Apple's Online Store Now Offering New 5K 27-Inch LG UltraFine Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 30, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's online store in the United States is now carrying a new 5K 27-inch LG UltraFine Display, which joins the updated 4K 23.7-inch UltraFine display Apple began selling in May.

Available for $1,299.95, the new LG UltraFine 5K Display offers the same 5120 x 2880 resolution as the previous UltraFine 5K Display with 14.7 million pixels and P3 wide color gamut.

[​IMG]

The display connects to a Mac using a Thunderbolt 3 cable, and this version of the monitor can connect using USB-C, which means that it's also compatible with the iPad Pro. There are three downstream USB-C ports with speeds up to 5Gb/s, and when used with a Mac notebook, charging over TB3 is supported with up to 94W of power available.
    There are built-in stereo speakers, an included camera, and a microphone, along with an adjustable stand.

Apple stopped selling the original LG 5K UltraFine display earlier this year, and as of May, it was listed as "Sold Out" and was unavailable for pickup in Apple retail stores.

After Apple introduced a new version of the 4K LG UltraFine model, there was speculation that this new 5K model would also soon show up in the store, which has indeed happened.

The original 4K and 5K UltraFine Displays were designed by LG in partnership with Apple and were created to be used with the 2016 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models, which supported Thunderbolt 3 for the first time.

Apple is developing its own Pro Display XDR with a 6K resolution for release later this year, but its premium $5,000 price tag makes it too pricey for use by the general population, which means Apple is likely to continue to offer the LG displays for some time.

The new LG 5K UltraFine display can be purchased from the online Apple Store as of today, and it should soon be in retail stores.

Article Link: Apple's Online Store Now Offering New 5K 27-Inch LG UltraFine Display

2. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

Does it come with a stand?

Edit: It does! Wow what a revolutionary and bold move by LG!

3. GeoStructural macrumors regular

GeoStructural

I don’t know how good the display quality is but these LG screens do not look very aesthetically pleasant. I recently bought a HP monitor and it is just so pretty, glossy and beautiful to look at, I don’t feel the same about these ones.

4. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Fixed that for ya, they already showed them.

I know it must be one of the best displays ever, but that price tag...ugh, wish they just re-release the old Cinema Displays with updated hardware, this is just overdone imo.

5. Freida macrumors 68000

How is this better than the previous version?
    Also, why is the top bezel thicker than the bottom? Bloody hell

6. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Their OLED Tv's are much better design wise.

But nothing beats the all aluminium older Apple Cinema Displays, they were timeless.

Erm...camera maybe.

7. Nik, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019

Nik macrumors 6502a

Why on earth didn’t they get rid of the ridiculous top bezel?

"up to 94W of host charging power"

For the new 16 inch MacBook Pro. We have seen this with the new XDR Display too.

Therefore we can conclude that the new 16 inch MBP requires more power which also results in higher performance components.

8. otternonsense, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019

otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

The ugliest duckling of third party screens, consistently on the webshop of the company that once defined personal computing aesthetics and brand style. Yuck

9. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

How much for the stand? I’m just after a stand!

10. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

Because of the camera bezel, the monitor looks like it's upside down.

No G-Sync or FreeSync? No sale.

Because camera.

11. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Have to agree here, $999 for a stand is beyond stupidity, I hope they tank hard.
    I do understand it has to cost something, must be made with "expensive" materials like aluminium...;), I think the problem is they over engineered it, might have cost millions to design and develop, and then there's Joni's wage...;)

12. Dixie Normous macrumors newbie

Note that along with 6K Apple display, this one also provides 94W of power, while previous generation provided 87W.

There are no MacBooks in lineup right now that consume 94W, top of the line 15" MacBook consumes just 87W.

Something more power-hungry is coming soon apparently!

13. bobtem macrumors member

bobtem

Stylistically this looks one of those generic black box monitors sitting crooked on the wall at a shetty sports bar with cables flying all over the place. How hard is it to give it some pleasantries?

14. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

Good eye there.

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Is Apple incapable of making a nice looking, decent quality display for $1500-$2000? I don’t get it. Almost no one is going to buy those $6,000 displays (with stand), it’s simply a non-starter for the vast majority of people, including non-institutional Mac Pro buyers.

16. drinkingtea macrumors 6502

drinkingtea

17. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

Wow, that is one ugly monitor, I think I would rather spend $999 for the stand

18. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Wait for the one from Apple! It's only $1,000. :confused: o_O :rolleyes:

19. sprihoda macrumors newbie

Maybe Apple hasn’t updated the page completely yet, but the picture of the new 5K display and tech specs show only one TB3 port. The new 4K display has 2 TB3 ports. No daisy chaining for the 5K or am I missing something?

20. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

All I can think of is...

[​IMG]

It seems like one often has to choose between a 'chin' or a 'forehead'.

21. Nik macrumors 6502a

That is a lame excuse. They can even integrate cameras in smaller bezels on MacBooks.

22. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

In the famous words of Steve Jobs:

“These things are uuuuugly!”

23. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

You won't get much (work) done starring at just a stand.:p

24. the future macrumors 65816

Aaaaand there goes the hope that Apple will release a cheaper 5K standalone display „for the rest of us“ right out the window ... That‘s it, folks. You‘re either a (super) pro and can afford a 6K display or you‘ll have to learn to like the „design finesse“ of LG.

25. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Good, but I still kinda wish Apple made their own smaller monitors. Kinda sucks that you have to go third party to get a monitor for the Mac Mini, for example.