Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new Magic Keyboard is backwards compatible with both of Apple's 2018 iPad Pro models, the iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) and the iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation), Apple has confirmed.

Apple_new-ipad-pro-keyboard_03182020_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg

Announced today along with new iPad Pro models, the Magic Keyboard attaches magnetically to iPad Pro and includes a floating design that works on either a lap or a desk, and an integrated trackpad for controlling an onscreen pointer, which Apple says will allow users to enhance their workflows in multiple ways.

The Magic Keyboard features cantilevered hinges for smooth adjustments of the viewing angle up to 130 degrees, including a full-size keyboard with backlit keys and a scissor mechanism that delivers 1mm travel. It also has USB-C pass-through charging.

The Magic Keyboard won't launch until sometime in May, but next week Apple is releasing ?iPadOS? 13.4, which introduces trackpad support for all iPads, so 2018 iPad Pro owners will need to update their devices to ensure compatibility with the Magic Keyboard when it does arrive.

The Magic Keyboard will cost $299 for the 11-inch ?iPad Pro? and $349 for the 12.9-inch ?iPad Pro?, and will include layouts for over 30 languages.

Article Link: Apple's New Magic Keyboard With Integrated Trackpad Compatible With 2018 iPad Pro Models

Reactions: 128KMac

abrantes09

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2019
The more i look at it, the more I love it. Too bad it's not coming sooner, would love to get my hands on this.

Also, if I use it on the 2018 iPad Pro, wouldn't there be a massive cutout in the back for the camera? Wonder if they'll possibly make a separate version for the 2018 iPad Pro. Good to see they improved the keyboard nonetheless, the old ones sucked.

Comment

abrantes09

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2019
$350 for a keyboard? Seriously? Apple invents the keyboard I guess.

I mean if you look at it, its essentially a super-slim MacBook Pro keyboard. Kinda worth it for the money imo. Laptop-class keys on an iPad keyboard with a trackpad, and not a crappy one knowing Apple. The features it packs too with the "floating" ability. It seems worth it.

Comment

Roscorito

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
Gonna wait for miniLED, but man I want that keyboard. Bring on Final Cut Pro.

Last edited:
Comment

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Not compatible with 2017? Rough! My 12.9" pro from 2017 can't handle a mouse? Why?

Edit: I meant software wise, not necessarily the physical keyboard, just the new cursor and what not. But I guess that's not ruled out?

Last edited:
Reactions: dittman
Comment

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Oct 1, 2007
What kind of keyboard is it? The old school scissor one, or the butterfly one that's being deprecated across the laptop line?

Reactions: uther
Comment

abrantes09

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2019
Not compatible with 2017? Rough! My 12.9" pro from 2017 can't handle a mouse? Why?

Its the way that it is built. The 2017 has "rounded" edges, has the smart connector on the side, and doesn't have magnets on the back. Its not a deliberate choice, its just the extreme design differences from the 2017 --> 2018 and now 2019 iPad Pros.

The 2017 does have mouse support as an accessibility feature if you really want it, but its not as refined as it would be with a trackpad on the new Magic Keyboard.

Reactions: Solomani
Comment

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
It would basically be impossible to make it compatible with the 2017, so that's no surprise at all. But yes, your 12.9" Pro from 2017 can indeed handle a mouse. I've already tried it with my 2017 10.5" model and it works.

Quite frankly I'm a little surprised it's even compatible with the 2018, since I had thought the magnet configuration would be somewhat different, due to the camera size, but they've made it work so that's good for the 2018 owners.

Comment

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I mean if you look at it, its essentially a super-slim MacBook Pro keyboard. Kinda worth it for the money imo. Laptop-class keys on an iPad keyboard with a trackpad, and not a crappy one knowing Apple. The features it packs too with the "floating" ability. It seems worth it.

The folio keyboard wasn't cheap either. The new one has a trackpad and allow the iPad to be reclined to find the perfect spot. It is more expensive, buy way better than the previous one.
And if you use it with the keyboard, you need a trackpad, you don't want to raise your hand every know and then to select something. It took them a few years, but finally they came up with a great setup. It is expensive though, if you only plan to use it with a keyboard you better buy a Macbook Air. This is a tablet, you do have the flexibility to use it as a laptop or a tablet and of course you have to buy the best product that suits your needs. I still prefer a laptop with macOS, but with the new keyboard the iPad Pro is becoming very interesting.

Comment

Ninjasrule

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
I love idea of the floating hinge. Just wondering how sturdy the magnetic connection will be. On the current keyboard, the magnetic connection can be pretty weak if it's just connected on the back and not on the side. Also can you adjust the angle of it floating? that would be a game changer. It would be so easy to use when I am lying on my back and using it.

Comment

martyjmclean

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2018
Sydney, NSW
The “British” keyboard is more international than the “International” keyboard. Why can’t they just call them “UK” and “US” like they do on the Mac? Ffs.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.