Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesDo

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Apple is so original these days. In the past they used to improve thing that were on the market, now they just produce low quality copies. They have become almost just as boring as Tim Cook.

somerandommacperson

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017

Apple's first original television series, Planet of the Apps, will premiere tonight, according to Reuters. The show, which was screened earlier today at the Worldwide Developers Conference, is set to premiere at 9:00 p.m. Pacific Time on Apple Music. Apple will also make the first episode free on iTunes and the Planet of the Apps website.

Produced by Ben Silverman, Howard Owens, and will.i.am, Planet of the Apps is an unscripted television show about apps and the developers who make them. The show is similar to other television shows like The Voice and Shark Tank, in that it features developers pitching their app ideas for a chance to be mentored by influencers and entrepreneurs like Gary Vaynerchuk, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Jessica Alba.

The advisors help chosen contestants build their apps and prepare them to ask for funding from participating VC company Lightspeed Venture Partners. In an interview with Reuters, iTunes chief Eddy Cue says Planet of the Apps answers the question of how to take an idea to a finished product.Filming for Planet of the Apps show began towards the end of 2016 and wrapped up in February. Most of the filming took place on an Apple-built set near Hollywood.

According to Reuters, the first two episodes feature developers presenting apps for online shopping, campus safety, and a school backpack, which will be featured in the App Store following the conclusion of each episode. Developers who are able to make it to the final round of the show will receive up to $10 million in funding.

Apple plans to heavily promote Planet of the Apps, with Cue saying "All of our customers are going to be exposed to this in one way or another." The show will be followed by Carpool Karaoke: The Series, another Apple-owned original series that is set to launch on August 8.

Article Link: Apple's 'Planet of the Apps' Television Show Launches Tonight

On one hand, I'm not too happy Apple is getting into the movie making business. Wish they'd stick with Hardware/Software. However, on the other hand, I love shark tank and since I'm a developer as well I can relate really well to every person who pitches on this show. So, this will go on my "to watch" list.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Actually Jessica Alba runs her own business and it's pretty good. You should research before jumping to a snap judgement

Pretty Good? It's mired in civil lawsuits over because the company was anything but "honest" with their products. They had to recall their organic baby powder because it caused infections; their sunscreen caused sunburns, their laundry detergent and soaps contained sodium lauryl sulfate despite company claims that they wouldn't use it in their products. The company has yet to turn a profit. Corporate giants such as Unilever and Chlorox balked at acquiring the company. They plan of IPOing last year fell through as well. Despite their $200M in venture funding and $1.7B valuation, no suitor feels the company is worth anything close to that figure.

Reactions: shinji and Otaviano

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Planet of the Apes series. This is so ridiculous. I'm going to watch something more realistic like The Walking Dead, Luke Cage or Star Trek.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Remember this is just Apple's 'toe in the water' for original content. According to reports they're also developing shows in the realm of 'Stranger Things' and 'Westworld' to debut in the near future. Could be exciting stuff ahead.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
The real WWDC pleasant surprise was that this nor Carpool Karaoke was mentioned.
And I don't think we got a lovingly crafted Jony Ive video about how something introduced was lovingly crafted. I was kind of OK with that.
[doublepost=1496848366][/doublepost]
Will.i.am launches failed products, and gweneth Paltrow thinks water is a toxin. All-star panel!
Honestly, all the great apps and creators out there and this lot is who they toss on stage to hammer away at some poor kid. With the exception of Vaynerchuk, it's a panel of unrelenting self-promoters of middling ability. I don't mind Eddy Cue being a little star-struck but, sheesh, be star-struck about some real talent in that space.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Haven't watched the full episode, but it's very Shark Tank-like...which is a rating hit.
No guarantee this will be too, but don't be so quick to judge after seeing just one episode.
There are many crap shows on TV that have become mainstream hits.

kdarling

macrumors P6
And I don't think we got a lovingly crafted Jony Ive video about how something introduced was lovingly crafted. I was kind of OK with that.

I also love Jon Ive production videos.

No one else can drone on about what are mostly common-as-dirt materials and production methods, yet make them sound so special.

Although, perhaps it only works on Americans who adore British accents?

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
I also love Jon Ive production videos.

No one else can drone on about what are mostly common-as-dirt materials and production methods, yet make them sound so special.

Although, perhaps it only works on Americans who adore British accents?
Alllllooooooominiummmm.

Reactions: kdarling

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Apple will also make the first episode free on iTunes and the Planet of the Apps website.
Where do I watch future episodes?
TV? (I'm European so don't have your channels). I have Apple Music subscription but didn't see anything. I also have the podcasts app. I'm really confused here, the show looks fun but I would expect I would see/read about it on my phone.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Where do I watch future episodes?
TV? (I'm European so don't have your channels). I have Apple Music subscription but didn't see anything. I also have the podcasts app. I'm really confused here, the show looks fun but I would expect I would see/read about it on my phone.
Click Browse in your Apple Music and it should be featured there.

