Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
My thought, too. I won't be able to just pick it up with one hand, like when I'm laying in bed? I guess you could anchor the MagSafe with foam tape, but then I worry about heat/fire. IDK.
Museum putty is always an option. I have some attaching my Qi charging pad to my night stand so it doesn’t move at all.

Reactions: ScottC7

IGWT15

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
Miami, Florida
Do you have to have a MagSafe case, in order to use the MagSafe charger puck? Can you just use the MagSafe charger on regular plastic cases which I now use on my Mophie wireless pad?

Reactions: TheDailyApple

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
My SUPER boring question: if you choose to go without a case on your shiny, more durable, iPhone 12/Pro, will the MagSafe charger scratch the glass back?

Nice question, might good way to test Apple boasted ceramic shield PR then. I think we can ballpark the hardness after JerryRigEverything destruction durability test on mohs scratch glass test.

Also, I am naked phone user too. Never using case but I carried them with some small velvet pouch though.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Sheer genius. This in hind sight appears obvious, but why havent we seen this beofre on other smartphones? Whomever came up with this at Apple deserves a bonus. A Starbucks gift card or something for adding god-knows-how-much money to the Apple ecosystem.

Remember the Powermat?

Reactions: rp2011

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I have a wireless Qi charger by my bedside. I have to place the phone just so in order for it to charge. MagSafe will help place it correctly which should be a benefit if you have ever woken up in the morning with a phone that was off just a bit and didn't charge.
Same thing happens with the Apple Watch. It's gotten nudged off the puck more than once and dead watch in the morning happens.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
I must say I don’t get it. I understand a wireless charger that forces the phone to be in the correct position, but the good thing about wireless charging is just setting your phone down, charging it, then lifting it off when you are done charging.

With this MagSafe charger, it looks small and like it’ll go with your phone wherever you take it. This defeats the whole “untethered” feeling that wireless charging is supposed to bring. How is this any better than plugging your phone into a wired charger, besides that it’s easier to start charging? But the downside is that the wireless is less efficient and worse for the battery.

I just don’t get it. It really seems like this is preparing people for a portless iPhone.

I have used Qi with my 11 Pro for 9 months, and maximum battery health is down to 88%.
My X lasted 2 years and ended at 93%
Thoughts?

Reactions: rjp1

Vldmr

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
What's the point of magsafe when you could just use non-magsafe chargers, at least you can just lift the phone up and the charger doesn't get stuck to the back with it forcing you to remove it manually.
This does indeed look like a two hand operation as opposed to a charging mat - the convenience remains to be seen. Hopeful though.

Reactions: rp2011

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Not sure why people are bent out of shape about MagSafe. If you don’t buy it or any MagSafe accessories the addition of MagSafe to the iPhone 12 affects you in no way. You can still use non Apple wireless charging at slower rates
Agree, but if somebody hates MagSafe I'm sure they'd dislike the added weight. I know it's minimal, but it matters (I think MagSafe is great).

Reactions: arn

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
What I want to know is how convenient the actual magsafe charger is. I imagine it stays stuck to the phone as you pick it off the night stand, which sounds clunkier than how i want my wireless charger to work.
Museum putty is always an option. I have some attaching my Qi charging pad to my night stand so it doesn’t move at all.
I'll look into it. We will have to see how people end up anchoring the MagSafe charger, because that does seem to be a problem Apple didn't account for (notably).

Reactions: Yumbo

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
What is this?

8D449B0E-7ADF-4359-8F5A-1C19910CB6FF.jpeg

Reactions: rjp1

synergize

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Nice question, might good way to test Apple boasted ceramic shield PR then. I think we can ballpark the hardness after JerryRigEverything destruction durability test on mohs scratch glass test.

Also, I am naked phone user too. Never using case but I carried them with some small velvet pouch though.

The MagSafe charger will require a case so it does not scratch the iPhone...another $26.

lude156

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
When I checked nearby stores it seems like half of them have it in stock today and half tomorrow. I set a pickup for tomorrow AM for a few cases for the fam.
I don’t see it in mine. Where r u from? My store says unavailable

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I just don’t get it. It really seems like this is preparing people for a portless iPhone.

Lets be honest, that is 100% why this magnet thing exists. Apple will very likely remove all the ports next year and are trying to get people used to charging a different, and in my opinion more complicated, way.

By removing the lighting port the phones will be more or less completely locked down. I just hope they release something for all the cars out there with only wired CarPlay.

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.