Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Doesn't this article in Macrumors https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/304175/ show historic data from NPD? I would think this allows us to make a better comparison - at least vs. March 2007. Either way this growth seems to indicate a huge increase in growth rate of Macs - I thought Apple was tracking closer to 35% growth year over year. Very impressive...

Curiously, that report broke down Apple's sales into Desktop vs Notebook, while this report is combined into one. So can't compare.

arn

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
MS's big problem for years is supporting all this legacy crap in its OS....unknown fact #238. XP still has drivers for reel to reel tape drives. With vista MS said enough of this crap.

How's that Windows Registry doing btw? Oh yeah... they can't get rid of it.

'fanbois'... aw isn't that cute. Trying to spell like the cool kids?

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
That'll be all thanks to the new MacBook Airs and Mac Pros then :p

March should be good too, with the Penryn MacBooks and multi touch MBPs.

Maybe they have iMac and Mac Minis up their sleeve over the next two months to keep the momentum going

StrudelTurnover

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Count me in. Just ordered a midrange MB and Time Capsule. I plan for it to sit next to my iMac and *REPLACE* my WinXP PC tower I built in 2001. I refuse to waste any more of my life getting Windows and PC hardware to play nice. The $1200 is better spent on something that can do it all, and quietly. XP at home, Leopard on the road.

Now I just need to get the parents on board and I can stop doing tech support all together. :D

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
How's that Windows Registry doing btw? Oh yeah... they can't get rid of it.

The Windows registry was considered an upgrade over what existing previously in the Windows arena and what still exists in Unix flavored OSs- flat files.

Personally, I prefer flat files to a central registry- but this is just a preference. There are pros and cons to both approaches. To say that "they can't get rid of it" implies that they want to get rid of it, which probably isn't the case since they consider it to be a superior solution.

Most users could care less whether their system uses a central registry or not. What they do care about is getting prompted every 60 seconds for permission to do something.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Market share has nothing to do with how secure an OS is.
Try again... Market share has EVERYTHING to do with how secure it is.
When you are attacked daily, holes get found.

When a hacker wants to wreak havoc on the world, he goes after the biggest audience.
Apple having a minority share in the marketplace has kept it out of the cross hairs.

It's all about impact. You don't have it going after the "little" guys.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
The Windows registry was considered an upgrade over what existing previously in the Windows arena and what still exists in Unix flavored OSs- flat files.

Personally, I prefer flat files to a central registry- but this is just a preference. There are pros and cons to both approaches. To say that "they can't get rid of it" implies that they want to get rid of it, which probably isn't the case since they consider it to be a superior solution.

Most users could care less whether their system uses a central registry or not. What they do care about is getting prompted every 60 seconds for permission to do something.

That simply is not true. The Registry, whatever its original purpose, has been a stability and security disaster. Most things I've seen indicated that MS has wanted to retire/move beyond it but have not been able to due to the large number of legacy apps that use it.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Do you have a source for that 30-35% figure? To my best recollection, the Mac peaked with ~15% market share in the early 90s.

Quote for freakin' truth. The Mac has never had a market share above 15%. It was only the Apple ][ that dominated the market. But that did not translate into automatic market domination for the Mac.

Of course, the strategy of market share above all else also almost bankrupted the company.

Also, what almost bankrupted Apple was not a market share above all else strategy, but rather an increasing tendency to neglect their consumer line-up. The Performas were s__t computers. I owned one, which happened to be one of the worst Macs ever made: the Performa 6200CD. It almost made me a Windows user. At the time, the high-end Macs were fantastic, but the Performas were horrible.

During Steve Jobs' absence, Apple didn't put market share above all else: they put profits above all else and let the quality of their computers suffer. Apple created tons of different choices for consumers which just ended up confusing the hell out of everyone, and they had so many different side projects that never went anywhere and were just soaking up resources (Newton, Star Wars, Pippin, etc.).

Apple was losing money, yes, but they had tons of cash and Apple was never in danger of going bankrupt. Their hard-core Mac base stuck by them (including me) for most of the 90s as well. What almost put Apple out of business was that their products were just crappy, and the operating system was languishing while Windows gradually incorporated any advantages that the Mac OS had at that time.

When Steve Jobs came back, he focused the company's efforts on the Mac, simplified the product line to a simple product matrix, axed all side projects that weren't actually producing any results, and slowly built a comprehensive strategy for the future of the Mac OS. Today's Apple shows all the results.

That's why I've been seen on these message forums lately decrying the decline in quality in the iMacs and the slowing down of Apple's update cycle for the Mini and the iMac. Right now, Apple's doing great, but I see them veering back toward that old attitude of neglecting the consumer machines while spending too much time with the high-end boxes. That's exactly what happened in the mid-90s.

