Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced a new MagSafe charging puck that's designed for the iPhone, with a design that's similar to the inductive chargers used for the Apple Watch.

applemagsafecharger.jpg

The new MagSafe charging pucks are able to charge the new iPhone 12 models faster than Qi-based charging options, offering up to 15W of power. Apple mentioned the 15W charging on stage during the event, and it's also confirmed on product pages for the new devices.

Qi-based wireless chargers continue to be limited to a maximum of 7.5W of charging power when used with an Apple device, so those who are looking for the fastest "wireless" charging option will want to opt for one of the new MagSafe chargers from Apple.

Apple has designed an Apple Watch-style MagSafe charging puck for iPhones, along with a dual charger that also includes an Apple Watch charger. MagSafe charging specifications are also being made available to third-party companies who will be able to design magnetic chargers for Apple's new iPhone lineup.

The product page for the new charger suggests that it is compatible with all iPhones dating back to the iPhone 8, which is all models that support wireless charging, but the description suggests faster wireless charging is limited to the new models.

Apple's MagSafe charger for iPhone will be available for $39, with pricing on the combo Apple Watch version unknown as of now.

Article Link: Apple's New MagSafe Charger Offers 15W Charging, Qi Still Limited to 7.5W

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
I don't get it. MagSafe supports AirPods but doesn't support Watch and it isn't compatible with Qi?

What's so special about AirPods that the Watch doesn't have support for or Qi chargers don't have support for? Or does MagSafe support Qi but isn't listed as Qi compatible?

EDIT:

Nevermind. MagSafe is compatible with Qi
MagSafe chargers efficiently provide up to 15W of power, while still accommodating existing Qi-enabled devices.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020...-iphone-12-mini-a-new-era-for-iphone-with-5g/

Comment

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Interesting that its a different charging standard from Qi, but still is compatible with Qi (nice touch there Apple) - guessing we're seeing the remnants of AirPower here. Should be a nice charging option to have.

I can't wait to confuse this with my watch charger while packing.

Probably a significant difference in size will help you. The Diameter of this charging puck goes almost across the back of an iPhone.

Comment

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
I still can't find what is useful on this charger... do you place it on your desk and then you place an iPhone on it? Is it heavy enough to stay on the desk if you move your iPhone close to it or are the magnets stronger, so the charger will hit the back of the iPhone?

Weird product...

Comment

heimdallr

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2017
I just bought a new pair of Airpod Pros. Is this MagSafe charger "backwards-compatible" with Qi? Or will I need two separate wireless charging stations for the Airpods and new iPhone
:rolleyes:

Comment

scotth23

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
Interesting that its a different charging standard - guessing we're seeing the remnants of AirPower here. Should be a nice charging option to have.

Probably a signifigant difference in size will help you.

Is it that much bigger? I haven't seen any pics to scale except that one case with it stuck on the back.

Comment

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Off all the announcements, I was most excited for 15w charging speeds. While it seems small, it's a major boost since I always use wireless charging except when I need to fast charge, and always a hassle manually charging in those times. But looks like will be in the same boat since most places I use it such as in the car where it has wireless charging of course all have Qi, with presumably no chance then of faster charging in the car even though the car supports up to 10w.

Reactions: midkay
Comment

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I’m pretty sure 3rd party MagSafe will be allowed. They showed a Belkin prototype on one slide.
Doesn't help for cars that have wireless charging with max speeds higher than 7.5w, but that won't ever be able to take advantage of the higher speeds since car makers aren't going to offer a retrofit for a magsafe version in existing cars.

Comment

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I’m honestly surprised this isn’t $99. I was fully expecting it to be in that price range. Hopefully the duo version isn’t too much more since that’s the one I’m most interested in.

Would this charger work with third party cases that don’t have magnets?

Comment

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I still can't find what is useful on this charger... do you place it on your desk and then you place an iPhone on it? Is it heavy enough to stay on the desk if you move your iPhone close to it or are the magnets stronger, so the charger will hit the back of the iPhone?

Weird product...
If most people are like my wife, they put their phone on a charger and hold them together to charge in bed. I mean, I would never have done that but with this product you can without an issue really. However, the main point of it is to enable 15W fast charging because it's aligned perfectly every time.

Comment

mattan_lines

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
Anybody see the weird Apple Pencil-like pad below the power button on all 4 models? Wonder what that could be used for as they didn't even mention it in the event. Could it be another one of those "extra tech" features like they did with the AirPods Pro where they introduce new hardware features later on?

Comment

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Anybody see the weird Apple Pencil-like pad below the power button on all 4 models? Wonder what that could be used for as they didn't even mention it in the event. Could it be another one of those "extra tech" features like they did with the AirPods Pro where they introduce new hardware features later on?
It's part of the antenna design.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.