Apple's Plans to Release 5G iPhone in 2020 Could Be Stymied by Intel Delays

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 3, 2019.

1. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Well, I suppose if Apple does push back a 5G phone till 2021, that will line it up with my 2 year upgrade cycle. Unless of course this year is another disappointing iteration.

2. currentinterest macrumors 6502

Apple chips have proven superior to all others, their modem chip will likely be superior as well. It will be worth the wait.

3. WoodpeckerBaby macrumors 6502

WoodpeckerBaby

5G on phones is not a big improvement. LTE is fast enough. Can you afford more data on your cellular plan? In Canada, it's $25 per GB for data, the base price for calling and texting for Canada nation-wide is around $50, and data is extra. Pay per use is $1 per MB.

4. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

Is there room to do this without stepping on some producer, developer, or troll’s patent toes?

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well, until Apple brings everything it needs in-house. We already know they're working on CPUs, GPUs, controller chips, and modem/radio. Probably screens is going to have to happen at some point. Then maybe batteries or something. At that point there's little to hold them back unless they mess up the manufacturing and materials sourcing themselves. Sure, that stuff is really expensive to spin up but they're sitting on a pile of something like a quarter trillion $.

6. citysnaps macrumors 601

7. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

So in short, we can expect a first generation 5G modem from Intel in 2021.

Mature 5G designs from Apple won’t arrive until 2022. By then, Qualcomm and Huawei will be delivering third gen 5G modems.

I can see why Apple is fast tracking their in-house modem design. Best case scenario, they’ll have something similar to Intel by 2021.

8. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Yes, but of course they’ll have to pay fees for standards essential patents like Intel, Mediatek and Samsung do.

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

It’s nonsense. Post some real content with some thought or insight.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2019 ---
    The facts begin...

10. Saipher macrumors 6502

Saipher

Intel suck as of late with all their delays. Apple should just make an offer to buy Qualcomm that investors will not refuse and just be done with this whole drama...

11. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

Lesson to Tim Apple: Dont burn bridges when you’re still crossing them.

12. predation macrumors 65816

13. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Couldn’t disagree more. It’s not an issue. The 5G rollout will be slow and it’s not like LTE is too slow.

Apple took years to bring LTE to iPhone, and 3G==>4G was a lot bigger improvement than 4G to 5. If Apple really think they need it next year, it seems like they would just use Samsung’s chip. But one thing you can be pretty sure of is that Apple won’t be using Qualcomm’s chip—that bridge is burned to the ground.

14. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

People keep proposing that as if it were a real option. It's not. The FTC and DOJ would object to such an acquisition.

15. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Bye! Apple will somehow just have to manage without you.

16. sirghost macrumors member

17. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Apple being behind in the tech race hasn't really affected it's success at all. They were behind on NFC and OLED, nary a blip on the radar. It'll be the same with 5G. Until the network is properly fleshed out, 5G is going to be nothing more than a marketing bullet point.

18. Jamers99 macrumors regular

Jamers99

The wireless carriers are rapidly building out their 5G networks but it seems the phone technology isn't keeping up.

19. Attirex macrumors 6502a

Attirex

20. racerhomie macrumors 6502

racerhomie

No one except geeks care.
    Haha good joke. They cant even provide 4G properly.
    OOH so edgy.

21. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

Not to mention Qualcomm has nothing of real value that Apple needs. Processors? Not even close to Apple so nothing of use there. Modems? Apple could choose from several companies if they’re in a bind (Samsung, Mediatek, Huawei, Intel). I’m sure either one would be thrilled to get a multi-billion dollar deal from Apple.

22. mannyvel macrumors regular

Historically, Intel has never been good at tracking new technology. There culture is one of slow, steady, incremental changes with planned jumps in performance. They're bakers, not cutting-edge technology suppliers.

Handling a standard that's in it's infancy, with all the interoperability problems associated with that, is just not in Intel's DNA. New stuff has too many uncontrolled variables for Intel's processes to handle.

23. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

thats a strong statement, apple execution for its products has been rather disappointing lately. their mac line up is not doing so well compare to the past, their mbp are riddled with issues left and right, keyboard, screen, t2, blown speakers, etc. apple watch battery expanding, causing screens to pop out. imacs are complete garbage and expensive to fix i wouldn't touch it with a 10 feet pole. the iphones sales are so bad that apple had to issue a earning report warning for the first time in 15 years.

apple is now slowly transiting to a service model with its apple tv and news+, with its hardware execution taking somewhat of a back seat,

while i do agree with others that i dont see the need for 5g since i'm happy with 4g, but not having 5g would definitely be a bad image for the most profitable company in the world.

am i still a apple fan? yes, otherwise i would've bugger off from this site a long time ago, but i think i'm at a point where i buy apple products because i eventually need to upgrade, not like before where i buy because i was excited for new features.

24. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

No, it hasn’t.

25. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

Qualcomm holds 15% of 5G patents - they're certainly valuable.

Qualcomm has an appreciable lead in 5G. During MWC 2019, only Qualcomm and Huawei showed working 5G chips. Intel, Samsung, and Mediatek didn't show anything and are clearly behind. Samsung is using Qualcomm X50 in the S10. Huawei has no interest selling their chips to anyone and certainly won't help Apple.