Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Exactly, if its strong enough that it sticks to the phone when picked up, not worth it, it needs to release without coming up with the phone.

3rd party magsafe accessories will probably fix this.

what i would probably do is get some 3m velcro or some regular strips to attach the charger to the night stand. Something that would withstand the energy of me pulling the phone up until i can defeat the magnets. That would probably not be an ideal or in any way permanent solution because every time you pull up youre putting pressure on that bond between the 3m strip and the surface, but it might be more satisfactory than messing with some floppy magnetic disk each time. All depends on how strong the magnets are, which im assuming are pretty strong given the wallet accessory

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Im confused. do you need the case to use the magsafe charger or can it connect directly to the phone?

It can connect directly to the phone. The cases just contain additional magnets so that the force is still strong with the case on. Other non MagSafe thicker cases probably would have a weaker force and not align and hold the puck as well.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
In my opinion the best thing about Magsafe is the magnetic car mounts. No need to put an ugly plate on the back of your phone or case anymore.

Exactly, but I want a car mounted qi charger. Why in heavens name in Belkin releasing just a mount? It should have a charger built into it! I guess some people will still want the cable for CarPlay, but I bought a CPlay2Air accessory that works pretty dang well and now cars are coming with wireless CarPlay, so somebody make a MagSafe car charger dang-it!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Why do I need MagSafe? Still cannot get the answer.

Because they are saying that to get the full charging speed with this phone, you need this charger, and case unless the case you get is ultra thin and connects ok. A fast spped Qi charger slows down on it by default apparently. Yeah that sucks.. They want you only buying their stuff. I also don't like the idea of having to pry the phone from the magnet each time I pick it up from the charger, which is often. Maybe that isn't much different than lifting the watch, but seems like it might be.

I also wonder what the magsafe cases do when connected to regular wireless chargers? Do they work the same, worse, or add heat?

lukesturr

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Texas
Exactly, but I want a car mounted qi charger. Why in heavens name in Belkin releasing just a mount? It should have a charger built into it! I guess some people will still want the cable for CarPlay, but I bought a CPlay2Air accessory that works pretty dang well and now cars are coming with wireless CarPlay, so somebody make a MagSafe car charger dang-it!
I agree. As soon as one of these accessory companies make a charging mount they'll get my money.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
what i would probably do is get some 3m velcro or some regular strips to attach the charger to the night stand. Something that would withstand the energy of me pulling the phone up until i can defeat the magnets. That would probably not be an ideal or in any way permanent solution because every time you pull up youre putting pressure on that bond between the 3m strip and the surface, but it might be more satisfactory than messing with some floppy magnetic disk each time. All depends on how strong the magnets are, which im assuming are pretty strong given the wallet accessory
I'm sure some "sticky" thing will show up on Amazon within a month or two. ;);)

Reactions: matrix07

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
In terms of advantages over other wireless charging solutions, MagSafe is such that you can still use your phone while charging. The biggest problem with wireless charging is that as soon as you pick your phone up, it is no longer charging. also, as Apple states, if the phone isn’t properly seated on the charger, it can actually be less efficient.

of course MagSafe is just one way of charging, you can still charge using a power adapter with a 20watt adapter for $19
[automerge]1602956955[/automerge]

True, that remains to be seen. Though it doesn’t seem to add too much thickness tbh.
However to me since the cable seems very short can you really use the phone without unplugging or taking off the magnet - then it isn't still charging. The short cable means it needs to be close to the plug and thus the power source. To me, if you have to unplug or unstick - it doesn't seem much of advantage over plugging the cable into the phone. Be interested to read about actual experiences but doesn't seem that great to me

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
Reactions: SkippyThorson

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
You still can. You just need to buy a USB-C extension cable. I do this with a number of my devices. It's what I'll do with the HomePod mini as well, which has a fixed cable.

I know it's a small pain to buy an extension cable, but if you'd buy a longer cable anyway if the MagSafe charger had a detachable cable, you're gonna pay the same price for an extension cable.
Doesn’t help when what you want is a shorter cable.

Reactions: rjp1

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Not sure why people are bent out of shape about MagSafe. If you don’t buy it or any MagSafe accessories the addition of MagSafe to the iPhone 12 affects you in no way. You can still use non Apple wireless charging at slower rates

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
really why make a pad its less b/c you can't see it when its in the charger
$19.00 for something that is way better
Because, at least according to Apple, iPhone 12 wireless charging hits 15W with MagSafe, Qi limited to 7.5W. Even 15 is slow in today's world. If anyone knows a way around this I'd love to hear it. I mean other than the $150 Belkin one.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I also wonder what the magsafe cases do when connected to regular wireless chargers? Do they work the same, worse, or add heat?
[/QUOTE]
That's a good question!

Alon1

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
?

So how are the magnets gonna play with Credit Cards in the MagSafe pouches?
That’s a good point. I’m not sure if the MagSafe wallet has magnets inside or just a piece of metal so that it sticks to the back of the phone. I feel like the added magnets on the case are probably there so that the MagSafe charger or phone mount can still grab Your phone even with the added thickness of the case. Maybe with the wallet you have to give that up.

Alon1

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Does anyone know if you can use the MagSafe charger with a non-MagSafe case?
I’m guessing yes because it works like a regular Qi charger and those work with regular cases. But it might not have enough power to stick to your phone through the case and the “fast” charging will probably be disabled for lack of a perfect alignment

Reactions: tshane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.