Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I'm slightly worried - the more popular OS X becomes then the more enticing it will look to hackers, fraudsters etc.

UNIX or no UNIX, OS X isn't indestructible, and look at all the iPhone hacks there are, purely because it's a very popular device.

I'm a lil scared :(
Computer literate Windows users don't use anti-virus software and don't get viruses. Common sense will block nearly 99% of all computer viruses, regardless of whatever platform you're on.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Guess that's your problem lol. So why exactly are you a member of this site then? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm honestly asking.

I must have missed the sign that says "You must prefer OS X over any other OS in order to belong to this forum".

I'm not him, but I could think of several answers:

a) He owns an iPod
b) He owns an iPhone
c) He uses both XP and OS X, but he just happens to prefer XP
d) He owns an AppleTV
e) He own a Mac, but runs Windows on it

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005

Well, like it was said: it's all about impact. Linux might have small total market-share, but on servers, it has a big piece of the pie. I believe Linux has about 30% market-share in servers, and many of those servers are mission-critical. Why bring down 10.000 desktops when bringing down half a dozen servers could cause a lot more damage?

That said, viruses on Linux are still a VERY marginal problem.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Yeah, I think it just means 14% of all PCs sold (probably in the US) were Apple. Nice.
I would agree with this.

Generally, there are two figures given:

- Installed base

- Sales (which can be total or increase for the timeframe.)

In this case, I think they are talking about Mac sales in relation to the entire market.

Good news! :)

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
But it is cool, i'm feeling a little 'less special' with this sort of news though...especially since Chris Moyles has a mac.

I think that's because Chris Moyles is the wrong kind of 'special' :rolleyes:

I know what you mean though. When this gets up to 50% I will have to move to Linux... ;)

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
During Steve Jobs' absence, Apple didn't put market share above all else: they put profits above all else and let the quality of their computers suffer. Apple created tons of different choices for consumers which just ended up confusing the hell out of everyone, and they had so many different side projects that never went anywhere and were just soaking up resources (Newton, Star Wars, Pippin, etc.).

Apple was losing money, yes, but they had tons of cash and Apple was never in danger of going bankrupt. Their hard-core Mac base stuck by them (including me) for most of the 90s as well. What almost put Apple out of business was that their products were just crappy, and the operating system was languishing while Windows gradually incorporated any advantages that the Mac OS had at that time.

When Steve Jobs came back, he focused the company's efforts on the Mac, simplified the product line to a simple product matrix, axed all side projects that weren't actually producing any results, and slowly built a comprehensive strategy for the future of the Mac OS. Today's Apple shows all the results.

The Mac mini and the iMac are still good computers, and offer pretty good bang for their buck. Just because Apple doesn't update them often doesn't mean they're not good. (In fact, it was the Mac Pro that was the most neglected computer until the most recent update -- it went for about a year and a half without any really significant updates.)

Sorry, but you're mostly wrong. Your facts are generally right, but your analysis isn't.

First off, yes Markkula (sp?) and the board put profits above all else. They were content with dwindling market share as long as they maintained fat margins and year over year growth. And Apple did have consistent year over year growth. I don't remember the exact numbers but I believe it was something like 20-35% on average. And while those numbers seemed good, the PC market at that time was growing exponentially.

Eventually, they tried to fix this, as they were faced with gradual irrelevance. Which lead to the market share strategy and the Performa line.

Yes, Apple was spread far too thin, trying to be a one stop shop for everything. They were a bit like Microsoft, attempting to compete in virtually every possible space. They had the Pippin, designed their own monitors and printers, and had so many computer lines it was difficult to remember them all.

There were a lot of factors. Quality was one of them but I'd put it way way down on the list. Then again I might be skewed as I really never paid attention to the Performas. I was corporate IT and the closest thing to a consumer Mac we saw was the occasional LC. Besides, who could keep track of all the Performa model numbers? Anyway, things like the Copland disaster and the release of Windows 95 did far more to hurt Apple than any quality issues. Oh, and the fact that almost every single Apple product had it's own unique design and unique parts.

You're right that Apple was not in real danger of going bankrupt. Then again, Novell is mostly still around, isn't it. And SCO just fairly recently went bankrupt. In other words, they were about to go legacy. They could stick around for a long time, but they were becoming irrelevant. And under Gil Amelio, right before Jobs came back, Apple lost a huge amount of money. And they did NOT have tons of cash.

When Jobs came back, he executed basic turnaround strategy. He returned to the core competency of the company, making computers. And he stripped the line to the bone, to save money. Anything that was not part of the core business was axed, regardless of whether they were profitable or not. Usually they were not. But they also discontinued products like printers.

