Apple's Plans to Release 5G iPhone in 2020 Could Be Stymied by Intel Delays

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 3, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Intel is having trouble meeting deadlines for the XMM 8160 5G modem that Apple is counting on to add 5G connectivity to its 2020 iPhone lineup, reports Fast Company.

Citing a source with knowledge of Intel and Apple's relationship, Fast Company says that Intel has been missing developmental deadlines on the 5G chip, leading Apple to lose confidence in Intel.

[​IMG]

For a September 2020 launch, sample chips need to be provided to Apple this summer, and a finished modem design needs to be available by the beginning of 2020. Intel has said its chips will be in mobile devices by 2020, and has plans to ship the 8160 5G chip in the second half of 2019, but it's not clear if it will make those target dates.

Apple began using Intel chips alongside Qualcomm chips with the launch of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, and in 2018, Intel was Apple's exclusive LTE chip supplier for the iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max following Apple's legal woes with Qualcomm.

Rumors have suggested that Apple is planning to introduce 5G connectivity in the iPhone in 2020 and is relying on Intel's chips to do so.

Intel and Apple's relationship is said to be tense, and on the Intel side, there have already been three project managers overseeing the development of the modem. Apple has been holding talks with Samsung and Mediatek about supplying modem chips in the near term, but neither company may have chips ready for 2020.

Fast Company's source says that it would make the most business sense for Apple to go back to Qualcomm, but given the ever-increasing legal tensions between the two companies, that seems unlikely.

Apple is preparing to develop its own modem chips in house so that it doesn't need to rely on either Intel or Qualcomm, but those chips are not going to be ready in time for a 2020 5G iPhone launch.

Article Link: Apple's Plans to Release 5G iPhone in 2020 Could Be Stymied by Intel Delays

2. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

I'll be honest, I'm sick of the Qualcomm issue. Just pay a few bucks and keep up with the rest of the 5G world until there are alternative chips.

3. jiggad369 macrumors regular

jiggad369

Apple's own chips can't arrive anytime sooner.

4. mnsportsgeek macrumors 68000

Looking forward to the iPhone 12 announcement early in spring 2020 as a surprise.

"And it'll be available in 2020. We don't know when, but trust us. We promise. Have we ever let you down?"

5. cmaier Suspended

I’m fine with LTE for now. It’s not like i can do anything useful in the phone form factor with near-gigabit internet anyway.

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

While I understand that 5G isn't widespread yet, by late 2020, if Apple isn't in the 5G game, it's going to hurt their image. The Galaxy S11 for example would most likely have 5G standard by early 2020, and Apple wouldn't offer it until late 2021, assuming all this is true. I don't like it when Apple falls this behind :(

7. farkingdom macrumors member

I’m fine without 5G, in real world usage 4G has been fine to me. 5G on the other hand exhibits a much higher radio frequency, and there isn’t much study to prove it is ‘safe’.
    5G increases the level of RF radiation in the vicinity of the antenna. And it exceeds the limit of safety among so many countries

8. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors regular

IRockThat828pScreen

9. AngerDanger, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Just wait for Intel to cancel the chips altogether, citing an inability achieve their high standards.

See if it's as gut-wrenching for you as it was for us… :(

[​IMG]

10. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Meanwhile at Qualcomm HQ:

819A35EB-5DCA-45A9-A492-5A95CFD927DA.jpeg

Well, my Xr’s modem has been surprisingly good. I don’t think I’ll be seeing any 5G service from AT&T in my area even in 2021, so... whatever. 5G capability didn’t even factor into my Android purchase.

11. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors regular

IRockThat828pScreen

The iPhone 12 fails to meet its scheduled September release date and is cancelled in March of 2023.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2019 ---
    Intel? Quality? HA!

12. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

13. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Remember when the rumours here were about the PowerBook G5? Couldn’t happen because chip supplier couldn’t fulfil their requirements... so they went to intel. lol.

Now it’s about the iPhone 5G. Having difficulty because the chip supplier... yada yada...

The more things change, the more they stay the same, etc... :p

14. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

As I recall, Apple was one of the last to the LTE party as well. Doesn't seem to have had any long term effects.

15. hagjohn macrumors 6502

hagjohn

I do not have plans on buying a new phone will the iPhone has 5G.

16. Strokee macrumors member

As I said in a previous thread:

There are reasons why Apple should release a 5G phone:

1.) Marketing. 5G Android phones will be releasing soon. Next year they will all be 5G.
    2.) Future-proofing. Apple loyalists may not jump to Android to get 5G capable phones, but many just wont upgrade their iPhones until Apple offers a 5G capable phone.
    3.) Image. Apple’s image is already taking a hit. They’re offering fewer features, dated hardware for higher prices. Offering last-generation-network-access-only doesn’t help their image.

The latest rumors today say (possibly) no 5G iPhone until late 2021 (at the earliest). That’s a long ways away. 5G will be well known, heavily marketed and readily available between now and then. 2.5 years is a lifetime in tech years.

Apple’s foolish Qualcomm battle has painted them into a corner they don’t want to be in. Apologists will come out in droves defending Apple and downplaying this issue, but it’s exactly that: an issue.

17. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Stop overreacting to cancelling AirPower.

Apple also doesn’t owe you anything and has better product execution than any company on the planet.

Don’t be so smug. Apple made $60B in profit in 2018. The #2 company made $23B. Apple and company know EXACTLY what they're doing.

18. KnighsTalker macrumors regular

KnighsTalker

What the flip is wrong with Intel? They've needed to get their shish together for a long time now!

19. mnsportsgeek macrumors 68000

Lol. I didn’t actually think that would trigger anyone.

20. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Yes, but almost 3 years behind? Besides, the demand for smartphones wasn't nearly as high as it is now, not exactly the most fair comparison. People expect the latest tech as soon as possible in today's market.

21. Strokee macrumors member

No kidding!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2019 ---
    ...and it begins...

22. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I don't plan to replace my iPhone XS Max until 2021, so whenever works for me, personally. Plus I am on AT&T, so even if the 2021 iPhone has 5G, AT&T probably won't. :p

23. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

Back in the day when Apple moved from their own chips in G5 Quad PowerPC's etc. to Intel, every upgrade was always delayed because Intel was never able to deliver on time according to their own projections, so this is nothing new.

24. Strokee macrumors member

If the Galaxy Note 10 has a 5G version with the Snapdragon X55 modem, consider me gone. Apple is simply too lazy, too entitled and too disingenuous to keep me around.

25. MaSx, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019

MaSx macrumors regular

Intel have not been good on their promises lately. Too many delays and not the best company Apple should be relying on, perhaps, time to rectify things with Qualcomm? at least until you can fire up your own modem.