Apple's Mac Sales Drop in Q4 2018 Amid Worldwide PC Shipment Decline

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

The facts kind of ruin that argument.

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

What the h*ll would one expect with so overpriced models? Of course people will think twice before paying the Apple tax... (Same case as with the new iPhones.)

3. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

No they don't. Mac sales are down, and most people use Windows 10 anyway even though it's garbage.

4. YaBe macrumors 6502

YaBe

They will solve this by not supporting older machines with the next OSX , give them time and they will force update soon and sales will rise again ;)

5. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

Best economy last year in 60 years? You do understand your monetary System, right?

6. fokmik macrumors 68040

Yep,making the next macos supported only by maca with t1 and t2 chip will resolve this

7. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

8. jasonefmonk, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

jasonefmonk macrumors regular

I’m not very well practised in Numbers, but I threw this together at the time the last MBPs were released. The prices don’t seem too far different from years past, especially if adjusted for inflation.

[​IMG]

9. Chambers McMac macrumors newbie

Chambers McMac

We’re in a downward time right now. Radical or advancement in technological updates are slow. This years poducts look a lot like lasts years product. It might be like this for another year.

10. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Not exactly winning debating points here, pal!

Why would you compare computer sales numbers/figures with (children's) entertainment figures? Why not relatable figures from other computer hardware or software figures.

What next - the GDP of a small nation or the price of an aircraft carrier?

Most people buying Mac PCs are stuck in the environment - and not happy. More expensive, less engineering effort (heat dissipation), stripped off their own unique features that were iconic and useful, and making the feel of the keyboard feedback useless, the unwanted changes list is long.

iOS and macOS - not in the same league.

Shouting does not emphasize a point in the way it comes across here.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Prices are supposed to come down, even adjusted for inflation, year on year, definitely over longer periods like a decade or two.

11. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

so people should be gratful a bad thing is doing well?

12. jasonefmonk, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

jasonefmonk macrumors regular

Well they certainly did come down if you look at the image. No MBP base model today costs $3,505 adjusted or even $2,799 like it did in 2006.

Only if nothing changes in the product, and efficiencies are made in production, should prices decline. It doesn’t cost less to provide workers with income and benefits than it did last year. The suppliers don’t provide less to their employees either. Does Apple spend fewer hours on design, engineering, software, and custom scilicon than years past?

13. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

i just love "serious cat"!

14. radus macrumors 6502

Remains the question, why is Lenovo successful and Apple not ?

15. YaBe macrumors 6502

YaBe

Because without a visionary like Jobs you cannot tell people what they want / need but you have to listen what people want / need.

Also Windows is not stuck in the 90s and it is today actually a nice OS, removing one of the major selling point of a Mac.

16. oranheim macrumors newbie

oranheim

Of course sales drops. Apple must start prioritising its desktop line again and provide more frequent updates to iMacs and iMac Pros. I've been waiting for buying a new one, the past year. Still waiting.. That simple.

17. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

Lenovo didn't drop so why give Apple a pass?

18. Grey Area macrumors regular

Those $543 savings on TCO that IBM published in 2016 were not per year, but over a four year lifespan. Also, it was not $543 per Mac, but between $273 and $543 depending on the model.

That is still quite a bit of money on average, but one should also keep in mind that:
    a) they were comparing fairly different types of hardware (e.g. the biggest saving was MBP13 vs Lenovo X1 Yoga - the latter being a 2-in-1, not exactly the same use case),
    b) they were extrapolating the Macs' maintenance costs based on one year of deployment and comparing this to the known maintenance costs of old Windows machines,
    c) the projected savings included the estimated resale value after four years, and that was with 2015-Macs; will the current glued-up and soldered Macs keep a similar resale value, especially once the keyboard replacement program is over?
    d) they included various additional software licensing costs that they had to pay for on the Windows machines only because they refused to use the built-in solutions. There may be good reasons for this, for IBM, but it seems a bit dubious to include that in a general Mac savings estimate - few people have the specific corporate software requirements of IBM.

Overall I find these estimates too vague, with too much potential for fudged numbers, to use them as a guidance for my own purchasing decisions.

19. Ruggy macrumors member

Nice to see someone read, and understood, the figures.

Macs are high-end, expensive products, so on the basis of turnover (receivables, whatever you like to call it) they were probably highest in the industry.

20. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

Plus IBM bought Red Hat Linux for $32 billion last year so we know where their "Unix" is going forward (hint: it's not the Mac)

21. zeesix, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

zeesix macrumors member

zeesix

I have a 2014 and 2015 MBP. I have no desire to downgrade to the recent versions. I don't want touchbar, don't want only USB-C, don't want worse keyboard, don't want oversized touchpad, don't want to give up magsafe. It's almost hilarious that they've gone backwards in so many areas. All they had to do is add TouchID and bump the hardware after 2015 and people would have been reasonably happy.

22. hick9 macrumors member

hick9

Apple not successful? Apple is not just a Computer company anymore. Comparing computer sales of the two companies really makes no sense. Lenovo's revenue for 2018 was 45.35 billion and Net income was 126 million. Apple's revenue for 2018 was 265.595 billion and Net income was 59.531 billion. I think Apples pretty successful.

23. ds2000 macrumors regular

ds2000

This! I have a late 2014 machine, the top spec at the time. I think it was $3200. I'd like the replace it with a new machine but I can't get the like for like without the stupid emoji bar. My Mums 2011 Mac Mini has just died with the classic bad balling issue, why I can't buy a new machine and swap the SSD into it is beyond me.

24. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

These stories should also always state that data is estimates that have never actually matched official quarterly reports.

25. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

Same. I’d like to upgrade my 2011 MacBook Pro. But I the price is crazy and I a new one won’t last me as long!

There’ll be no upgrading ram or ssd after a few years :(