Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Honestly rarely see people wear over the ear anymore. Been surprised at how many people have moved onto the Airpods Pro. I love mine and still keep my BOSE QC20s but only because I need something to plug into in flight entertainment systems.
Over the ear headphones remain very popular.

I have owned countless of earbuds across various price ranges. The Sony XM3 are my first Premium over the ear headphones and they are superbly comfortably and unlike in ear buds don’t need adjusting. You forget that you are wearing them. It’s as if you are in a bubble shielding you from ambient niche

Their missing feature is the lack of ability to stay connect to toe devices at the same time. I will replace them with either the successor or AirPod a studio pro if they come in black and have
playback and volume controls.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Over the ear headphones remain very popular.

I have owned countless of earbuds across various price ranges. The Sony XM3 are my first Premium over the ear headphones and they are superbly comfortably and unlike in ear buds don’t need adjusting. You forget that you are wearing them. It’s as if you are in a bubble shielding you from ambient niche

Their missing feature is the lack of ability to stay connect to toe devices at the same time. I will replace them with either the successor or AirPod a studio pro if they come in black and have
playback and volume controls.
Exactly my thinking!

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Doesn't it only do it once? Surely it's more of a competitor to being sherlocked?
It does but if you see the reviews and the way it takes a profile it’s like Face ID for your ear although focused on sound quality not security. It’s up their alley of customization. AirPods Pro do this dynamically but my prediction to make it a killer must have is they will make them as tuned up as the nuraphone. Like what has every audio lover put down their sennheiser and grab this? What makes it killer killer killer? Deep customization. I believe nuraphone review videos where people says it sounds THAT good. Without going insane pro with hardware sensitivity like a pair of crazy Grados they can do this all in software just like they do with the iPhone camera. That’s basically it. It’s apples famous digital photography black magic adapted for the ear. This is my prediction.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
It does but if you see the reviews and the way it takes a profile it’s like Face ID for your ear although focused on sound quality not security. It’s up their alley of customization. AirPods Pro do this dynamically but my prediction to make it a killer must have is they will make them as tuned up as the nuraphone.

TIL that AirPods Pro also do this

I used to own the nuraphones, but the noise cancellation wasn't as good as my XM3.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008

I used to own the nuraphones, but the noise cancellation wasn't as good as my XM3.

What, what – The AirPods Pro have (automatic) sound "learning" for the individual listeners ears, or do I understand something wrong here? If first: I'm sure they don't have such a feature (which would have been VERY promoted by Apple, too). But again, maybe I'm lost here what you two meant.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
What, what – The AirPods Pro have (automatic) sound "learning" for the individual listeners ears, or do I understand something wrong here? If first: I'm sure they don't have such a feature (which would have been VERY promoted by Apple, too). But again, maybe I'm lost here what you two meant.

Wait what? They don’t have it? I thought they did, hence the sherlocking comment... if they don’t, then oh.....

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
I'm 99,9% sure the AirPods don't have any kind of personal sound optimisation for the individual ear. Maybe you confused it with the "dumb" fitting test which simply is for testing if you put them correctly sealed in your ears.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I'm 99,9% sure the AirPods don't have any kind of personal sound optimisation for the individual ear. Maybe you confused it with the "dumb" fitting test which simply is for testing if you put them correctly sealed in your ears.

I'm also sure of the same...

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016

What did you think about the quality on the Nura? Did they live up to the hype?
[automerge]1589123351[/automerge]
I'm also sure of the same...
Nope they most certainly do.
lars666

"AirPods Pro deliver superior sound quality with Adaptive EQ, which automatically tunes the low- and mid-frequencies of the music to the shape of an individual’s ear — resulting in a rich, immersive listening experience. A custom high dynamic range amplifier produces pure, incredibly clear sound while also extending battery life, and powers a custom high-excursion, low-distortion speaker driver designed to optimize audio quality and remove background noise. The driver provides consistent, rich bass down to 20Hz and detailed mid- and high-frequency audio."

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London

lars666

"AirPods Pro deliver superior sound quality with Adaptive EQ, which automatically tunes the low- and mid-frequencies of the music to the shape of an individual’s ear — resulting in a rich, immersive listening experience. A custom high dynamic range amplifier produces pure, incredibly clear sound while also extending battery life, and powers a custom high-excursion, low-distortion speaker driver designed to optimize audio quality and remove background noise. The driver provides consistent, rich bass down to 20Hz and detailed mid- and high-frequency audio."

I found that the Nura did sound great, so yes, for me they lived up to the hype. It was just that the noice cancellation wasn't as good as my XM3s, so I returned them.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008

lars666

Wow, I really didn't know that – and also confused it with the other feature which plays frequencies to you and you have to press a button in the app when you hear them (after that, the headphone sound is personalised to the age / health of your ears). But again, didn't know about this frequency adjustment based on the shape of your ears – I was wrong, thanks for the info!

Reactions: RumorConsumer

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Wow, I really didn't know that – and also confused it with the other feature which plays frequencies to you and you have to press a button in the app when you hear them (after that, the headphone sound is personalised to the age / health of your ears). But again, didn't know about this frequency adjustment based on the shape of your ears – I was wrong, thanks for the info!
it is a shockingly under reported feature.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
ouch $395
my reliable studio Sennheiser cost less when i bought it a year ago
its gone up in price since
but its my old reliable - would buy it again item

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
You are wrong that's my final answer only time will tell. We can revisit this later.
Love how I make a point, then you make a point, then I make a counterpoint, and you just give up.
At the current time, there are headphones called beats studio that are $349. Apples rumored to be introducing AirPods studio, and guess what? Also $349. Coincidence? I think not.
The Apple music chief just moved over to the beats headphone division. Also coincidence? I think not.
There are sporty earbuds that beats has called the beats X.
guess what’s rumored for this fall?AirPods X.
Again, coincidence? No.
Like I said, at the moment, beets will be sticking around because there’s only two versions of AirPods. But once we get the cheaper AirPods, and the AirPods X, and the regular AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods studio, beats will no longer serve a purpose.
At the peak of the popularity of beets, they were making around $1.5 billion. They’re not as popular as they used to be. Current estimations put beats profit at around $300 million.
Meanwhile, the two models of AirPods made between 12 and $14 billion last year. So yeah, it’s obvious which one Apple cares more about.

