Apple's 'Planet of the Apps' Television Show Launches Tonight

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's first original television series, Planet of the Apps, will premiere tonight, according to Reuters. The show, which was screened earlier today at the Worldwide Developers Conference, is set to premiere at 9:00 p.m. Pacific Time on Apple Music. Apple will also make the first episode free on iTunes and the Planet of the Apps website.

Produced by Ben Silverman, Howard Owens, and will.i.am, Planet of the Apps is an unscripted television show about apps and the developers who make them. The show is similar to other television shows like The Voice and Shark Tank, in that it features developers pitching their app ideas for a chance to be mentored by influencers and entrepreneurs like Gary Vaynerchuk, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Jessica Alba.

The advisors help chosen contestants build their apps and prepare them to ask for funding from participating VC company Lightspeed Venture Partners. In an interview with Reuters, iTunes chief Eddy Cue says Planet of the Apps answers the question of how to take an idea to a finished product.
    Filming for Planet of the Apps show began towards the end of 2016 and wrapped up in February. Most of the filming took place on an Apple-built set near Hollywood.

According to Reuters, the first two episodes feature developers presenting apps for online shopping, campus safety, and a school backpack, which will be featured in the App Store following the conclusion of each episode. Developers who are able to make it to the final round of the show will receive up to $10 million in funding.

Apple plans to heavily promote Planet of the Apps, with Cue saying "All of our customers are going to be exposed to this in one way or another." The show will be followed by Carpool Karaoke: The Series, another Apple-owned original series that is set to launch on August 8.

Article Link: Apple's 'Planet of the Apps' Television Show Launches Tonight

2. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

Remember this is just Apple's 'toe in the water' for original content. According to reports they're also developing shows in the realm of 'Stranger Things' and 'Westworld' to debut in the near future. Could be exciting stuff ahead.

3. Blueyo macrumors newbie

4. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

I can't believe Apple is really getting into this nonsense.

5. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

The real WWDC pleasant surprise was that this nor Carpool Karaoke was mentioned.

6. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

I work in this industry. Apple was once known to be a professional in it too. Now they'll be known for this...

7. Rettun1 macrumors regular

Will.i.am launches failed products, and gweneth Paltrow thinks water is a toxin. All-star panel!

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

9. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Waiting for the high caliber contestants:

Supersonic Fart

vs

Jellybean Ninjas

I'm on the edge of my seat.

Maybe the mentors will bring the developers together, and we'll get Jellybean Ninjas with supersonic stealth farts.

Must see television for sure.

10. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Sounds like a waste of time. I'll be watching American Gods.

11. stevet macrumors 6502

Ugh, I hope this is a metaphor and not a reality. I DO NOT want to be bombarded with ads for this BS.

12. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Waiting for Apes to storm the stage and rip the place to shreds in retaliation for the blatant and unoriginal rip off name.

13. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

So glad I'm not an Apple Music subscriber right now.

14. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

It'll be automatically added to the iPhone 8 without your permission.

15. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

16. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

I remember hearing about the first rumors and thought it was a joke... Will be interesting to see how long this lasts for.

17. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Watch these TV shows tonight on Apple Music and Apple iTunes

Methinks Apple didn't plan too far ahead when they created these names long ago.

On the other hand... NetFlix chose the perfect name for what they are today!

18. superduperultra Suspended

19. bdkennedy1 Suspended

I could give this a chance, but I would be embarrassed that I allowed myself to do it.

20. latweek macrumors regular

latweek

In a related announcement, Apple will be also rolling out a new series "Factory Worker Survivor", in which contestants compete to the death for a bricked iPhone, mano a mano, in a transparent 3d octagon called "the fanboy bubble".

21. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Because if you were you would somehow be forced to watch it? Do you watch every channel and show on television as well?

22. GrahamHedrick macrumors newbie

Anything with William and paltro is a
    Waste of time

23. mpkayeuk macrumors member

No, but he has listened to every single track on Spotify ;)

24. Zaqfalcon macrumors 6502

Similar to The Voice and Shark Tank, developers pitch their app ideas for a chance to be mentored by will.i.am, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jessica Alba?... o_O

You couldn't make this stuff up. Sounds The Worst. #NotTheOnion

25. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

It seems the people defending apple and shows like these are the new generation hipsters.
    Paltrow, william, and alba? Mentors?

You cant make this stuff up, well except
    Apple.