Apple's Over-Ear Headphones May Be Called 'AirPods Studio' and Cost $349

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's rumored high-end over-ear headphones may be called "AirPods Studio" and retail for $349, according to Jon Prosser of YouTube channel Front Page Tech.

Artist rendition

In keeping with the successful AirPods brand, the rumored "Studio" over-ear headphones would significantly diversify Apple's AirPods lineup, which last added the in-ear AirPods Pro in October 2019. The supposed price of $349 would place "AirPods Studio" as a direct competitor to high-end noise-canceling over-ear headphones from Bose and Sony.

Prosser has previously accurately leaked the April 15 launch date of the new iPhone SE and, most recently, the May 4 launch date of the refreshed 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects Apple's over-hear headphones to enter mass production in mid-2020, which may suggest a fall 2020 launch.

Article Link: Apple's Over-Ear Headphones May Be Called 'AirPods Studio' and Cost $349

Last edited:

Nick A

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
Looking to be a Bose 700 / Sony WH-1000XM3 competitor. Assuming it's going to have the Apple touch of beauty and simplicity. Which is good, there's a strong market here for commuters and frequent travelers. Hoping the sound quality is a step-up from the AirPods Pro.

Also like I stated in the previous post, with Apple's audio engineers and their recent fantastic work (HomePod, 16" Pro speakers) I'd like to see them take a shot at real high-end headphones, but that probably won't happen.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Seriously thinking about these myself. I realize that there are better options from a sound quality perspective. But the ability to charge with a lightening cable coupled with the ability to easily pair with Apple devices are big pluses for me.

No fan of over-ear headphones (they never stay on and hard to nap on the train) but it’s good to have options
I'm curious to hear what you prefer for your own lifestyle. Nothing wrong if you want something different. And as you say it is good to have options.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
I’m planning on getting these!

The noise cancellation will probably work a lot better than the AirPods Pro - definitely useful for me because I take the subway a lot
If Apple really can make the noise cancelling "a lot better" compared to the (already impressive, especially for in-ears) AirPods Pro – hell, I'm a day ońe buyer for sure!

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
I’ll get them if my Bose QC35’s ever break. ANC on the AirPods Pro is dismally bad these days.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
These would definitely be something I’d consider buying. I love my PowerBeats Pros (I’d rather have AirPods, but they don’t fit my ears and the AirPods Pros came out after I bought the PowerBeats) and if I could get that same functionality plus a quality sound from a pair of Apple branded headphones, I’d buy it.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Nice specs on these headphones, but it seems like there is a competition and/or overlap between Apple and their company Beats.
If the consumer comes down to a choice between Beats or Apple... Apple wins no matter which they choose.

In a more broad branding/marketing sense, there's nothing wrong with a single company operating two or more brands (example: any of the major auto makers). Each brand will appeal to different consumers, each can offer a different price and feature set. While there is inevitably overlap, there is also "extension" and upsell/downsell (the customer may have a Chevrolet budget in poorer years, a Buick budget in better years).

It seems clear that Apple is happy maintaining a separate identity for Beats. There are undoubtedly people who wouldn't want to be caught dead wearing Apple who are just fine with Beats. Beats are available through far more retailers than Apple. Even warranty and repair policies/practices can be different (which results in different costs). Beats and Apple each have distinct reputations and brand images... So long as the net result is that Apple sells far more product by operating two brands, Apple comes out ahead.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
My question is how they differentiate these from Beats?

There's a sort of guilt by association for those who hate Beats, that can be based on design if that is accurate.

Is there going to be completely different sound signature that doesn't overemphasize bass, that can appeal to the supposed mature high end consumer?

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
Let me guess- headphoneOS, Firmware updates, not compatible with iOS 11 or lower.

I can see buying air pod Bluetooth ear buds, but there's almost zero reason to buy Apple over-the-ear headphones. Probably best not to just on principle

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2016
My question is how they differentiate these from Beats?

There's a sort of guilt by association for those who hate Beats, that can be based on design if that is accurate.

Is there going to be completely different sound signature that doesn't overemphasize bass, that can appeal to the supposed mature high end consumer?
well actually, there are rumors saying that once the AirPod lineup is diverse enough, it will just completely replace the beats lineup.
We have at the moment the regular AirPods, and the AirPods Pro, and we have rumored cheaper AirPods, sporty AirPods, and these AirPods studios. so eventually, AirPods will completely replace beats.

Reactions: ouimetnick

brinary001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Honestly not a terrible price if they pack in a lot of bang for your buck. If they can properly compete with the already existing big names in headphones with products at similar price points like Bose, Sony, Bowers & Wilken, Senheisser, etc then I’ll definitely be getting them since they’d be a part of my ecosystem.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
well actually, there are rumors saying that once the AirPod lineup is diverse enough, it will just completely replace the beats lineup.
We have at the moment the regular AirPods, and the AirPods Pro, and we have rumored cheaper AirPods, sporty AirPods, and these AirPods studios. so eventually, AirPods will completely replace beats.
I have my doubts about that, since the appeal of Beats isn't just in it's sound but as a status symbol of sorts like Apple products. I personally imagine they would try for an appeal to the more mature/wealthier consumer with Apple brand, while keeping the younger heavily sought after consumer with Beats.

I could see it possible that if Apple completely abandons the Beats line/name, those consumers 'loyal' to the Beats brand moving to a likes of Skullcandy or JBL.

MoJoRo

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
I have the Beats Studio3 that I picked up recently on sale, I mostly like them but feel like the ear cups are a little small for my comfort. Would be interested in upgrading to these if the cups are bigger, but if it's just a minor bump in audio quality/noise cancelling then I'll probably stick with what I've got.

Definitely looks like they are transitioning to Apple branded headphones and will phase out the Beats, with Beats Studio3 probably being replaced with AirPods Studio rather than being upgraded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.