Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added 13 and 15-inch 2019 MacBook Pro models to its online store for refurbished products in the United States, offering the updated machines at a discount for the first time.

The MacBook Pro section of Apple's refurbished store currently features several MacBook Pro models that were first released in May of 2019, with multiple configurations available at different price points. Both stock and custom configurations are available.

may2019refurbishedmacbookpro-800x428.jpg

All of the refurbished MacBook Pro models are discounted by right around 15 percent. For the most affordable May 2019 13-inch MacBook Pro with a 2.4GHz processor and 256GB of storage, the discount drops the price from $1,799 to $1,529.

The new entry-level 1.4GHz 13-inch MacBook Pro models that were released in July are not yet available from the refurbished store, with only the higher-end May 2019 models discounted right now.

May 2019 MacBook Pro models feature Intel's 8th and 9th-generation processors with 8-core, 6-core and quad-core chip options. An upgraded butterfly mechanism is also included that's supposed to cut down on key failures, and there are updated graphics options.

Refurbished 2019 MacBook Pro models ship out right away, with next-day delivery available in some areas.

All of Apple's refurbished products go through a rigorous refurbishment process before being offered for sale, which includes inspection, repairs, cleaning, and repackaging. Like new purchases, refurbished Macs come with a one-year warranty that can be extended with an AppleCare+ purchase.

For tips on purchasing a refurbished product, make sure to check out our guide.

Article Link: Apple's Refurbished Store Now Offering 2019 13 and 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models

Last edited:
Reactions: Fradley

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Apple today added 13 and 15-inch 2019 MacBook Pro models to its online store for refurbished products in the United States, offering the updated machines at a discount for the first time.

The MacBook Pro section of Apple's refurbished store currently features several MacBook Pro models that were first released in May of 2019
That seems really quick to seem them in the Refurbished Store. Less than 3 months since launch.

While I do not keep track of when all the new Macs end up being offered on Apple's Refurbished Store, it seems that it is usually six months or more after their launch.

All of Apple's refurbished products go through a rigorous refurbishment process before being offered for sale, which includes inspection, repairs, cleaning, and repackaging. Like new purchases, refurbished Macs come with a one-year warranty that can be extended with an AppleCare+ purchase.
I have purchased many Apple Refurbished products over the years, including a few Macs.

I have not had any HW issues with any of them.

Actually, my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 was an Apple Refurbished product, and it is still in daily use today.

One thing that should be noted is that refurbished Apple product is not the same thing as an Apple product refurbished by Apple.

At least in the US, there is no legal guideline defining what refurbishing an electronic actually entails. Finding a Mac on ebay labeled as refurbished could be as simple as the seller wiping the out case off with a damp cloth.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
That seems really quick to seem them in the Refurbished Store. Less than 3 months since launch.

While I do not keep track of when all the new Macs end up being offered on Apple's Refurbished Store, it seems that it is usually six months or more after their launch.

I have purchased many Apple Refurbished products over the years, including a few Macs.

I have not had any HW issues with any of them.

Actually, my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 was an Apple Refurbished product, and it is still in daily use today.

One thing that should be noted is that refurbished Apple product is not the same thing as an Apple product refurbished by Apple.

At least in the US, there is no legal guideline defining what refurbishing an electronic actually entails. Finding a Mac on ebay labeled as refurbished could be as simple as the seller wiping the out case off with a damp cloth.

Not necessarily. When the June 2009 “Recession Special” was released, I picked it up refurbed in August. All that really means is that these were machines bought, returned in the return window, and turned around and sold.

I don’t think 3 months is too surprising at all.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
While the 2019 keyboards feel better than the 2016-2018 keyboards, I still don’t trust them [and the keys still need more travel]. I won’t buy any Apple laptop at the moment regardless of price due to the inherent design flaw in the keyboard. Warranty or not, it is not worth the downtime to get the keyboard repaired when it fails.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Seems to me Apple refurbished is more or less brand new, anything else (brands) is just secondhand.

Any other refurbished besides from the Apple refurbished store is going to be like buying a used computer. A ding or two, scratch, and a battery with several cycles on it.

Not so with the Apple refurbs. They have brand new batteries, are pristine, come in like-new packaging and have the full like-new warranty.

There is absolutely no comparison to any other 'refurb' Apple products on the market.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Seems to me Apple refurbished is more or less brand new, anything else (brands) is just secondhand.
My iMac’s a refurb and it’s been phenomenal, 4.5 years in and still very much kicking. Only difference is a slight deformity in the enclosure along the top (it dips maybe a millimeter below the glass; tough to notice except by feeling it) and the box it came in being plain white instead of the printed boxes one gets with a new iMac. $500 off.
[doublepost=1566330684][/doublepost]
I bought my iMac refurbished about 3 months after the model was released.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
I'm sure people said the same thing about the Mid 2015 15' when it was released..... who knows what problems a new generation will bring.

But let's face it, the design problems of this current generation have been pretty spectacularly bad. I'm gonna be optimistic and say that Apple has learned their lesson. We may not see the return of MagSafe, but I have a feeling this upcoming generation of MacBook pros will be a marked improvement in a number of ways.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I think it seems surprising.

I haven't been keeping track, but I don't recall any recent Macs that were on the refurbished store less than 3 months after launch.

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
While the 2019 keyboards feel better than the 2016-2018 keyboards, I still don’t trust them [and the keys still need more travel]. I won’t buy any Apple laptop at the moment regardless of price due to the inherent design flaw in the keyboard. Warranty or not, it is not worth the downtime to get the keyboard repaired when it fails.

My sentiments exactly. I'm waiting for the soon to be released 2019 models and if their keyboards suck too then I'll just stick with what I've got.

Reactions: BigBoy2018

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
London
They were on the Uk refurb store yesterday. I expect the one I bought and rejected will be there soon. Couldn't get on withe the keyboard.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Not necessarily. When the June 2009 “Recession Special” was released, I picked it up refurbed in August. All that really means is that these were machines bought, returned in the return window, and turned around and sold.

The ipad pro's 2018 are still not on refurb store though and they've been out for nearly a year?

Reactions: Wide opeN

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
2019 iMacs were about 4 month this, the 2018 minis were inside of about 4 months, IIRC.
Still, it wasn't under three months.

But, I guess the amount of time in between Macs' launches and selling on the refurbished store, on average, appears to be decreasing over the past few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.