Apple's Live Photos Take Up About 2x Space of Normal Images

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

One of the novel new features coming in the iPhone 6s is the new Live Photos feature which captures an additional 3 seconds of video surrounding photos on the new iPhones. The new feature is on by default and allows you to take photos as usual. Apple describes it:
    Live Photos will be viewable on existing iPhones, iPads, Macs and Apple Watch devices with the latest operating systems. Apple is also opening up the API for developers to support the new format in their own apps. Facebook has already committed to supporting Live Photos in their iOS app later this year.

While few details about the new image format has been released, TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino reveals in a video that the new format will take up approximate twice the space of a normal 12MP photo. Panzarino describes that even the current iPhones start taking photos the moment the Camera app is launched, and that traditionally, only the last photo the moment the shutter is pressed is stored. The new system will simply take the surrounding photos and compress them into this new format.

Meanwhile, @DanMatte reveals that the new Live Photos format is a bundle of images based on the JPEG file format, allowing them to be easily sent as a still image to devices that don't support Live Photo. Apple's developer documents indicate that you can share the image as a regular JPEG if desired.

More details should come out as the new iPhones begin shipping on September 25th.

Article Link: Apple's Live Photos Take Up About 2x Space of Normal Images

2. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Another reason why 16gb entry level is so damn painful

4. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

At least the tier 2 is now 64, but yes it's awful.

6. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

16GB lol.

Apple please. There has to be at least one sane person who thought "we can't ship 16GB phones" inside those walls, right? RIGHT?

7. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

It says it's on by default... so I assume we turn it off?

Most of the pictures I take are to enhance my memory (price tags... parking spaces... etc...)

I don't need to go all Harry Potter on those...

8. vmistery macrumors 6502a

To be honest I was expecting them to take up a lot more space than double.

9. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

10. Fluttershy macrumors regular

Fluttershy

Will these work on the current iPhone 6 model?

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

They will display on the current iPhone 6 model (with iOS 9)

12. iSimx macrumors 6502

iSimx

I think you can view but not create live photos... You'd need iPhone 6S and plus.

13. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Err...can someone clue me in on the Harry Potter references?
    There have been two separate references on this thread and it got me curious.

Cheers!

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There is a settings selection. What I'm unclear on is how easy it is to turn it back on. I'll probably turn it off and never look back lol

15. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Apple just keeps milking their followers. 16GB entry storage and yet they've added Live Photos and 4k video recording? Sigh. At least I plan to go for the 128GB but I feel bad for those on a budget or who don't know what 16GB really means.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Their newspapers and other leaflets have videos in them.

17. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

The setting is within the photo app. It's a toggle button similar to the HDR or flash toggle.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

More or less. Think of them as hi res gifs in how they act.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If I had to guess, the phone is somewhat smart about it. The actual "video" part is stored as a lower resolution because of the fact that it won't ever be uploaded elsewhere and so it can stay to the resolution of the screen of the device its on. Then you can likely still have HDR and all that active o the still image. Just a hunch.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It was last gen too. I'd have been less frustrated if they offered the second tier at 64gb, but why would they. I've lost hope. We won't see higher than 16gb base until the OS just gets too big to conceivably expect even light apps to have room left over.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Well that's fortunate. :)

22. justiny Contributor

justiny

16, 64, 128... Anyone want to take a stab at these options?

23. iMerik macrumors 6502a

At this point, I have to believe that the 16GB is aimed squarely at businesses and the naive. It is nice that $.99/month now buys you 50GB of iCloud storage, but buyers of the 16GB should be warned that they will almost certainly be dependent on iCloud storage to effectively use their phones. Or maybe Apple could up the free tier from 5GB. Something... anything to make a 16GB phone sane.

24. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

It really helps getting to know few things about the product you buy before splashing that kind of money so I personally don't feel bad. I will go for 64GB and should be enough for me. 16GB is very low storage for this kind of tech, I agree.

25. psylence2k macrumors 6502

In the Harry Potter books, all of their illustrations are "live". Pictures in Newspapers, Books, portraits hanging on the wall, etc.

Even if the person in the picture isn't doing anything dramatic they'll still be blinking, smiling, waving, etc. They're all moving/animated pictures instead of still pictures.