Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
The offenders of sending their own children nudes, that they now how to click a few times to see? I fail to see how that’s a problematic scenario.
You clearly don’t understand how paedophiles work. That’s a good thing I suppose.

Reactions: NC12

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Moving forward, Kids won't use Messages, they'll migrate to WhatsApp OR whatever, to get out from under Apple's control.

With that group, Apple will have lost one of the key iOS features that makes iOS "sticky," Messages !
NOT saying they will migrate away from Apple products, but Apple will have lost some control over them.
Some Analysts think Messages is the #1 reason Apple has a sticky eco-system.
In Japan the vast majority of people under 18 use an iPhone, but they don't use iMessage. They use Line. It hasn't stopped them from buying an iPhone or wanting one. I don't think it matters to younger people because they are brand conscious.

And I doubt they'll use another app to get out from Apple's control. They'll use another app because that's what is trendy for them or what all their friends use. Kids don't think about tech controlling them. It's not a thought that enters their heads.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Most of this CSAM tech is from AIM, MySpace, Facebook, etc.

Sounds plausible (well, AIM hasn't been a thing in years, but sure), but what does that have to do with anything? You were arguing that you can't keep private photos on your iPhone, or something.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I think it's great that Apple took our concerns seriously and released a feature in a way that its both useful while not invading the child's privacy and leaving them in control. Kudos to Apple!

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
You clearly don’t understand how paedophiles work. That’s a good thing I suppose.
I think you need to explain it, then. How will this particular feature do harm to children who are sexually abused by their parents (say)? How exactly will a feature that merely makes it slightly more difficult for a child to see an image do that?

arobert3434

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Oh boy. It gets worse and worse. It starts with "Protect the children!" but within a decade, our personal devices will be monitoring our every move and there will be no alternatives except for fringe linux phones and such.

• Disagree
Reactions: jib2

FindingAvalon

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2021
umm... not really... I live in the "richest" part of my country which... in most ways is better than most of the US, sorry. It's basically California 2 without the high taxes, bad infrastructure (lol, you have to DRIVE everywhere in the US, it's sad...), and horrible housing crisis.

At least my country has less homeless people than the US, as do most countries... (think about that for a second...)

What you know about the U.S. wouldn’t fill a thimble. That’s what’s really sad. It’s funny that you mention California, a single state that has the 5th largest economy on earth. Beats yours hands down.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I think Apple's proposal for CSAM scanning was monumentally stupid. This feature, in contrast, seems reasonable enough. I do worry about how it could be adapted to detecting other things like flags, anti-government memes, faces of minority groups, etc. but maybe this will tell us how accurate this kind of local scanning can be. I can't wait to see the galleries of false positives that people will inevitably post.

I think we have to think about where this kind of technology (local AI on mobile devices) is going. I believe we will be the last generation able to keep AI from spiralling out of control and we need to think about what constraints to put on it.

Last edited:

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
They could make a separate iPhone for kids with an alt operating system full of spyware like this and leave the regular phones for adults with no picture spyware or device scanning. Call it iKids and make it so they can only contact the people that birthed them and approved sources.

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
They could make a separate iPhone for kids with an alt operating system full of spyware like this
They essentially did, since this is only active for child accounts added to a family account. Hence, a phone for kids.

Also it’s not spyware as no information leaves the device.

• Disagree
Reactions: NC12 and miq

Runequester

macrumors regular
May 24, 2021
Oh boy. It gets worse and worse. It starts with "Protect the children!" but within a decade, our personal devices will be monitoring our every move and there will be no alternatives except for fringe linux phones and such.
Your wireless carrier already knows exactly where you are at any given moment, and will give this information to your government at a moments notice. Any website you visit will happily turn over this information as well, when requested to by law. And your VPN is probably lying to you.

What OS you run on your phone matters absolutely nothing in this regard.

Reactions: calys

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Nice demonstration of your complete lack of comprehension of what this is and how it works.
So well, explain it to me ..-

I always thought that the framework scans for nudity and informs a third party. So you do say that this is not correct?

This framework is the foundation. At the moment it may only contact a family member. But a third party is a third party. The framework could be extended very easily to contact the authorities as well - it is just a tiny step away.

I guess you just don‘t know what software is and how it works.

• Haha
Reactions: januarydrive7

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Making it more forbidden will only make the kiddies want to see it more. It’s as if apl has zero experience with kids. Completely out of touch.
Yeah. I mean children have absolutely no idea about other apps, or lets say airdrop.
So this client side scanning is only one of the first steps, other apps need to include it as well. Hey, even Safari needs to implement it, to stop children from sharing links.

januarydrive7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
So well, explain it to me ..-

I always thought that the framework scans for nudity and informs a third party. So you do say that this is not correct?
It seems this scans for nudity to tells the recipient that it might contain nudity. No informing takes place.

This framework is the foundation. At the moment it may only contact a family member. But a third party is a third party. The framework could be extended very easily to contact the authorities as well - it is just a tiny step away.

I guess you just don‘t know what software is and how it works.
This isn't doing anything that existing infrastructure in iOS has already been capable of doing for over a decade. I guess you just don't know what software is and how it works.

t0pher

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
UK
They could make a separate iPhone for kids with an alt operating system full of spyware like this and leave the regular phones for adults with no picture spyware or device scanning. Call it iKids and make it so they can only contact the people that birthed them and approved sources.
I'd defiantly buy that for children, locked down to just key people etc & full parental control.

It's dangerous trying to turn an iPad off when a child has it, far safer to do it remotely from a web page or another idevice. We currently have to resort to turning the BB off which is no goo when trying to work or stream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.