I won't argue about the excellent long term strategy that he developed with management. However, I'd say it went like this (and yes, I'm simplifying things a lot). First stop the bleeding. Which was killing extraneous lines and simplifying the product matrix. One consumer Mac, the iMac. One tower design. And installing a GREAT management team. But let's not forget that the Cube was a disaster. And that the original iMac was around far far too long. And that frankly, Apple today would be nowhere without the iPod. The iMac initially "saved" Apple when Jobs returned. Basically, it brought some stability and profits and bought Apple time. But the iPod, which Apple sort of threw out there and hoped something would happen, turned into a phenomenon. The iPod is what made Apple today. Without it, Apple would probably not be enjoying the market share gains it is experiencing now. It would not have the iPhone. And it wouldn't have the equivalent of a Microsoft Office cash cow to fund other projects. What the market has proven is that having superior quality, superior OS, and superior user experience does not translate to market dominance in computers. Apple had most of those things in the 80's and 90's and still got crushed by Windows. Mindshare is more important and the iPod delivered it.

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
are you guys serious? why should a hacker take the time to make a virus when it can only infect 5% of machines? as Apple gains marketshare, especially among younger people who download and cruise the net more, Apple will become a more ripe (pardon the pun) target. maybe not at 15% but 20%, 25%... OS X may be more secure but it is not impenetrable

and back to topic, all I have to say in my best Mr. Burns voice...

"EXcelllllent.."

Yes and No.

If Mac has a market share of say 5%, I would expect a "market share" in viruses of 5%. Possibly even more, because Macs are usually not protected by AV software. 5% wohld mean 1000s of viruses/worms and at least some real threats, I am glat wen don't have that.

Remember, there are a lot viruses for systems that have a much lower installed base. Commodore sold 6 or 7 Mio Amiga computers during 7 years, Apple sells this number of computers in less than a year. The Amiga platform was constantly targeted by viruses anyway. There are viruses for smart phones, for Windows on Itanium (probably only a few 1000 systems worldwide!) and even programmable calculators.

If Apple continues to gain market share, we will have more ********. But I don't think it will become as terrible as it is in the windows world.

Christian

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
Computer literate Windows users don't use anti-virus software and don't get viruses. Common sense will block nearly 99% of all computer viruses, regardless of whatever platform you're on.

You are right.

A lot of these things are not based on security holes but on "social engineering".

A strange example was that infamous "love letter" worm. Here in Germany most people only have basic English language skills. For us it would be very strange and very unlikely to get a "real" love letter in English (with an English subject) from "someone" or even from someone who certainly does not love you. But still many (too many!) people did open it....

I certainly don't like windows, but this is not their fault !

Christian

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Oooft. Didn't expect to see that news! :) Are Dell not retailing it up in the US yet? They're doing it over here...

Pretty sure they are in the US since they are here in Canada. They only problem is that it's through Wal-Mart and there not in the NPD figures.

No vista was the best thing to happen to Microsoft. They needed this update years ago just as Apple needed the painfully buggy as heck 10.0 in 2000.

I've been using Vista on my MBP and my 1.2Ghz ULV tablet PC. With SP1 I will NEVER use XP ever again. The features kicks XP's butt around the block and then wraps it in a carpet and drops its corpse into the river.
People who complain about Vista:

1. Have never used it beyond sitting infront of it for 10 minutes
2. Have not used it with SP1.
3. Are stupid Mac\*nix fanbois, who no one cares about anyways.
4. Are running some really old wares that aren't, and frankly shouldn't be, compatible with Vista. MS's big problem for years is supporting all this legacy crap in its OS....unknown fact #238. XP still has drivers for reel to reel tape drives. With vista MS said enough of this crap. Something that Apple loves to do every 2-3 years...vs MS that does it every 10+

No seriously the fanbois need to shut up. Vista should be making Apple nervous. Not because of what was desplayed in 2007...but where Vista is in 2008 and with SP1. Because as I said before once MS gets its framework straightened out, which they are, they can focus on the feature set in a much more aggressive time frame then what Vista took. Apple free ride with OS X vs. XP comparisons if over. OS X vs. a more mature Vista will be beginning this Summer and Fall. As it stands the "top secret" features of Leopard don't blow Vista out of the water for anyone other then the fanbois. they are a nice addition to the OS....nothing more.

The only time I've ever used Vista was when I was working at my local computer store for co-op. Let's just say that I didn't have the greatest time with it and neither did my co-op supervisor. Hell, when he started using it nothing would work. When I was installing it on computers it would freeze up sometimes, drivers wouldn't install, programs that should be compatible wouldn't install as well.

I haven't tried SP1 since I'm still using XP. I usually don't get a new Windows OS until SP1 is out because then I will know they fixed a lot of the bugs out.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Switchers

I'm a grad student, and my perception is that Macs are making big inroads in higher education. More and more new students (and faculty) in my program are getting Macs for the first time. In the student computing center in the library, there used to be a bank of old G4 Macs (4 years ago when I started the program) that never got used, with Dells surrounding them being completely occupied. Today, those Macs have been replaced with Intel iMacs, and now students clamor to use them while the Dells are sitting unused.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Just to echo what everyone else is saying. This is really great news. I hope that the trend continues as more new innovative products are released.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Wirelessly posted (my blackberry pearl: BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Good job apple keep up the good work!

