Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday updated its Apple Music for Artists app with some minor bug fixes and improvements, but also one other notable change -- a new icon.

apple-music-for-artists-new-icon.jpg
New icon on the right​

The Apple Music for Artists app now features a simpler, streamlined icon with a pinkish red music logo rather than the multicolored logo that was used before. The icon also has an embossed look that makes it stand out from other Apple icons.

Apple Music for Artists is an app that lets artists know how their music is performing across Apple Music, iTunes, and Shazam, so it's an app with a limited audience and the new icon may seem inconsequential, but it is similar to another app icon change that Apple introduced last year.

App Store Connect in October was updated with a refreshed icon that's similar to the Apple Music for Artists icon, which means Apple has now updated two app icons with this new design.

appstoreconnect.jpg
App Store Connect with old icon on left, new icon on right​

Over on Reddit, users are speculating that the icon changes could perhaps be indicative of more sweeping design changes set to be introduced in iOS 15.

Apple in macOS Big Sur refreshed many of its icons and streamlined their design, so there is a chance that something similar could happen in iOS 15. That said, these could just be one-off updates for Apple's behind the scenes apps for developers and musicians, and not a sign of something to come.

We don't know much at all about iOS 15 at this point, but we could perhaps see some details leaking out as the software's launch date approaches. Apple is expected to debut iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, tvOS 15, and macOS 12 at its keynote event that will be held on June 7.

Article Link: Apple's Revamped Apple Music for Artists Icon Leads to Speculation About iOS 15 Design Plans

Last edited:

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
I would like to see a drastic drop in saturation. It feels like PowerPuff Girl's UI. So tiering for my eyes.
I don't care for customization of the UI just to have the option at least to drop saturation on those Icons and remove the pure white dominating elements so that my eyes don't get tired so easily when in Light Mode.

ImSoSad

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
yeah, that ultra flat look from like early/mid-2010s is now borderline cringe.

tried way too hard to look ‘new and improved’ — and in 2021 it’s like looking at man bun.

the new style is a throwback to the ‘ugly on purpose’ early 00’s days which comes across now as humble, understated and self-aware.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
I would like to see a drastic drop in saturation. It feels like PowerPuff Girl's UI. So tiering for my eyes.
I don't care for customization of the UI just to have the option at least to drop saturation on those Icons and remove the pure white dominating elements so that my eyes don't get tired so easily when in Light Mode.
Why not just use dark mode?

Reactions: valleian

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004

Apple yesterday updated its Apple Music for Artists app with some minor bug fixes and improvements, but also one other notable change -- a new icon.

apple-music-for-artists-new-icon.jpg

New icon on the right

The Apple Music for Artists app now features a simpler, streamlined icon with a pinkish red music logo rather than the multicolored logo that was used before. The icon also has an embossed look that makes it stand out from other Apple icons.

Apple Music for Artists is an app that lets artists know how their music is performing across Apple Music, iTunes, and Shazam, so it's an app with a limited audience and the new icon may seem inconsequential, but it is similar to another app icon change that Apple introduced last year.

App Store Connect in October was updated with a refreshed icon that's similar to the Apple Music for Artists icon, which means Apple has now updated two app icons with this new design.

appstoreconnect.jpg

App Store Connect with old icon on left, new icon on right

Over on Reddit, users are speculating that the icon changes could perhaps be indicative of more sweeping design changes set to be introduced in iOS 15.

Apple in macOS Big Sur refreshed many of its icons and streamlined their design, so there is a chance that something similar could happen in iOS 15. That said, these could just be one-off updates for Apple's behind the scenes apps for developers and musicians, and not a sign of something to come.

We don't know much at all about iOS 15 at this point, but we could perhaps see some details leaking out as the software's launch date approaches. Apple is expected to debut iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, tvOS 15, and macOS 12 at its keynote event that will be held on June 7.

Article Link: Apple's Revamped Apple Music for Artists Icon Leads to Speculation About iOS 15 Design Plans
The Reddit link does not link to Reddit, it links to a previous news article here

Anson_431

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
My guess: they’re adopting dark mode for default app icons in iOS 15

Or, at least I hope they would be?

Reactions: Rychiar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.