Reactions: johannnn

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Apple couldn't come up with a name that wasn't completely cliche for their first attempt at TV content? Almost anything else would've been better.

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
Ok, I have now watched the entire first episode. The only way was to do it from the website, all other ways failed. Great.
So, after fiddling for half an hour to get it playing, I must say I'm underwhelmed, even with my very low expectations (like, it must be slightly better than static). ;)
Honestly, it is a totally uninspiring copy of already made shows with absolutely no twist (no, the escalator is not a twist, it's an embarrassment), and pretty amateurish looking.

Apple promised that the show would give the viewers insight into building apps but the apps were hardly visible on the show and not once, someone wrote a line of actual code. It was all about pitching an idea, something that has been done in this format before, and a lot better. This show would've been no different if they had been pitching cleaning detergents.

I assumed that the series would follow the "contestants" during the process and that the twist would be that you would actually get some insight into the actual process of making apps. That the idea to be pitched in the first episode was not supposed to be something already on the app store and done already. Compare to "Project Runway", in that show at least you get to see the contestants work and get an insight into the creative process. Nothing like that in Apples show. The show is just as shallow as the "judges", it's all about appearance, pitching and general sales speak, nothing more. It's very slow, yet moves very fast, as absurd as that may sound. One minute they have a slow, boring meeting with their "mentor", the next it's pitch time. Bam! There's a lot of meaningless walking in and out of rooms that fill out time.

The way it is now, it's all about an opportunity for mediocre apps that has not "made it" on the App Store to get extra VC funding enabling them to go out with an even bigger bang a few months later.

On the first episode you'll get to see a guy with hybris get absolutely no help with a pitch from a former actor who doesn't seem to grasp what the developers product even is (frankly I'm pretty uncertain myself, but some of it sounded that it would meet with pretty heavy resistance regarding privacy). You'll also get to see two developers get funding for expanding a company that offers a product that has no real IPO with a business model that wants people to pay them monthly for an app that does nothing more than the built in Phone or Messages app already does.

I had low expectations, but had some glimmer of hope that Apple really could make something interesting here that got more people inspired to make apps and show the ups and downs of the creative process. But no, it turned out to be even more shallow than iPod socks or Watch bands. I will not waste another minute on this crap.

Reactions: Zaqfalcon

WarDialer

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
San Jose, CA
Hey lets have the women who believes shampoo gives you or your kids cancer decide the fate your app idea!

Tim Cook and Eddie Cue need to go, this is embarrassing.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
All I want now is for HBO's Silicon Valley to parody this show next season.

Please please please do an episode where Pied Piper goes on this ridiculous show.

It would be gold.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
What are you talking about?

Oops, I just realized they are making Planet of the Apps. For some reason I though it was a Planet of the Apes series.

I guess I should have read the article. The show they are making sounds so much worse. A reality show about making Apps. You'd have to pay me to watch a show like that.

Even in a subject that is interesting. The reality show format is unbearable. The over over the top suspense, getting the peoples feelings, weekly culling, no real explanation of the subject matter.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Oops, I just realized they are making Planet of the Apps. For some reason I though it was a Planet of the Apes series.

I guess I should have read the article. The show they are making sounds so much worse. A reality show about making Apps. You'd have to pay me to watch a show like that.

Even in a subject that is interesting. The reality show format is unbearable. The over over the top suspense, getting the peoples feelings, weekly culling, no real explanation of the subject matter.
Yeah the format is a little old just now and they are late to the game on it. Usually this means they reinvent the format and win it but not this time. I found Paltrow and Will.i.am completely insufferable and sometimes it looked like these goofs didn't know what to do with their iPad after they hit the big button on the screen. I did like how Paltrow admitted in one instance that she had no experience to offer so she was going to pass in favor of someone that did but that's the problem -- she has no experience in this space.

Here's my elevator pitch if you're reading along Eddy...

We make a show about coding. Maybe have two tiers -- one with great kids completing challenges individually and in teams and at the end everyone is a winner because a bunch of kids learned some new stuff about code and teamwork and stuff! On the adult tier it's an older group of people people (30's to 50's) somewhat-to-completely unfamiliar with code and by the end they are Masters of Swift because SWIFT! Everyone is competing but fully supportive of each other because even if they don't 'win' they still learned a completely new skill and worked together and had a great time.

I know it's a bit feel-good but some of the best shows on tv right now are exactly like that -- you know, like that one with the cooking and the kids and Gordon Ramsay is as sweet and supportive to these kids as he is brutal and dismissive with adults. Not everything has to be about someone losing. I don't want Paltrow and Will.i.am and whatever c-list wannabe that isn't busy right now picking winners and losers. I want people from the world of app development. I want to see people I've never heard of that I can then learn about and follow.

Is anyone doing a show about code and programming? About girls who code? Not that I'm aware of (make me aware if there is). Let's email the crap out of Tim Cook/Eddy Cue.

Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.