin functionalities appropriate for each situation.Double Helix Cables has now shared with AppleInsider a mapping of the pins on the two sides of the Lightning connector, demonstrating that this adaptive assignment of pin functions is required for the reversible nature of the plug.

Mapping of pins in Apple's new Lightning connector
The adaptive nature of the Lightning connector may explain to some degree the rather high cost of cables and adapters for the new standard, as the $29 and $39 adapters for connecting 30-pin dock accessories to Lightning-equipped devices are required to contain hardware capable of working with the dynamically assigned pin functions. In addition, the adaptive nature indicates that the same Lightning interface could evolve over time to support new technologies within existing hardware.

Article Link: Apple's Lightning Connector Uses Adaptive Technology to Dynamically Assign Pin Functions[/QUOTE]

Malmer

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Not buying it. If that was really all that was stopping them, they'd throw in some sort of verification chip on the inductive chargers as well.

But then they wouldn't follow the widely accepted Qi standard and it wouldn't work in public places, such as airports and such.

Sure, they could develop their own standard for wireless charging aswell, but I don't think they could sell proposition, since there is nothing really wrong with the Qi standard that needs to be changed.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Ah yes, new connector...nice.

But how does it SOUND? Over on the digital audio sites (etc). There is quite a bit of complaining regarding the THUNDERBOLT killing sound quality.

The major complaint is that the smarter cables, connectors, what have you, screw up the music files (?) Please understand that this is the same group that will not upgrade to Lion for the same reason.

Will this new connector have any adverse quality issues when music files are transferred or when we use our new devices as a source for more critical listening?

No one will know until they try it.

Supposedly it's based on the MyDP specs.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
But then they wouldn't follow the widely accepted Qi standard and it wouldn't work in public places, such as airports and such.

Sure, they could develop their own standard for wireless charging aswell, but I don't think they could sell proposition, since there is nothing really wrong with the Qi standard that needs to be changed.

But that's exactly what you are arguing, that they developed their own standard to sell accessories. You can't argue both sides. Doesn't work that way.

Sorry, but this is one of those situations where Apple saw a problem and came up with an innovative solution. And I also agree with inductive charging. I was tempted several times to get a Qi setup, but I never really found that it offered enough of a benefit. There are too many other times I need to plug in the device. Carrying around an inductive mat just wasn't realistic. So why have 2 different charging solutions? It's a waste.

Edit: AND, the drawbacks of inductive charging FAR outweigh the benefits. Works great for a toothbrush, but not a highly mobile communication device.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Hahaha, I guess that depends on the listener and how phile-ish they are :D I have friends that make $5K purchases that "improve" the SQ, and I can't tell the difference.

I figured the high end audio crowd would use FLAC and some kind of exotic outboard DAC ... probably with a tube amp :D

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
My friend, if one engineer could simply do that in half a day, then why was the patent granted 2 years ago
Because they wanted the patent? They have a patent for round corners (iPad; Apple-Samsung lawsuit), why not for this nonsense?

why didn't anyone else do it
Because it is superfluous, incompatible, non-EU, non-World-standard nonsense. They want a closed systems like iTunes, App Store and the Retina MBP.

and more importantly, why didn't you think before you type?
A personal attack on some person is not an argument. You should know that.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Or the much more logical reason:

Wireless charging is a gimmick. Until Witricity - or something akin to it - becomes mainstream, wireless charging won't be any more convenient than wired charging therefore Apple doesn't feel the need to waste space in the device for it.

The new connector is nothing more than a forward thinking change that needed to made so they could decrease the overall thinness of the device/add more components inside. I'm not sure if there are any widely used connection standards that haven't changed at all in the last 10 years.

I just moved and went through a box yesterday and found 4 different types of micro/mini USB cables....have no idea what ones go with what device (devices I no longer have).

Apple's change in the connector is not some attempt at money-grabbing (I doubt they are terribly concerned with their profit margins from spare cables). Simply they needed to reduce the size of the adapter and decided to come up with a connector that will adapt with changing technologies over time - without needing to change the physical cable itself.

I don't know what you people have to complain about....

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Battery Technology has been advanced quite a bit. Most batteries in apple devices can be recharged 1000 times. Longer lasting, in smaller sizes. I think thats quite advanced for what it is.

Read a few articles on the subject. While battery technology HAS advanced, it's widely regarded as the slowest advancement in most mobile technology. It is the bottleneck.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

Then why did they include Bluetooth and start including BT 4 recently?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Because they wanted the patent? They have a patent for round corners (iPad; Apple-Samsung lawsuit), why not for this nonsense?

Because it is superfluous, incompatible, non-EU, non-World-standard nonsense. They want a closed systems like iTunes, App Store and the Retina MBP.

A personal attack on some person is not an argument. You should know that.

The idea that somehow Apple's app store is the only one of the major app stores to somehow be closed (when last I checked I can't install my Android apps on my iPhone or W8 device either) is ridiculous. That's the whole point of having multiple OSes competing in the marketplace. Each one offers a different ecosystem/user experience. Of course one's stuff isn't going to work with the other....

So you make the argument that we shouldn't be impressed/engineers shouldn't innovate unless it is World-compatible? Apple should've just used the inferior microUSB standard instead of creating a better solution because the better solution hadn't been adopted (or invented as you've offered no proof a cable like this is being used by any major mobile device maker) by the world?

That's a ridiculous proposition.

EDIT: And for anyone curious, the new Lightning connector costs Apple 8x more to make than the original 30-pin. Just some info.

robbinsdw

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Yes. Your phone doesn't charge when doing a wireless sync (unless you have it plugged in to the wall, which would obviously require a wire anyway).

Often when I need to charge my phone I'll just plug it in to my computer and kill two birds with one stone: it syncs and then I just leave it in to charge.

I usually sync wirelessly... and in regards to everyone else's posts... I don't see how data transfer speeds make a huge deal... Even if my computer could transfer a million songs/videos in 10 seconds, I would still need to leave it plugged in much longer to charge it, if that's the selling point over wireless sync.

I understand faster is better, but I don't really think it's necessary... or at least a ground to make it a deal breaker or an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.