Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has held discussions with Baidu about using the Chinese company's generative AI model to power some of the iPhone's rumored generative AI features, according to The Wall Street Journal. As previously reported, Apple is also said to have held similar discussions with Google and OpenAI, the company behind the popular ChatGPT chatbot.

iOS-18-Mock-Siri-Feature-Baubles.jpg

If these partnerships move forward, it is likely that Baidu would power some of Apple's generative AI features in China, while other companies like Google or OpenAI would serve as partners in the U.S. and other countries. China requires generative AI models to receive local regulatory approval, and Baidu's Ernie chatbot is on the approved list, but Google's Gemini and OpenAI's ChatGPT chatbots are not available in the country.

Apple has repeatedly teased that it has generative AI announcements to share later this year, and this likely refers to iOS 18. The software update is rumored to include new generative AI features for a range of iPhone features and apps, including Siri, Spotlight, Apple Music, Health, Messages, Numbers, Pages, Keynote, Shortcuts, and more.

iPhone 16 models are rumored to feature an upgraded Neural Engine with "significantly" more cores, which could result in some of iOS 18's generative AI features being exclusive to those models. iPhone 15 models have a 16-core Neural Engine.

iOS 18 will be previewed at Apple's developers conference WWDC in June, so we're just a few months away from learning about these generative AI plans.

Article Link: Apple's Potential Partners for iOS 18 Generative AI Features Include Google, OpenAI, and Baidu

c84216

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
Maybe I don't know better but this is starting to sound like SherlockAI. Not Apple's own AI but something that aggregates results from other AI engines to give you the best selection.

On another note I've complete de-Googleified after some of what I've learned about them. I do not want their AI model hoovering up data from my supposedly "privacy"-tilting phone.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Maybe I don't know better but this is starting to sound like SherlockAI. Not Apple's own AI but something that aggregates results from other AI engines to give you the best selection.

On another note I've complete de-Googleified after some of what I've learned about them. I do not want their AI model hoovering up data from my supposedly "privacy"-tilting phone.
You don't even need a Google account for them to hoover up your data. Your profile was built via all the advertising you have been served & the analytics associated with that.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
OpenAI needs to diversify, they have all of their eggs in the Microsoft basket and that is never good! OpenAI should form a partnership with Apple just to rattle Microsoft's cage! And contrary to popular belief Microsoft is not an AI powerhouse, they get all of their most important AI technology from OpenAI!

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
You'd surely think all this would have been well & truly resolved by now and software engineers would be busy integrating whatever partner they chose into iOS 18/macOS 15 rather than shoehorning it in at the last minute or via a 18.3 software update or whatever.
Cook's modus operandi is "shoehorning" to make the Keynote look fabulous. He has been doing it for years. I think Cook gets a massive headache when he tries to look past the current fiscal quarter.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I thought Apple is making their own AI? So why partner with others?

Microsoft is partnered with OpenAI! It makes sense to partner and leverage partnerships to make Apple's AI more powerful.

I know this is likely hugely complex, but is this the jist of it: Apple 'teased' numerous times it is has AI stuff to announce this year with iOS 18, and presumably the M4 chip. And is now going around all the people who have existing AI stuff to do deals? Think about that. That's WEAK.

Where do you think Microsoft's AI technology comes from? A partnership with OpenAI.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
You'd surely think all this would have been well & truly resolved by now and software engineers would be busy integrating whatever partner they chose into iOS 18/macOS 15 rather than shoehorning it in at the last minute or via a 18.3 software update or whatever.
The betas will be alphas, and 18.0 will be the first beta, and 18.9.7 the last.

Last edited:

hacky

Suspended
Jul 14, 2022
I know this is likely hugely complex, but is this the jist of it: Apple 'teased' numerous times it is has AI stuff to announce this year with iOS 18, and presumably the M4 chip. And is now going around all the people who have existing AI stuff to do deals? Think about that. That's WEAK.
Exactly! I hoped Apple to bring something innovative into the AI field. Some new serious competition there.

This is really underwhelming.

But I guess better to partner with someone with actually working AI than have another dumb Siri 2.0...

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I’m pretty sure Apple has been developing for all 3 at the same time. At this rate. The EU won’t let Apple be exclusive with one company lol

peneaux

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020
Apparently will be Google. They have money to pay Apple to disregard Apple’s privacy statements.

Privacy is a fundamental didn’t. Unless you get paid billions.

Reactions: parameter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.