Apple's Rumored 2018 6.1-Inch Lower-Cost iPhone With LCD Display Could Feature Metal Back

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

At least the notches have useful stuff in them: Facetime camera, dot projector, IR camera, proximity sensor, etc.

I think it's quite an improvement from all the wasted space in the old iPhone models. :p

[​IMG]

2. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

They should drop the price of the 5.8" to $899 and price the 6.5 (or whatever) OLED at $999

3. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Bring on the 6.3 or 6.5 OLED i phone X in Gold and I would gladly upgrade next year.

4. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

6.1" iPhone will be the best variant of 2018 as long as it retains having the A12 chip, same cameras, and has same amount of RAM as the X2 Plus.

Metal > Glass
    LCD > OLED

I don't care about wireless charging and OLED is overrated with a shorter lifespan than LCD. Apple didn't even utilize OLED to begin with like no Moto X Active Display or always on display.

Apple should call this 6.1" model the iPhone 9 because it's different enough from the 8 but similar to the X design with only the cheaper LCD and will lack wireless charging. The other two could be called X2 or Xs/10s.

It helps that it will be the cheapest of the trio. Why would I want another glass back phone that is expensive to repair? Glass is weaker than plastic. I don't use wireless charging. I have used OLED displays and it's overrated as curved displays. Don't fall for the Samsung propaganda.

iPhone 9
    iPhone Xs
    iPhone Xs Plus

The 9 is the winner to me. Best value that lacks overrated features like OLED and glass backs for wireless charging .

5. Act3 macrumors 68000

Maybe they will market durability as a feature with the metal back

nevermind, that would cut into profit

6. mobiletech, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

mobiletech macrumors member

Probably going to be the new ipod touch. It needs an update badly and they are killing the touch id real fast. Majority of ipod touch users are either kids or exclusive to a room/device where Qi charging is not needed or is a liability. The LCD and metal back also makes sense to keep the price in the range of the Ipod touch.

It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to make Qi charging a standard then taking it away in an updated iphone

7. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

It’s nice to see LCD finally dying and being used in low end models only.
    That’s where this ancient,inferior display technology belongs in this day and age..
    Once you see OLED it’s really hard to go back to washed-out LCD displays with dark grey instead of black..

8. chatin macrumors 6502a

chatin

I could go for one of those. Not fan on sky-high repair costs on all glass models.

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

I can almost guarantee it won’t have the same internals.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

11. Tgrey macrumors regular

why they don't make another one with ceramic back iPhone edition, to push the price to $3000 range?

12. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

At least it will be durable and I’m happy with my iPhone X won’t upgrade again till 2020

13. synergize macrumors regular

iPhone xs
    iPhone x
    iPhone xl
    iPhone xxl

Pay me via Apple Pay, Apple!

14. -BigMac- macrumors 68000

-BigMac-

Thats like saying i want an aventador engine in a motorbike.. haha

15. uller6 macrumors regular

uller6

No, liquidmeal is an amorphous metal alloy. It is still metal and will still prevent wireless charging.

16. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Apple, please don't nix the Touch ID on the SE and non-X form factor devices. Thank you.

17. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

Be careful what you wish for, it just might come true. The way they are priced now, no one believes Apple will lower the prices unless it's the low end iPhones; even those are pretty expensive now.

18. Act3 macrumors 68000

LCD isn't dying, what's the deal with laptop screens and desktop monitors?

19. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

6.1" will probably be about the same height as the Galaxy S7 edge at about 151 mm or 8 mm taller than the current X. It will be the middle sized iPhone.

I want a red Apple! Rojo!

[​IMG]

Needs to be black front and red metal back. Not that awful Project RED iPhone 7 which should have had a black front from the start.

The 6.1" iPhone is the value play of 2018. It's the iPhone 8 Plus where smart people know OLED is overrated. Wireless charging is overrated. Glass rears which are prone to shatter is overrated.

Keep getting duped by SAMSUNG propaganda. They are trying to make you believe glass rear is premium when it's more fragile than plastic. The Nokia 3310 and Nintendo Game Boy were made from hard plastic and were built like a tank.

OLED is another thing that Samsung wants to shove down our throats just like taller display, low bezel phones. This 6.1" is the one to get if you prefer longevity, durability, and better value.

20. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Why does no one at Apple listen to you? :( You have a great idea.

21. _mdavenport macrumors regular

_mdavenport

Agreed.

22. Act3 macrumors 68000

was eyeing 8+ but now tempted to keep my 6s for another year if I can wait and get a non glass ass end next year

23. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

My goodness the price of that bigger one would make me faint!

I just want an X now but really can't afford it, it's too crazy a purchase. Maybe a used one next November....

24. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

The SE2 might feature a glass back which could make the 6.1" iPhone (9) the only one released in 2018 to offer a metal back. I'm all for a metal back that will be cheaper to repair if damaged.

I thought Apple wouldn't return to metal since I figure they want to go all-wireless/port-less in 3-4 years. Glad I could be wrong and a metal back iPhone isn't completely buried yet.

For me, I take care of all my phones really well. I just don't like the feeling from a glass back phone. Tried it twice and never liked that feeling. Sticky within a day or two of smudges.

25. Syk macrumors 6502a

Really? I just got my X the other day and coming from a 6Plus. I was like wow this is small:eek:
    I have a minimal case on mine and was thinking maybe I need add a case that offers drop protection to make it a little bigger fitting in my hand

Guess everybody is different:)