Chips Stephens

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
I find the studio name disturbing myself.
For the record, latency would not let you track with them, and a closed back will not let you mix with them.
Pretty much not studio at all...
The other major issue, is in the studio with a paying client, wireless and batteries are a bad program.
I use wires, they never fail to pair, need a charge...that is exactly why in a studio I use wire, as do any studio worth it’s salt.
That said, and regardless of the name, I am sure they will sell a bunch, and many will think they are studio quality.
But don’t understand what that even means.
And apple helped cause all this confusion.
I can only hope apple puts out a better set of cans than beats.
a flatter response, and much less hyped low end.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Love how I make a point, then you make a point, then I make a counterpoint, and you just give up.
At the current time, there are headphones called beats studio that are $349. Apples rumored to be introducing AirPods studio, and guess what? Also $349. Coincidence? I think not.
The Apple music chief just moved over to the beats headphone division. Also coincidence? I think not.
There are sporty earbuds that beats has called the beats X.
guess what’s rumored for this fall?AirPods X.
Again, coincidence? No.
Like I said, at the moment, beets will be sticking around because there’s only two versions of AirPods. But once we get the cheaper AirPods, and the AirPods X, and the regular AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods studio, beats will no longer serve a purpose.
At the peak of the popularity of beets, they were making around $1.5 billion. They’re not as popular as they used to be. Current estimations put beats profit at around $300 million.
Meanwhile, the two models of AirPods made between 12 and $14 billion last year. So yeah, it’s obvious which one Apple cares more about.

Coincidences or not, here are some reasons that Beats may go on, (the Beats go on, the Beats go on....)

Apple-branded accessories (and yes, headphones are accessories) appeal mostly to people who use other Apple products. While there are Android phone owners who do use AirPods, the vast majority of AirPods owners are iPhone owners. Beats products, on the other hand, are purchased for use with a wide variety of non-Apple electronics, and there are an awful lot of people out there who use non-Apple electronics. In short, Beats helps Apple reach a very large market segment that the Apple brand does not reach.

Apple products are sold through a relatively limited lineup of Apple Authorized Resellers. Beats products are sold through a much larger network of dealers. Going Apple-only means losing all those additional "points of presence" (as they say in the marketing world). While Apple finds limited retail availability helps support the premium image/price of the Apple brand name, the Beats brand does not trade on exclusivity; it's a traditional mass-market brand. In mass-market, a lost point of presence is assumed to result in lost sales.

Maybe someday, far into the future, the Apple headphone brand may become so big and strong that abandoning Beats would cost the company nothing. But for the near future? I don't see it.

AirPods success fits into the predictions made when Apple eliminated the headphone jack - that Apple would find a way to sell extra-cost Bluetooth headphones to iPhone users. Although Apple hasn't stopped supplying wired EarPods free with every iPhone, you sure don't see as many people using them today as you did a couple of years ago. This is about first-time Bluetooth earphone buyers going with their preferred brand name, not existing Beats customers abandoning Beats for Apple.

Apple paid $3 billion for Beats. Of that $3 billion, most of the obvious, present value was in the brand name and the headphone product line, not the music service. The music service was valuable mostly for its potential - the core staff/infrastructure for a subscription-based entertainment service ("radio" stations, curated playlists, etc. that are only possible because the customer isn't buying individual songs/albums, but is able to listen to everything in the catalog).

Yes, Apple re-branded Beats Music to Apple Music. Beats Music was tiny, Apple's user base is huge. The world is even larger than Apple's user base, but Apple had done very, very well selling iTunes and App Store solely within its user base, so why worry about the world beyond Apple when rolling out its new subscription music service?

On the other hand, the Beats headphone brand is very big outside of the Apple ecosystem. Why throw that away that $3 billon brand name, unless it is losing money? Apple will discard product lines that don't make much money, but there's no evidence Beats is not making much money.

For evidence of that, let me point to FileMaker Pro (re-branded recently as Claris). Apple has owned this company for decades. It was never re-branded as an Apple product, never folded into AppleWorks alongside Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, or as Pro products like Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro. You can't get the Mac version of FileMaker Pro in the Mac App Store. The only iOS App Store product is a client that can access server/cloud-based implementations. FileMaker has yet to be closed down due to a small contribution to the corporate bottom line. It apparently turns a profit, so it continues to live its own life.

As I see it, an Apple over-the-ear headphone would be designed and marketed to compete against Bose, Sennheiser, etc. - traditional HiFi/audiophile brands. Beats, however, is not targeted at that audience. Will Beats lose some sales to Apple along the way? It's likely, considering the Apple fan base - some are currently buying Beats because they know it is owned by Apple. You can see exactly that in some of the comments in this thread. But I do not think this will rise to the level of "creative destruction."

And while it doesn't have anything to do with the comments quoted above, I think that these rumored Apple headphones will absolutely not look like Beats-with-an-Apple-logo, just as AirPods look nothing like Beats earphones. They will be designed to be uniquely identifiable as Apple. Not only Think Different, but Look Different.

• Love
Reactions: BlueDawg1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.