The Mac mini and the iMac are still good computers, and offer pretty good bang for their buck. Just because Apple doesn't update them often doesn't mean they're not good. (In fact, it was the Mac Pro that was the most neglected computer until the most recent update -- it went for about a year and a half without any really significant updates.)

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
If it's market share and not more related to the OS, explain to me why System 7.x/8.x which had a smaller market share than OS X does now, had tons of viruses and spyware?

This is also completely false. System 7 and 8 didn't have tons of viruses and spyware. I remember only one virus (MBDF A, if I remember correctly) ever infecting a school of Classic Mac OS machines that I administered, and it was easily expunged by using the free Disinfectant tool.

The worst "viruses" that were ever on the Classic Mac OS were the Word macro viruses. But those can hardly be blamed on the OS. The Classic Mac OS was largely virus-free just like Mac OS X is today. (Although, funnily enough, as far as I know, Mac OS X has not had a single virus and only 3 or so highly publicized trojan horses that you ended up having to manually install yourself in order to "infect" your computer.)

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Key words....PC marketshare. I've see and know a TON of people who run Windows exclusively on a MacBook and MBP. There is always spin to be had with these numbers.

Wow. Who are these people and when is their psych-evaluation? ;)

No vista was the best thing to happen to Microsoft. They needed this update years ago just as Apple needed the painfully buggy as heck 10.0 in 2000.

I've been using Vista on my MBP and my 1.2Ghz ULV tablet PC. With SP1 I will NEVER use XP ever again. The features kicks XP's butt around the block and then wraps it in a carpet and drops its corpse into the river.
People who complain about Vista:

1. Have never used it beyond sitting infront of it for 10 minutes
2. Have not used it with SP1.
3. Are stupid Mac\*nix fanbois, who no one cares about anyways.
4. Are running some really old wares that aren't, and frankly shouldn't be, compatible with Vista. MS's big problem for years is supporting all this legacy crap in its OS....unknown fact #238. XP still has drivers for reel to reel tape drives. With vista MS said enough of this crap. Something that Apple loves to do every 2-3 years...vs MS that does it every 10+

No seriously the fanbois need to shut up. Vista should be making Apple nervous. Not because of what was desplayed in 2007...but where Vista is in 2008 and with SP1. Because as I said before once MS gets its framework straightened out, which they are, they can focus on the feature set in a much more aggressive time frame then what Vista took. Apple free ride with OS X vs. XP comparisons if over. OS X vs. a more mature Vista will be beginning this Summer and Fall. As it stands the "top secret" features of Leopard don't blow Vista out of the water for anyone other then the fanbois. they are a nice addition to the OS....nothing more.

Maybe I should put on my fanboy hat, but I'm still not impressed with Vista even after SP1. It's still buggy as hell on decent hardware and I keep running into problems with software that still doesn't work.

Furthermore, I think that Apple is doing well not because of Vista's faults or successes, but because Apple has designed an OS and hardware that people like. By lowering the barriers of adoption with Intel chips and Bootcamp, Apple has finally succeeded in selling itself to a wider public. The idea that there's a zero-sum game between OSX and Windows isn't widely accepted and thus Vista has to be so good as to bring users, previously burned by XP and Vista Beta ;), back into the fold. And, Vista SP1 just isn't that impressive.

One more thing about the fanboy remark, it's become a pet-peeve of mine. It's an ad hominem attack, one that doesn't direct the conversation in any meaningful way. Sometimes it may be true, but the same claim could easily be directed towards you and thus negate your valuable input.

X86BSD

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Kansas, USA

When a hacker wants to wreak havoc on the world, he goes after the biggest audience.
Apple having a minority share in the marketplace has kept it out of the cross hairs.

Actually it doesn't. That is the usual knee jerk reactionary thinking response that market share equals security holes. This theory has been proven wrong for years by taking a look at Apache vs IIS. Apache dominates the market yet has fewer holes each year. So the argument market share equals security holes is nonsense. It comes down to the quality of your software engineers and the desire to Do The Right Thing(tm) when developing. A luxury many commercial shops do not have. Don't write hurried crap code that isn't peer reviewed and you will have far fewer security issues regardless of market share.

Chris

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Actually it doesn't. That is the usual knee jerk reactionary thinking response that market share equals security holes. This theory has been proven wrong for years by taking a look at Apache vs IIS. Apache dominates the market yet has fewer holes each year. So the argument market share equals security holes is nonsense. It comes down to the quality of your software engineers and the desire to Do The Right Thing(tm) when developing. A luxury many commercial shops do not have. Don't write hurried crap code that isn't peer reviewed and you will have far fewer security issues regardless of market share.

Chris

Yep. It goes down to the old adage: correlation does not imply causation.

There's no linear relationship between market-share and security holes. I wish that particular meme would go away.

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
One more thing about the fanboy remark, it's become a pet-peeve of mine. It's an ad hominem attack, one that doesn't direct the conversation in any meaningful way. Sometimes it may be true, but the same claim could easily be directed towards you and thus negate your valuable input.