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Understatement of the year: "That’s considerably higher than Pacific Crest’s estimate of 10 percent. . ."

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Vista was one of the best things to happen for Apple! :D

A few Words for Vista

I as many here know am a true Mac fan, however I do have to say something in defense of Vista. On my new 8 Core Mac Pro with VMWare I have Vista running smoothly.

How to Run Vista:
All it took to make it run like a champ was to make sure in the VMWare settings Vista was set to 'NOT connected' to the Internet, yep that's the answer ... isolate it totally from the outside world from the get go. Then use Apple's Bonjour for Windows to print to local networked printer and add Safari for Windows, Quicktime and iTunes. These all dragged from the Mac side having down loaded the Windows versions in a second VM earlier (that VM deleted now since having been on the internet is probably dead meat). Next I disable any automatic updates and absolutely do not add any anti virus software since it isn't connected to the internet.

Having done all this it runs quite well i.e. not nearly stopping every few minutes as it downloads updates for Windows and virus information for the anti virus software as per normal. The only snag so far is I have not yet found how to stop the constant messages telling me it is unsafe as I have no firewall or virus protection and I do not have automatic updates on.

I know adding Safari seems silly when not on the net but you can drag web pages (or in my case entire web sites) from the Mac side and open them to test them in Safari and IE 7 which is why I need Vista. Then I can see what it can't deal with in web sites I make and adapt the code to allow for Vista problems.

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
The Intel switch might be the Smartest Move of the Century

I must admit that the switch to Intel chips made me nervous, but I see that the trust I place in Apple is well-founded.

The fact that you can run Windows on a Mac is a huge selling point for switchers. It also doesn't hurt that when Macs do run Windows, they do it better than any PC out there (some rating schemes have the Macs among the top machines for running Windows.)

It's like being able to stay married to your old wife while being able to try out a new girlfriend, except Apple gives you an option that we don't have in America (except maybe in rural Utah): polygamy! You can keep the wife and the girlfriend!

I'd like to see a study of new Mac buyers at the time of purchase and with a follow-up a few months later, because I'd like to know if the way they use their Macs matches with what they intended.

How many people buy a Mac to run Windows exclusively? (My guess is hardly any.)

How many want to use OS X exclusively, but found they needed Parallels to run and occasional Windows app, or need to regularly use Boot Camp, or have gone back to exclusive Windows use?

How many Windows users switch to OS X and do make a clean break and never look back? (I would hope this would be 100%, but it would be wise to know what the real number is.)

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Well maybe I am an early indicator of a trend. Back in late 2006, I had a Dell 8000 line computer that I had purchased several years prior, where I was facing having to wipe the hard drive and re-install everything once again (having done this several times already the previous few years). This was mainly due to Norton freezing things up and being difficult to uninstall, and just general Windows slowness after a while. Plus at the time we were facing the release of Vista soon, and I knew I would have to deal with then upgrading to that within a year or two (and already hearing the horror stories). There was just no way I was going to deal with these things anymore. Uh uh, not even going there. So I purchased an iMac SIGHT UNSEEN and never ever having even tried one in a store before, just based on some friends on the internet recommending it and answering my questions. And of course I haven't looked back, and purchased more Apple products, and gotten friends to purchase Apple.......and this may be what is happening right now around the country as people face these windows issues and possible upgrade to Vista.

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
I'm slightly worried - the more popular OS X becomes then the more enticing it will look to hackers, fraudsters etc.

UNIX or no UNIX, OS X isn't indestructible, and look at all the iPhone hacks there are, purely because it's a very popular device.

I'm a lil scared :(

Well, if you really want to be scared, don't bother thinking about viruses and hacks into your own PC, think of hacks into Chase and Citibank, or Merrill Lynch and American Express. The real threat is to the financial institutions that control our wealth ... and they don't use Macs ... yet.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Well, if you really want to be scared, don't bother thinking about viruses and hacks into your own PC, think of hacks into Chase and Citibank, or Merrill Lynch and American Express. The real threat is to the financial institutions that control our wealth ... and they don't use Macs ... yet.

True, they don't use Macs. They usually use Linux, UNIX and/Ior IBM-mainframes (that runs virtualized Linux-OS'es) to handle the actual transactions.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

The difference is that Windows has viruses to be gotten, and the Mac doesn't. In other words, common sense will block most viruses on the PC, but even the most computer-illiterate would have a very tough time getting a virus on the Mac. ;)

jW

mfethers

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2003
14% retail is huge

Think about it: Apple has only a handful of stores throughout the country and just started to be Best Buys. Where else can you walk in and buy a Mac? How many retailers carry other PCs? All of them, right? That makes 14% even more impressive in my book.

Yes, Dell is an online retailer. But so is Apple. I would guess the majority of Macs are sold online. Personally, I've only bought my computers online.

Regardless, this data shows the numbers of Macs are increasing, which can only be a good thing for Apple.

scotty56

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Oregon
With Apples market share continuing to rise, is it inevitable that we will be encountering more mac viruses/trojans/spyware sometime in the near future?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.