Apple's Mac Sales Drop in Q4 2018 Amid Worldwide PC Shipment Decline

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. ksec macrumors 6502

I bought it, and sold it. Got a second hand 5 yr+ MBP instead, which is much better.

2. gugy macrumors 68030

gugy

Yeah, I tried to get the new MacMini for my son but at $799 base price with those specs, no way.
    I am waiting for the new Mac Pro and displays since my current one is 2011 model. I am just afraid the price will be so insane that it might have to pass too.
    The iMac Pro base is $5k. That's insane. My 2011, top of the line MP with 12 core was that price. Apple is really out of reality here. I hope these financial results will contribute to bring them back to Earth.

3. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

I'm holding out for the cpu's that aren't affected by Meltdown and Spectre.

Supposed to be late 2019 or early 2020.

4. Cryates, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I...didn’t say anyone did? I think you’re confusing your use case with what the average consumer does. Far more folks are browsing Facebook as their version of computing in 2019 vs those using high level programs like Photoshop that are best used on a tried and true computer.

Also, I’d almost certainly assure you that there are thousands of Apple employees, including those in management, who are using an iPad daily. Management ain’t doing photoshop bud, they’re creating metrics, powerpoints and spreadsheets. And sitting in meetings. Tasks that can be done on an iPad when more convenient.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    YUP. Too many folks inject their own needs as the all-encompassing use case, and the original point I was alluding to was completely missed.

5. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Maybe when you could upgrade the ram and HD.....

6. dazz87 macrumors 65816

Got to admit MS has some nice looking notebooks this yr. Family member got one and its pretty nice.

7. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I may look at one because Apple does not seem to care about the Mac lineup anymore

8. Soccertess macrumors 65816

exactly! I see Lenovo had no issues with growth... You make laptops that people want, they will buy!

9. mlody macrumors 6502a

My experience is the opposite. At work, I jumped on macbook bandwagon (2018 mbp15) when i had an opportunity to upgrade from my 5 years old lenovo, but after 2-3 weeks i begged the IT folks to take it back and give me lenovo x1 extreme instead.
    The crazy thing is, my family and i use macs at home for the past 4-5 years, but for my work workloads, the mac simply failed. The simple Office 365 integration is such a joke, that it made me feel like as if i was working with pen and paper. The Outlook, OneNote, Skype for Business for mac are soo water down compared to Windows counterparts, that it is disgrace for Microsoft to even call them the same names. Navigating complex SMB shares is another disaster on a mac. The only way for me to be efficient at work with mac, would be to run Windows 10 VM which was pointless as my mac was already burning hot when running handfull apps, so I couldn’t imagine how hot that thing would get when putting more workloads. I am very happy and impressed with my x1 extreme, more than i was with my mbp 15 to be honest. The only two things better my mbp had going on were speakers and trackpad compared to x1 extreme.

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Feels apple have stopped caring about this side of the business.

11. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Finally replaced an 11 year old MP (with a Mac Mini... so emasculating) ...... but if you want to sell computers - release new models... MBA 101

12. winstars macrumors regular

Whats a Mac??? Said too many people...

13. fairuz, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Macs are personal computers and fulfill mostly the same purposes as Windows machines.
    I'd love to buy a new MBP. Only thing is the new ones are just worse than my old one, especially the keyboard.
    Well your entire workflow is Microsoft software (which isn't so great), so ofc Windows is going to be better for that.
    Nobody needs new PCs because the new ones don't really do anything better than the old ones did. 5% faster CPU?

14. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

"Stale product line" when the MacBook Pro (with Touchbar), MacBook Air and Mac Mini all recently received substantial updates. :D

Both Intel and AMD really have nothing to make the iMac better - a 6/12 Coffee Lake i9 or K-Model i7 will throttle just like 4/8 Kaby Lake K-Model i7's or run the fans at max and a slightly up-clocked 580X or Vega 20 is not going to be a major performance jump. Frankly better to wait for Intel to actually ship 10nm and AMD ship 7nm where the lower temps will help the chips either not throttle or need the fans spinning at max speed.

And Intel doesn't have new W-Series Xeons shipping yet for the iMac Pro (or the upcoming Mac Pro, assuming it uses W-Series).

15. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Apple had $266,000,000,000 in sales in 2018.

$25B of that was Mac...that’s half the sales of the entire Walt Disney Company for 2018.

They sold over 18M new units of a product with an average life of around 5 years. So yeah, people want them.

16. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

They still suck.

17. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

Then why do Mac users like to point out you CAN run Windows via Boot Camp?

You can run what the competition is running (Windows) but still be in fourth place next to Lenovo who are growing.
    I don't know where you get excited about (hmmm your email signature?) but look at this:

https://www.statista.com/chart/8817/mac-sales-as-a-percentage-of-apples-revenue/

Do you see the 80% drop?

18. BeforeTheMeds macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

Did you actually read it? Apple losing market share disproves your statement.

Apple's shipments fell five percent year-over-year, and its total market share for 2018 dropped from 7.2 percent to 6.9 percent.

19. Jakewilk macrumors member

“Captain Thin” haha very true though

20. EugeR macrumors newbie

EugeR

I agree. I've been sitting here for almost 6 months with $2800AUD wanting to buy a new macbook or IMAC but the pricing vs value has really made stop and think. The value doesn't seem to be there for me at the moment and has held me back. Eg in macbook, i feel like I'm paying extra for touch bar but dont want to use it. The new keyboard feels like the time they removed the home button on IPHONE 7, it was hard to get used to the synthetic feel without the actual motion and still gets me at times, messing with my brain as I'm typing.

I'd still like to buy apple. Perhaps there's a lot more people like myself who are just holding back and if there was something great about the new stuff, we'd just fork out the $! :)

21. HPDoor macrumors newbie

I think the reason you see more Mac's than Window PC's around is that the average life span of a MAC is much longer than a PC.
    Are there any data on average lifespan ? I have donate my 15 inch mid 2009 MBP to my granddaughter and she is happily using it.

22. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

That doesn't make sense. Why would Apple offer a computer based on non-cutting edge technology last longer than a vendor offering cutting edge technology?

Oh it's because the person bought Apple's non-cutting edge technology and has to justify it to themselves...

23. jinnyman macrumors regular

All my photo editing and video encoding is done on PC.
    My i9-9900k rocks everyother mac!

MBP 15 for my personnel on the go laptop
    MBP 13 is my work laptop owned by my company.
    and Mac Mini functions as my always-on personnel server.

But the brute forces comes from my PC. Nothing from Apple can match what I can do with PC at this price level. And I can't wait for Zen2 with 16/32 Core/Thread!!

The lesson Apple's teaching me : always keep Platform Independence

24. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

I guess you don’t understand how insane a $25B MAC business is despite a move to iPad and mobile computing. Look at the iPhone and iPad charts...you are missing the bigger story.

People are buying mobile devices A LOT more than Macs (so Apple still wins) AND YET the MAC is still half the size of the entire Disney company.

25. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

You're asking the wrong question because Windows market share significantly exceeds MacOS.

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share