I have to agree. Since visiting this site over the past 5 years I'm seeing more and more of that label. Two things - first it sounds like were in a school yard and not on a forum discussing a company who's products most of us use. And second, this is a site dedicated to Apple. For anyone to be on this site and not like or respect the products that Apple makes seems a bit of a waste of time for them. Isn't there a dellrumors.com out there?

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
That simply is not true. The Registry, whatever its original purpose, has been a stability and security disaster. Most things I've seen indicated that MS has wanted to retire/move beyond it but have not been able to due to the large number of legacy apps that use it.

I would be interested to here what the security disaster is with the registry, and also what stability problems exist that wouldn't exist with flat .ini files scattered all over the file system.

The only argument I can think of is that having all the data in one place (the registry) introduces a single point of failure. But, it also introduces a single place to do a complete backup of this type of data.

Most Mac software "installs" via a simple .dmg. Therefore, it doesn't come with an uninstaller. This leads to orphaned config files created by the application if you ever decided to "uninstall" the app by deleting the .app bundle. This isn't much different than the registry problem on Windows. In both cases it is an application problem because the apps don't come with a proper uninstaller that can remove everything they created.

I've also had to manually rebuild my LaunchServices database on OS X via the command line, which really isn't much different than our Windows buddies having to run some sort of registry mechanic or clean up the registry by hand.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
I have to agree. Since visiting this site over the past 5 years I'm seeing more and more of that label. Two things - first it sounds like were in a school yard and not on a forum discussing a company who's products most of us use. And second, this is a site dedicated to Apple. For anyone to be on this site and not like or respect the products that Apple makes seems a bit of a waste of time for them. Isn't there a dellrumors.com out there?

Actually, SA has a good point about Vista and SP1 and that's why the comment bothers me. It makes the inference that any response or argument is from a fanboy and thus should not have value. It's a rhetorical trick.

I like the PC fans who have something to say, rare as they are sometimes, about Apple. Their POV is often interesting and informative, even if I still disagree with them.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
hopefully I can add to these numbers soon, looking to replace my g5 with a new mac pro and toss out my wifes old hp laptop with a nice macbook air :D

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney

Well store of sure market share means propagation opportunities.
But that is about as far as it goes. The Difference between an attack that can spread to 40% of Contacts to one that can spread to 20% is a factor of 10 after 5 degrees of separation, and a factor of 1000 compared with one that has 5% infection rate.

Really though as Apple grows are we really likely to ever see anyone with marketshare like mircosoft, the targets are going to things like Google Apps to enough computers to really spread.

Still no excuse not to build a more secure system.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Do you have a source for that 30-35% figure? To my best recollection, the Mac peaked with ~15% market share in the early 90s.

Also, what almost bankrupted Apple was not a market share above all else strategy, but rather an increasing tendency to neglect their consumer line-up. The Performas were s__t computers. I owned one, which happened to be one of the worst Macs ever made: the Performa 6200CD. It almost made me a Windows user. At the time, the high-end Macs were fantastic, but the Performas were horrible.

That's why I've been seen on these message forums lately decrying the decline in quality in the iMacs and the slowing down of Apple's update cycle for the Mini and the iMac. Right now, Apple's doing great, but I see them veering back toward that old attitude of neglecting the consumer machines while spending too much time with the high-end boxes. That's exactly what happened in the mid-90s.

I agree to the best of my memory the peak was close to this number, maybe 16%. If data exists to the contrary I would happily say I am wrong, but I doubt it.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002

well, I did say I believed that was the market share. Not that it was fact.

However, yes, the market share strategy was one of the major factors that hurt Apple. There were a lot of factors, but the quest for market share was one of them. I was lucky enough to not really use Performas. However, on the occasion I did sit at one, they were pretty awful. One of the reasons they were awful was that Amelio and Sculley released far too many models in an attempt for market share. They tried to have a model for everyone. Back then Apple attempted to compete directly with the Dells and Compaqs of the world. Additionally, they did begin to cut corners, decreasing quality. Throw in the disaster that was Copland and the fact that Apple was spread far too thin, making stuff like cameras.

It wasn't a neglect of the consumer line up. It was the fact that they were inherently lame computers with cut corners and a creaking operating system. And the "high end" computers weren't much better. The PowerBooks of that time were pretty awful (5300 anyone?) as were many of the PowerPC towers. Much of the problems, at least with the Power Macs, were due to the OS. Not to mention other poor products like some of their monitors.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK

I thought this myth was killed off long ago?

(ZOMG on the sales figures.)

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I'm slightly worried - the more popular OS X becomes then the more enticing it will look to hackers, fraudsters etc.

UNIX or no UNIX, OS X isn't indestructible, and look at all the iPhone hacks there are, purely because it's a very popular device.

I'm a lil scared :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.