Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LivingMyBeachLife

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2021
Why is everyone calling FB Meta now. Google is still referred as Google, not Alphabet.
Because they not taken the time to read the information for themselves. They hear the taglines and story lines from media saying Facebook has changed it's name. They've not taken the time for themselves to know that Meta is the parent company for Facebook, Instagram and What's App

LivingMyBeachLife

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2021
I don't get it. People on this post are calling out Facebook. But this very site, Macrumors does the exact same thing and no one is calling them out.

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 11.05.24 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 11.07.00 AM.jpg

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
Keep in mind when you say “hurts Facebook” remember who gave them that money.

It was us small businesses that had a platform to compete with the big guys in advertising.

I have had to leave the platform for advertising entirely. The conversions are nearly gone.

I love privacy but this ends up being a win for big corporations.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
I was actually thinking about this from a different perspective over the weekend.

We had CNBC on in the office all of last week, Earnings week.

Consider this ...

What if Apple had their Privacy features in-place from the Get Go of the App Store, instead of ONLY fairly recently ?

IMO, it's a great exercise to consider the implications.

And really for anyone.

I'll start, I don't think there would be ANY 100% FREE apps, NOT ones of any real value.

I believe the Race to the Bottom "was enabled" by Ads !

I believe Apple benefited significantly from 100% FREE apps.

It may take some time, but I do believe 100% FREE apps will go the way of the Do Do Bird.

And, that Apple will take a hit to its value because of it.

Specifically, Apple consumers who are UN-willing to pay for their apps or the services that those apps provide, will lose their Enthusiasm for Apple's products.

IMO, easy to predict !

70% of Apple's App Store Revenue comes from Game Apps !

Less than 10% of Apple's consumers buy apps OR purchase IAPs !

As such, more than 90% of Apple consumers could lose their Enthusiasm (to some extent) for Apple products !

What Apple has done is very risky to them !

• Disagree
Reactions: MacNeb and Stevez67

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Anybody else wish Lou Montulli hadn't invented internet cookies?

Anyway, this made my day. $10 billion is hopefully just the starting point. So far I have managed to stay pretty clear of scam artists and junk advertisers, but recently I've been getting scam e-mail from bogus ID's like sddufgogygfoDsdyfgosdyufg@goggle.com, supposedly telling me that McAfee has expired when I have never used it. So clearly I am on somebody's list. :mad:

Reactions: MacNeb and Morod

Runequester

macrumors regular
May 24, 2021
If modern advertisement can't survive without invading peoples privacy, then its time to go the same way as buggy manufacturers and flint-and-steel makers.

Reactions: MacNeb and Stevez67

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Crocodile tears. These companies are trying to convince us that our private data is somehow their's for the picking. Apple is simply following through on their commitment to their attitude that we are not a product.

Reactions: MacNeb and mp8

KindJamz

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2021
That’s a meaningless statistic.

Would you rather have a minority share of the market or a majority share? That seems like a simple question, but it’s really not. If you’re Apple, you’d rather have a minority share, so long as that “minority” share is the top end of the market, where all the money is.

If they wanted pure market share they could do what Dell and Samsung and others do and churn out plasticky garbage devices that cost very little to make and, likewise, earn very little in profit because the margins at the bottom of the market are razor thin.

Apple would rather have the top 20% than the bottom 80%, because there is vastly more money to be made with that arrangement.
Now imagine if all those billions went towards people’s social well being instead of being pocketed for profit. And it’s been what, barely a year?

If you want to solve the cost of social programs, benefits, and entitlements, it will be through monetizing personal data not for the benefit of business, but for the benefit of people.
Let apple lead the way giving up it’s profits for the good of the world.

Reactions: Mockletoy

rp100

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
The dollar amount seems quite inflated...

The 3rd party site/app only needs your IP and generic device info. Because so many people use Facebook, those two bits of info have a pretty good probability of identifying you, particularly if few users are sharing the IP (home internet in particular). They don’t necessarily need to know who you are at all times - only that you are user x at one moment in time, and later on tie together all the activity. People also sign into apps using their Facebook ID which eliminates the need for any kind of hidden tracking ID.

My sneaking suspicion is that ATT is blocking Facebook from tracking those who don’t use Facebook.

Reactions: Stevez67

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Good news! ?
But the title should read "Apple's privacy features have prevented social media companies from stealing $10B".
They haven't actually lost anything, because that money wasn't theirs to begin with.

Reactions: MacNeb

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I don't get it. People on this post are calling out Facebook. But this very site, Macrumors does the exact same thing and no one is calling them out.

View attachment 1899635

View attachment 1899636
Maybe it's because nobody has made a recent thread in the proper section of this forum for such a question and debate, that thread being 'Site Feedback' with a thread asking 'Why is Macrumours tracking me?'.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
If so many people hate FB, then why is it still around?
A very large number of folks love FB. They aren’t the ones that post about not liking FB, though. There’s also a very large number of folks that don’t like FB. Admittedly, there MAY be some crossover :)

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002

That’s not surprising and pretty common knowledge. All app developers are looking for whales, folks that have no problem spending large amounts of money on their game. Whales are NEVER a large number of users, and they don’t HAVE to be. If your game has tens of thousands of users and only 5% are whales, you’re still making a profit over time.

Reactions: MacNeb and Crowbot

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I was actually thinking about this from a different perspective over the weekend.

We had CNBC on in the office all of last week, Earnings week.

Consider this ...

What if Apple had their Privacy features in-place from the Get Go of the App Store, instead of ONLY fairly recently ?

IMO, it's a great exercise to consider the implications.

And really for anyone.

I'll start, I don't think there would be ANY 100% FREE apps, NOT ones of any real value.

I believe the Race to the Bottom "was enabled" by Ads !

I believe Apple benefited significantly from 100% FREE apps.

It may take some time, but I do believe 100% FREE apps will go the way of the Do Do Bird.

And, that Apple will take a hit to its value because of it.

Specifically, Apple consumers who are UN-willing to pay for their apps or the services that those apps provide, will lose their Enthusiasm for Apple's products.

IMO, easy to predict !

As such, more than 90% of Apple consumers could lose their Enthusiasm (to some extent) for Apple products !

What Apple has done is very risky to them !
I agree. If advertisers see a drop in their app store revenue due to Apple's ATT blocking the functions of their ad's, the advertisers will pull out of providing their services to app developers and without these advertisers, a huge chunck of app store dev's would not be able to financially support their app which means the app would eventually be pulled away from the app store. The more apps that get moved off the store will mean it will have a less desirable impact on dev's wanting to build apps for the store.

Question is how long will it be before we start seeing apps only appearing on android because the app dev cannot make any money off Apple's app store due to the implemention of ATT. What Apple has done is risky in my opinion, I agree with you on that also.

TheLinkster

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2001
Exactly. If we, as consumers, want to see fewer ads, we are going to have to be willing to pony up some money to make that happen. Nothing is free. If you're not buying the product, you are the product.
I guarantee you're not seeing less ads; you're seeing less targeted ads which facebook and google make more money from.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Great news to start a Monday. I'm planning on retiring from Meta/Book soon anyway.
Did that in 2014, and I never regreted it since.
It's such a more pleasant life without facebook honestly and I'd gladly ditch whatsapp, if I could convince more people to switch to signal.
Instagram I cannot let go as it's useful for my job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.