Apple's Rumored 2018 6.1-Inch Lower-Cost iPhone With LCD Display Could Feature Metal Back

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

I know W1 has nothing to do with codecs, that was my point.

2. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

You said they want you tied into the W1. That doesn’t make any sense. Also, you brought in the W1 while ranting about codecs. So you both know that is has nothing to do with codecs but will bring it up in your rant about how terrible Apple is for not using your favorite codecs?

3. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

Two separate issues. The first is W1 which only works with a few devices Apple supports for easier connectivity / pairing. They do want me tied to W1 --if I buy their AirPods or Beats sets. I know it has nothing to do with audio quality except for maybe a stronger connection and therefore reliability.

The codecs issue is an issue if they want to completely push high quality wireless audio. Android O supports the HQ codecs out of the box.

4. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

But you don’t have to use their W1. Seriously. Unless you’re all in on the Apple ecosystem, there are headphones that have better sound, better battery, and cost less.

As for audio quality when it comes to codecs? Why not use FLAC or ALAC. Most people stream music these days, though, so they’re not going to benefit from those HQ codecs for the most part.

I don’t think any of the services have better than 24bit/96khz audio. And I doubt they’re going to be higher than 320kbps because of bandwidth on their end. Not many people would pay extra for higher quality streaming.

Edit: Not to mention that if you care about audio quality you’re likely sporting a wired set.

5. ryanasimov macrumors regular

That would be wonderful if it turns out to be true, but I've been hearing about Apple and Liquidmetal for YEARS with next to nothing in terms of rumors for its use as a body material. I believe they used Liquidmetal for the SIM extraction tool for a few iterations of the iPhone early on but nothing since then.

6. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

Oh I know I don't have to use it. I'm just annoyed that they are pushing W1 so they can sell more of their Pods or Beats products. Rather than pushing HQ BT audio or even supporting FLAC natively in iTunes for that matter. I did use ALAC on my iPhones when I had them. I agree with you there is zero benefit of HQ BT codecs when streaming. But they are useful if people want to play ALAC / FLAC music wirelessly, or stream 24 bit audio. Tidal I know has this option. Much of it is placebo effect too, I realize, but there are many people who can easily tell the difference.

7. Paleworm macrumors newbie

Paleworm

Because I know Apple does their research and doesn’t create lineups on a whim, I would love for this comment to get a billion likes (or whatever crazy number is needed to establish a viable market interest). Also, if you like a big phone, please stop. You are the problem. ;)

8. oldwatery macrumors 6502a

How about an old fashioned....COMPUTER Apple instead of thesis stupid over sized and priced phones???????????
    Oh yes...I forgot...that's what you sell now :-(

9. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

The new 4" SE2 built in India will be coming out in March 2018! It will continue the tradition of being Apple's "budget friendly" iPhone for people who cannot afford a regular iPhone.

10. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

There are some people who can hear the difference, sure. But I’d recommend a wired set to them over any quality BT any and every day. If you spend 100$ on a wired and wireless headset, the wired is going to be better no matter how good BT codecs get.

BTW, it’s weird that iTunes doesn’t support FLAC when iOS 11 does.

11. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Ceramic!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 ---
    Apple only releases larger and larger phones each year because more content from the iTunes Store is consumed. This is purely a business decision by Apple and has nothing to do with customer interests, wants or needs.

Ideally I would like a device screen that is around credit card size. For me anything larger than that is excessive and pointless.

Larger device screens encourage developers to create interfaces that are bloated and complex that don’t serve the user well. With smaller screens, developers are forced to really think about what’s important in an interface and create beautifully tuned and optimised interfaces.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 ---
    NO MORE iPHONE 5 DERIVATIVES!
    Something original in a small form factor made for the budget please!!!!!

12. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I doubt they’re going to make a 3.5 inch device. There’s not much of a market there. If there was, they’d have stayed there.

13. 78Bandit macrumors 6502

78Bandit

I'm waiting to see what features they cut in making the 6.1" LCD phone for $700. I don't think a whole lot of people are going to spend $300 - $400 more just to get an AMOLED display, so I'm betting other things will get the ax as well. Will they carry over the A11 chipset into the new phone or will they go even further down and go with a version of the A10? 32GB of storage and 2GB RAM? Downgraded camera?

It will be interesting to see if Apple basically cripples the phone to justify the continued high price of the new AMOLED models. $700 is flagship phone money.

14. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

I think the market is there. 3.5/4. Ultra compact would be good. No rehashed designs.

15. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Not sure it's Apple's issue, but rather what the vast majority of consumers care (they don't) about sound quality. But my point was really that there are good sounding BT headphones on the market, with some that actually sound better than many cheap wired headphones. I've got a Plantronics set with AptX and when paired to my rMBP, sound fantastic - but they sound great even when traveling and paired to my iPhone or iPad.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

4” I could see. Take the SE and remove bezel. Add notch for FaceID.

How much would you pay for an X version of the SE?

17. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

No notch, no plastic, curved but no rounded sides (they just add bulk), but you're certainly on track.
    $199.
    [​IMG]

18. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

What is running that 199$ phone?

19. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

At least a10. by next year, a10 will be extra old.

20. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502

Deacon-Blues

I'll take that 6.1" LCD version. Perfect size, and I actually prefer LCD to OLED due to burn-in issues. LCD lasts forever.

21. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

maybe it could be an iPod touch with cellular.
    At least a10. by next year, a10 will be extra old.

22. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Wouldn’t hold my breath on that one.

23. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Why would the more affordable model be so large? This lineup makes no sense.

24. Baymowe335 macrumors 68000

That is just totally false. There are tons of iPhone 6 and 6s that are still in use. Android NEVER sends out updates. I owned a note 4 for 3 years and never changed the OS from what it was shipped with despite there being glaring security bugs and entire functions that didn’t work. I couldn’t even use the functions in the S pen.

25. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

OLED is expensive right now.