Apple's Rumored 2018 6.1-Inch Lower-Cost iPhone With LCD Display Could Feature Metal Back

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    The arguments for higher quality sound are no different today than what I heard going back to the '70's, when some friends forked over big money on reel to reel tape players, Macintosh amps / tuners, high end turntables and giant floor standing speakers that they placed in over-insulated rooms just to get the best sound reproduction they could.

The same kind of people want the same experience today, but they're the minority, for all sorts of reasons good and bad.

As we've all become more mobile and can listen to music (or podcasts, videos, etc.) at almost any time using our iPhones, one thing to consider for those who think they want an expensive wired headphone set is - will they take the headphones with them when they're out and about? If the worry is they'll get damaged or stolen and end up stuck at home instead, then those headphones are actually limiting the ability to listen to music - which makes little sense. I suppose for some who can afford it, they'll buy one set that is good enough that they are ok with breaking or losing, and another for when they're home and want the full immersion experience, but again, scenarios like this are the exception not the rule.

2. dewski macrumors 6502

Agreed. The 5c was the best phone they ever made. I would take that in a second.

3. Jimrod, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

Jimrod macrumors 65816

But that was my point - Apple sell fewer small phones, but which small option do they offer with the latest tech? You're getting older design and features, if you want the latest tech you have to buy a big phone, so it's not a fair comparison. I'd happily spend $1000 on an SE sized X.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 ---
    I actually design Hi-Fi speakers often using my iPhone SE via Bluetooth (through a Bluesound Node2), it's convenient and sounds very good. I've often found the "higher tech" Samsung's don't sound as good even with aptX etc for whatever reason! Bluetooth 4.2 is fine really.

4. dewski macrumors 6502

I'd pay anything for a SE sized X model in plastic or metal.

5. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Would anyone buy an iPad with a glass back? Or a MacBook or any laptop for that matter with a glass lid? Hell to the no. So I don't understand the acceptance for glass rears on smartphones that has more drawbacks than benefits. Metal also dissipates heat better.

Metal vs Glass vs Plastic

This 6.1" iPhone is more intriguing than the SE2 which likely gets A10 and 2 GB RAM. Maybe Apple surprises us with A11 but unlikely. The og SE was a fluke to get A9. Had it been equipped with A8, then forget it.

As long as this 6.1" iPhone gets the same SoC as the OLED ones, it's worth it. If only equipped with A11, then I say pass like the SE2 with an 18 month old chip. I can be fairly indifferent with LCD vs OLED but I clearly will pick metal rears over glass rears any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

6. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I know that, but consumers will be confused. Why would a less expensive option have a larger screen? Where is the budget-friendly phone for people who don't want a phablet? The whole thing is a mess.

7. L-Viz macrumors regular

L-Viz

Wow, Great Apple! Great Timmy! Great Johnny!

Now after this, come up with a 10.8 premium iPhone. And a 11.7 low-cost iPhone. And after this, how about a 13.2 premium iPhone?

But never ever return back to 4, 4.5 or 5 inch. Nobody wants that.

NOT.

8. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

That has a chin for the display controller.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 ---
    Oh boy, you're really gonna get them now. You tell em man.

9. truettray macrumors 6502

truettray

I love the screen on the X. The resolution is noticeably higher than my 6 was... but I don't know if I could actually identify the difference between an LCD and OLED screen if they were side by side.

10. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

350$ for an SE.

11. yakapo macrumors regular

I’m looking forward to 2022

iPhone 12 Plus 7.5”

12. PickUrPoison macrumors 65816

The physical size of a bezelless 6.5 wouldn’t be any bigger than the 5.5 LCD Plus phones are right now. But I imagine it will be a two-handed phone for nearly all, unless you don’t mind using the reachability feature.

However, if most of their customers want a larger phone, Apple will likely make it. Just like if most buyers preferred a 4.0” phone, Apple would be focusing on that. But with the 5.5 iPhone 8 Plus now outselling the 4.7 regular 8, it’s just a fact that buyers now, more than ever, prefer larger phones.

Trends do reverse though, and the favorite size in a few years may be back to smaller phones... who knows?

13. Tech198 macrumors G5

6.1-inch... 6.3 ... climb that Apple ladder.

To be affordable, u gotta eliminate all the good stuff we like. right?

I think the naming: 6, 6Plus, 7, 7Plus ..... is safe to say the norm.

14. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are two of my favorite heavy metal bands of all-time. "Ride the Lightning" from Metallica is my favorite metal album ever. Not the slightly overrated "Master of Puppets" or the "Black Album" with sellout pop songs like "Unforgiven".

Wireless charging isn't even really wireless. It still needs to be attached to an outlet. If glass rears is supposed to offer unproven technology that isn't truly wireless in the first place, forget it. Metal-back 6.1" iPhone for me. Glass rears just makes me want listen to Black Sabbath's "Paranoid"..

I WANT METAL.
    [​IMG]

15. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

I'm OK with the metal back. I actually like metal, like @KingslayerG5 xD
    I'm not OK with the huge 6.1 inches.

Oh, c'mon Apple, make a 4.7 inch iPhone X.
    Just a bit smaller one.

16. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

The iPhone X is tall enough, just make the screen wider.

17. AgentAnonymous macrumors regular

AgentAnonymous

No.

18. superapplestar macrumors newbie

wow, you and your fragile masculinity

19. attilavago85 macrumors member

attilavago85

OMG! Really?!? Mind blown... Metal back! Can you imagine? Now this is what I call innovation...

20. I7guy macrumors G5

Maybe Apple should use cement next.

21. UKinEK macrumors regular

UKinEK

Obviously I am the only person who would like an iPhone X the size of iPhone 4.
    I have recently managed to hurt my wrist and could use 1 hand only for a few weeks. What an eye opener.
    Now I don’t want to use my 6s plus anymore and as I am not an extremely heavy user, the 4s size is best for reachability all over the screen

22. Macalicious2011, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502

I always find it funny to watch iPhone 4-5 users tilting their neck down and putting the phone inches away from phone to read text or view images.

Two months ago my girlfriend had to temporarily use our spare iPhone 5S and after one and a half days she couldn't cope with the smaller screen.

23. lwells1441 macrumors member

lwells1441

$10 says the 6.1 and 6.5" phones are marketed with an apple pencil.

24. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Hmmm, I do not have long fingers and I was able to use those gestures without issue. Interesting, thanks for the reply.

25. randyhudson macrumors regular

Wrong. Any metal that conducts electricity can't be used with induction charging.