Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaydenA

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
Despite that I doubt many kids use messages... It's good that they removed the parent notification in the initial version. That had the chance to do so much damage, especially for LGBT kids with abusive/religious parents.

Even so, I wonder how many false negatives will happen with harmless beach photos from their best friend. Those kids getting their first blurred warning, which turns out to be a shirtless boy (nipples are the work of the devil after all!) then roll their eyes and ignore the blur warning from then on.

All-in-all, when those points are considered it seems like this is little more than theatre. Give parents a warm and fuzzy feeling, while really not achieving much.

KurtMann

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2021
It's an ok feature. It's very hard to implement anything effective that doesn't risk going all Terminator 1984. Maybe it should be time limited, like a purge: One day a year we hunt pedophiles by burning everybody. You see them on the street. You watch them on TV. You might even vote for one this fall. You think they're people like you. You're wrong. Dead wrong.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I like this feature being implemented the way it is now. An optional feature to help let parents keep their kids safe while messaging people (friends or not!) is always a good thing when done in a privacy centric way like this.

Still, apparently even with big bold letters and clear wording in the article, many people in this thread have no idea what they are talking about regarding the article they are replying to. ?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
This kind of stuff makes me sad. Instead of building better devices they are coming up with more ways to invade privacy in the name of keeping people safe. Their software is buggy it's going to cause more harm than good.
maybe you should read the article and what it is about - comments like yours are simply mind boggling

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
This kind of stuff makes me sad. Instead of building better devices they are coming up with more ways to invade privacy in the name of keeping people safe. Their software is buggy it's going to cause more harm than good.
As much as I dislike Apple's buggy QA lately, this feature is purely OPT-IN. If you don't like it, you can simply ignore it and nothing is changed.

Reactions: VulchR

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The FaceID hack you've listed isn't realistic in the real world and it actually says that in the article.
Security researchers :) There are a LOT of things that are possible, but what REALLY counts is the ease of the exploit. No one is going to go through what’s described in the article when, in a LOT of cases, all you really need to do is send them an email from “Apple Support” asking for the password to their phone to confirm their identity. Or any one of many, many other easier exploits.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Apples next step towards client side scanning. First, parents want it to protect their children. Next China wants it to educate its people. After that, every government in the whole world wants client side scanning to break privacy - just for fighting terroriscm and abuse, of course.

Did you know in some states free speech is considered to be terrorism?

• Haha
Reactions: VulchR and NC12

FindingAvalon

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2021
*looks at the sad state of healthcare and rent/dying housing market in the US* ...yes people should be jealous of living the US... lol...
I can guarantee for most it’s better than where you come from, that’s for sure.

FindingAvalon

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2021
Apples next step towards client side scanning. First, parents want it to protect their children. Next China wants it to educate its people. After that, every government in the whole world wants client side scanning to break privacy - just for fighting terroriscm and abuse, of course.

Did you know in some states free speech is considered to be terrorism?
Nice demonstration of your complete lack of comprehension of what this is and how it works.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
The children are not under Apples control, they are under their PARENTS control, rightfully so.. read the article!
If they aren't using an app that gives them the control to restrict then they're still not really under parents control are they?
My kids and most kids I know for that matter don't use messages.
They use WhatsApp, Snapchat, Tiki's Tok and lots of others things that don't have this capability.

I can't remember the last time that any of my kids were on messages.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
I can guarantee for most it’s better than where you come from, that’s for sure.
umm... not really... I live in the "richest" part of my country which... in most ways is better than most of the US, sorry. It's basically California 2 without the high taxes, bad infrastructure (lol, you have to DRIVE everywhere in the US, it's sad...), and horrible housing crisis.

At least my country has less homeless people than the US, as do most countries... (think about that for a second...)

• Disagree
Reactions: FindingAvalon

herr__alex

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
Using iCloud Private Relay is like hiding a CD-ROM of naked selfies in your Grandmother’s linen closet, hoping Nanna doesn’t change the bed sheets any time soon.
What the hell are you talking about? Like every post from u is about another topic and has absolutely nothing to do with the article

Reactions: chucker23n1

Morichan

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2019
"Naked photos and videos show the private body parts that are usually covered by underwear."

Thanks for the fun fact. I didn’t know that was possible.

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
The parents are more often than not, the offenders.
The offenders of sending their own children nudes, that they now how to click a few times to see? I fail to see how that’s a problematic scenario.

Does it also apply for other messaging apps though? ?
Almost certainly not.

Moving forward, Kids won't use Messages, they'll migrate to WhatsApp OR whatever, to get out from under Apple's control.
I doubt hordes of young kids will switch out of iMessage because it’s slightly more annoying to receive a nude picture.

Instead of building better devices they are coming up with more ways to invade privacy in the name of keeping people safe.
I think you need to read the article again.

All Macs sold since 2018 contain the T2 chip
Not since M1. Not that it has anything to do with this topic.

Making it more forbidden will only make the kiddies want to see it more.
Wanting to see it more than now where they directly see it?

Reactions: mw360
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.