Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
"It's a start, but you know what would really hurt Facebook? Uninstalling it and it's awful associated apps. Good riddance."​

That's a good first step... but the problem is that Google and FB's SDK are built into the apps we use; their tracking cookies are built into the websites we visit, etc.

Even if you've never belonged to Facebook, or Google (YouTube, etc.), they still track you! To show that, back up your cookies (to save log-in cookies), then clear them out, then visit such sites as the New York Times and the Washington Post. Afterwards, look at your cookie list and enjoy seeing Facebook and Google-related cookie. Or, run their apps on your i-devices. They're still tracking you. (Buried in their privacy policies will be references to third-party tracking.). If they fetch web content, your Safari browser will end up with their cookies, even you weren't using it!

Definitely worthwhile installing cookie and tracking blockers. I use Cookie on the Mac along with several different Ad blockers. Cookie lets you whitelist certain sites, thus preserving log-in cookies, while blocking trackers. You can also set it so that it automatically deletes cookies every couple of minutes. Safari on the i-devices should come with that built-in!

Glad to see FB take a hit and Zuckerberg, too!

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2009
UK
Poor Suckerberg. Must be having sleepless nights that he's lost a few noughts off of his bank statement.

Reactions: Morod

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
That's some BS number. Advertisers still spending money. Just the Ads are less targeted.
The ads aren't really targeted at all. Just go to Youtube and check out a few videos. You will get the same ads over and over again. If they were really targeted then they'd know you're not interested (especially when you click to skip the ad) and switch them out with new ads.

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Suspect the $10B is an exaggeration - whatever the number is, if someone has lost $XB then someone else has saved $XB to spend on other things - additional sales staff as an example.

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Reactions: Captain Trips

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Now imagine if all those billions went towards people’s social well being instead of being pocketed for profit. And it’s been what, barely a year?

If you want to solve the cost of social programs, benefits, and entitlements, it will be through monetizing personal data not for the benefit of business, but for the benefit of people.

Reactions: Morod

cyberlocke

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
Although in other news, Apple users are complaining about the significant increase in subscription models for apps that were free, due to ads. Can't have it both ways. Expect subscriptions to become more widely used to make up for this.
Exactly. If we, as consumers, want to see fewer ads, we are going to have to be willing to pony up some money to make that happen. Nothing is free. If you're not buying the product, you are the product.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I have no doubt companies affected by Apple's ATT will find ways around it.

It will happen exactly the same way in which companies deal with their tax obligations. Governments put taxes in place for all sorts of things and for different reasons. Companies then hire accountants to find legal ways to avoid paying the right amount of tax by finding multiple rules, adding them together and hey presto, legal tax avoidance.

Companies who rely on selling user data to 3rd parties for their survival will do exactly the same. They will hire lawyers and software programmers to come up with ways to legally get around Apple's ATT.

Reactions: amartinez1660

mac_rumors_reader

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2021
Not a fan of FBook et. al. at all. Interesting fact: Apple's ad revenues jumped by about $5B as it allows itself to use your info to place ads since its "privacy" rules only applies to 3rd parties. Ask yourself, when FBook's ad revenues shift to Apple after implementing its new "privacy" rules... does something seem amiss ???

Your statement is actually not correct, you can also turn off targeted ads from Apple in your settings. Go to Settings -> Privacy -> Apple Advertising.

blaureiter

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2019
While I have "prevent cross tracking" enabled and other security features and I have never been a FaceBook member, I will always find a Facebook.com and Facebook.net in my cookies. Until you can have a list of sites (IP addresses) to prevent connection in Safari, it is still have baked. I just open cookies at the end of the day and clean out want I do note want - every time there is "FaceBook."

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This was an issue from the very beginning. Default should be opted out, and ONLY if I manually opt in should I be part of the marketing. This massive deception from the beginning is to blame, Apple is only putting it right (and of course benefiting from their own in house advertising, but we won't mention that on here).

For me it's like saying the police cost a bank robber $1 million because they foisted their bank robbery attempt. Yeah I get that it's a crappy analogy because robbing a bank is illegal, I just feel that opting people into marketing automatically should be illegal as well.

Reactions: amartinez1660

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Exactly. If we, as consumers, want to see fewer ads, we are going to have to be willing to pony up some money to make that happen. Nothing is free. If you're not buying the product, you are the product.

Apple is only getting started though. This is about apple and their ads. Nothing more. Yep you’re the product.

• Disagree
Reactions: MacNeb

MJaP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
...so you're all SO concerned about privacy... and yet you all use macrumors.com ever wondered who they're selling your data to?... Let me show you...

Did you get a cookie popup once and only once when you first visited the site? It defaults to the "Purposes" tab... did you think to click on the "vendors" tab:

1635777035736.png

macrumors calls these advertising parasite "our partners" there are over 100 of them listed... looks like they're all turned off doesn't it?... but no, they are being highly deceptive, if you click on one of them...

1635777151168.png

Oh look INSIDE "legitimate interest" is turned on even though "consent" is turned off... and believe me, what constitutes "legitimate interest" is a VERY flexible term, and so macrumors sells your details to over 100 advertising partners without your knowledge and they sell it on to others.

You would have to open up each individual vendor and individually click on each green slider to turn it off... that's over 200 clicks... vile insidious marketing practice. I wonder if we can report them to the European Union for breech of GDPR as there should be a single simple click to turn off Legitimate Interest, other sites manage it, but apparently macrumors doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.