iPad Apple's planned obsolescence is a joke

Discussion in 'iPad' started by matttye, Sep 21, 2014.

1. matttye macrumors 601

I have a 16GB iPad 2. My iPad automatically downloads a 6+GB update and I have no say in this. I install the update to get my space back, and the software update runs like an arse.

If that's not an attempt to force someone to upgrade then I don't know what is.

When this thing ran iOS 5 it was really quick. Now with the latest software update, if I turn off all the bells and whistles you'd think it would still run quick, but it doesn't.

Sometimes I have to wait about 15 seconds after opening certain apps before I can use it.

There are graphical errors everywhere:-

1) turn a split keyboard from portrait into landscape and the background of the keyboard is drawn incorrectly;
    2) opening the multitasking switcher results in a 2-3 delay then it jerks open;
    3) when in iMessage, open the task switcher and the content of the message you were reading vanishes.

None of these things happen on the iPhone 5s.

I think this thing isn't fit for the iPad 2 and Apple automatically downloading the update and practically forcing users to install it is a sly move to get them to upgrade.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For what ever reason, newer iOS versions always run on older hardware poorly. This isn't just an iPad issue, people have long complained about this on the iPhone.

If you have an older iPad/iPhone then I'd be very hesitant to upgrade it. I have an old iPad 1 and it runs well, but I've not upgraded it at all. My kids now use it, and they love the larger screen size. Sure it doesn't run the latest apps but they don't need that, so its fine.

3. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

I agree wholeheartedly. I wouldn't have upgraded it if it weren't for the fact that it was using a fair bit of my total ~12GB just to store the update.

My 5s is okay for the most part on iOS 8 but not sure I'd want to upgrade it any further.

4. laudern macrumors 6502a

Couldn't you format and restore the iPad and it would remove the uninstalled update?

5. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, only for it to redownload it.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Doubt it would stop Apple from continuing to push the update to your device though. :p

7. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

How did your ipad automatically download update ?
    I have ipad 2 and have no intention of doing update.

8. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I noticed that you can pause the downloading. My iPad and iPhone on 7.1.2 says downloading paused. If you connect to PC for syncing, it will unpause till it's connected by sync cable. Once you remove the cable, it will pause again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Well, we could all demand that Apple never improve anything in future versions of their products, no faster CPUs, no more storage, no more memory, no better graphics or display technology, then in that world your iPad 2 would be perfect forever. Too bad Apple products last nearly forever I guess. :rolleyes:

10. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Re read what I said.

I said Apple shouldn't practically force us to update to new software; ESPECIALLY when that software runs poorly on the device.

I'd have been fine with Apple not releasing iOS 8 for my iPad, but using up my measly 16GB storage to force download the update leaves me with little option but to install it.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Not to sound like I'm wearing a tinfoil hat, but I've long believed Apple is aware of how poorly newer versions of software runs on older devices. Whether its intentional or simply due to a lack of interest in optimizing for all hardware, who knows.

12. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I have a 16g iPad2 also and it did not automatically download the update. I had to tap to download and then install. Is this a setting difference?

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'd like to ask what the OP is doing where iOS 8 is automatically being downloaded? I have an iPad 2, 3, and Air and neither of them have received automatic downloads. :confused:

The only way you will get a forced update is if you are connected to the internet and the device is plugged in via the charger.

14. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Yours is over 6gb on your iPad 2 and mine is just shy of 5 on my iPad 2.

Interesting.

15. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Sorry it requires 6GB of space for the install, doesn't actually use up that much space for the download.

16. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Just because faster and better devices are now available doesn't mean Apple is right to reach into our older devices and turn down the speed dial. At the very minimum Apple should provide a clear choice on whether to download the update and support those who choose not to. By support I mean ensure that advertise services, iCloud, Facetime etc continue to work as they did at the time of purchase, and that security vulnerabilities are fixed (eg goto fail).

The company has a 12 digit bank balance. They can easily than afford it.

17. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Then my iPad lied to me and I'm in for a world of hurt when it installs. >_>

----------

The iPad 2 came out 3 years ago. It getting updates at all is pretty big in the day of mobile tech.

18. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

It doesn't use that amount of space once installed, just needs it for the installation process itself.

19. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

So I should be good with the 4.7gb of space that it told me I needed before the install? It sounds like a weird question, but I'd rather nothing go wrong with this upgrade.

20. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

How is it automatically downloading the update to your device? For both my iPhone and iPad it told me the update was available and gave the option to download but never forced downloaded on its own.

22. chupachup, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

chupachup macrumors 6502

I've never heard of an iPad downloading an update without you clicking download.

You have to click on iTunes, on the iPad you have to select Install, then click ok then accept the terms.

Same deal on your computer. Even if it Downloads it won't install unless you agree

You do know just because it says there's an update available doesn't mean you have to click install right?

23. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

That's what it told me too, that I needed 4.7g for the install only.

24. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Thank you, good sir.

25. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

I've never has an update download itself. 3 iPads and 5 iPhones in the family. Each time there is an update I go around updating manually. In fact I have an iPhone 4S that i regularly reject the update on. I keep iOS6 on there. I liked that rendition. I don't remember but maybe there is a toggle for auto updating. There is one for app's, maybe it applies to the iOS updates too.