Apple's Mac Sales Drop in Q4 2018 Amid Worldwide PC Shipment Decline

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. lcseds macrumors 6502a

That is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought out argument for not buying an X1 Carbon with Windows 10.
    Just kidding of course. "Sucks" is not a description that has value in any meaningful way. I use an X1 Yoga constantly with Win10 and have no drama. So while there are varying experiences with Win10 and Lenovo, "sucks" hardly explains any of them.

2. sirozha macrumors 6502a

Same here. I reject job offers if I can’t use the Mac.

3. mikethemartian macrumors regular

I would love to go back to 1984 for a visit.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Gartner and IDC don’t know crap from shinola. Has anyone ever gone back to check their previous “estimates “ once actual figures were reported?

5. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

I'd like to point you at a post a couple above yours, to show you why this is no longer the case

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...shipment-decline.2164684/page-2#post-26987848

I'm keeping my 15" 2012 cMBP, until it gives up the ghost. It's my daily home driver, but I also have a powerful Ryzen PC w/ Nvidia GPU, to do any heavy lifting I need.

I often thought about upgrading, but not at these prices, with the currently flawed models.

6. BaltimoreMediaBlog, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Clearly Tim Cook should immediately cut off 32 bit program access to all Apple iPhones and Macs.

It's a feature that will and has sparked sales. Look at the iPhone XR. And we know, nobody ever wanted to downgrade to IOS 10. :D

I predict that Tim Cook will ultimately undo all the advantages of the iPhone & Mac that Steve Jobs worked so hard to create. He's a bean counter by nature and that is what they do. He is after all a "Fuqua" Businesses Scholar. :D

And finally, "economic uncertainty in countries, including the U.S." ??? Are you kidding me? America had the best economy last year in 60 YEARS! And that's simply economic data, not opinion. If people aren't buying, it's because you must be making crappy products or not ones they want.

7. Princejb134 macrumors regular

maybe windows users are embarrassed of their pc

8. eatrains macrumors regular

Is everyone here missing the fact that the Mac's market share went UP from the year ago?

9. Niko Todd macrumors newbie

Niko Todd

People complain about the less frequent model upgrades as if that somehow proves they're slower and worse than their contemporary PC counterparts.
    Let me explain something: PC's get upgrades more frequently because they AGE FASTER! Upgrades in the PC world are a vital necessity, not an advantage. PC's need constantly to compensate the lack of software/drivers optimization with a brute horse power. And that need invokes demand for developing faster tech components at a quicker rate. It's nothing to do with being better.
    People should stop being stupid and drooling over tech. specs and bigger numbers. If you enjoy video games and RGB glowing crappy kitch, go ahead - switch, just stop trolling and misleading people with your BS!

10. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I don't get it: I could not live without a pc or laptop. I guess I'm not representative
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    That women in the '80's wore legwarmers proves global warming

11. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

Nobody wants your overpriced and underdeveloped computers, Apple. Go back to the 2013-2015 MacBook Pros. Fix the bloody keyboard already. Lower your prices.

We will also not be subscribing to your lame tv service that you will probably try overcharging for too.

12. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

It is the OS:mad:.

13. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

14. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

'Though sales were down during the holiday quarter, Apple could see some pickup in the future thanks to the October release of the new MacBook Air, a more affordable alternative to the MacBook Pro.'

While the added features are nice the price difference between these models is not very much at all here in Oz.
    $1849 vs $1899 for the 128 versions.

15. citysnaps macrumors 601

You are assuming Apple's customer base is made up of people who are only just like you, with the same computing requirements and needs.

There are millions of people who are not. And just need a device to surf the net, send and receive email, play some music, write a letter, keep track of appointments and meetings on a calendar with reminders, watch a video now and then, make a home budgeting spreadsheet, store/view some photos, etc, etc.

For many people a tablet is ideal.

16. RandomDSdevel macrumors member

----Honestly, I want a keynote this blasted month. I'm leaning more and more towards jumping ship from the Apple ecosystem as it is, distasteful as the thought remains.

17. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Agreed. Say what you will about Apple these days, but Windows is pretty much as terrible to use as ever (if not more). ha ha ;)

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Yes, I am issued that PC and cannot use anything else. I would say much of my problem with it has to do with the overbearing security software, but most of that software is Lenovo-branded.

19. jjudson macrumors member

Lenovo's share capture comes from corporate standardization on that platform for business. I'm seeing a lot of them as company laptops now.

20. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Cosmosent

IMO, AAPL needs to adopt UIKit for (native) Mac App Development !

Unless / Until that happens, AAPL will remain in 4th place in Unit Sales.

Tim Cook is a Bean Counter & probably has NO clue how best to get the ball rolling in the Mac product line ... prices are too high, & Mac App Development is less than ideal.

21. SSDGUY macrumors 6502

Maybe Ford vs Toyota or possibly Lexus. The differences are not quite that remarkable anymore.

22. mistasopz macrumors 6502

Not surprised. Low power, over-priced, gimmicky touchbar, poor keyboard and defective 'dust-gate' design, abysmal graphics performance. The only compelling thing about apple laptops these days is the track pad and OS X (or macOS or whatever they're calling it these days). And the latter of the two is becoming pretty stagnant.

23. rizzo41999 macrumors 6502

rizzo41999

Ended up building my own PC. Saved thousands. Still using my exisiting Mac.

24. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

Imagine what could have been with a more thoroughly tested T2 based line-up and more competitive pricing.

25. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus