Apple's Rumored 2018 6.1-Inch Lower-Cost iPhone With LCD Display Could Feature Metal Back

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MedRed macrumors member

MedRed

That absolutely sucks. I was very happy that the X was shrinking the physical dimensions of the phone. For me, I don't want the biggest screen possible. I want a big enough screen. The X solves that without being unwieldy. The Plus didn't fit a lot of places comfortably (back pockets, front pockets, cup holders, etc.) It also isn't easy to use one handed. I could understand Apple wanting to sell the most expensive phone for more profit IF there wasn't an accompanying usability issue as well.

2. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

A scaled-down iPhone X would be perfect for me. Current one just seems a bit too big - difficult to reach controls near the top of the top of the screen, etc.

Something that is iPhone 6 sized, or slightly smaller, but with the edge to edge screen would be amazing!

I really love the swipe-home gesture, however! Hopefully they'll implement it on all new devices.

3. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Dropping wireless charging would be a pullback (the 8's have it) and it is useful for alot of people - hopefully that doesn't pan out - otherwise I'm all in for the LCD model.

Always and never aren't very good words to use when it comes to Apple's features and choices in the future (based on history).

4. scott911 macrumors 6502a

I've paid the price ( literally) a few times with apple's type/design preferences being more important to them than functionality and durability.

I completely welcome the use of more durable materials, better water proofing, etc. as an option for me, and especially the kids I buy phones for.

5. Supermacguy macrumors 6502

I'll keep buying the SE, if they upgrade it again, WITH TOUCH ID and I don't really care about face ID. Plus the benefit of no notch, and square screen corners is a plus for me.

6. dewski macrumors 6502

Once you spend a day with an SE , you forget about the bigger screen.

7. ChrisCW11 macrumors 6502a

Why would Apple make a cheaper Full screen iPhone when the X is all the rage today. Doesn't make sense for Apple to bring value to something with their biggest competitive feature.

I don't think Apple will want to lower profit margins on there flagship design of phone for a few years yet.

I also don't think Apple will port iOS to an x86 based CPU at all, definitely not within the next year, and why a new CPU when all Apple has to do is polish up a previous A generation of their own CPU design?

Nothing about this makes much sense. Apple will most likely offer a modified 8-esque style phone without Touch ID home button which will stretch the screen out a bit, but it won't look like the iPhone X design at all and offer this as their "value" phone, meaning only $150 cheaper then the iPhone XI

8. geta, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

geta macrumors 6502a

If it's true that the smallest phone Apple will offer would be 5.8” and nothing in the range of 4-5" its gonna be a sad day for many people... not everyone wants to carry 6-7" Phablets in their pockets.

PS, Apple used to be the shepherd while Jobs was running the show, but lately they become another sheep in the crowd...

9. nt5672 macrumors 65816

Apple used to lead in design, now they accept bad design just so they don't look like another company's copy of Apple product.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 ---
    A lot people don't want a budget phone, we want a full featured, full capability small phone in the form factor of or near the SE. Not to hard to understand, but it is just too much work for Apple when they can throw a pile of crap in a large case and fan boys and girls will ogle all over it.

Apple can't care to make a decent size notebook it has to be the smallest, thinnest piece of crap possible, but on phones they want to largest they can fill with fancy features like animojies. Something has gone off the track at Apple.

10. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Just "Dowgraded" from a 7 plus to an SE last month so I'll keep that phone a couple of years the A9 is a tuff bird especially for an SE, an upgraded model with an A10 would'nt do much more than what i have now, they are more than enough muscle for that phone

11. mikecorp macrumors 6502

mikecorp

I would stick with Retina LCD, in iphone 5s format.
    Agree with you. Last time I wrote similar complaint this I got banned for a 2 days from Macrumors ;) I believe Tim is at fault, Steve was kicking a$$ before and people made the best product, now Tim is ................ and we have a problem. Bad, software, bad products and prices went up for no reason.

12. curtvaughan macrumors 6502

curtvaughan

If they brought the jack back and retained touch ID, this is the model I'd buy to replace my 6S+. I could have iOS, durability, sound interface of my choice, and cloud/message/handoff with my iMac and iPad - and at a reasonable price. As it is, I'll likely just replace the battery in my 6S+ and hang onto it another year. I'll also probably get a new iMac for a nostalgic Apple fix/upgrade.

13. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

The iPhone X should have had liquid metal as opposed to glass, the cost is high so unlikely to be a base model’s back material. It would seem more probable to have the next X model liquid metal and the base to be glass.

14. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Because that's what the market actually wants. Note that that "market" is in Asia, as that is where the growth is. People want larger screens in Asia as they enjoy consuming content when they're out and about (eg. during commute in public transport). The success of the Galaxy Note line, and the fact that plus model iPhone is not outselling the non-plus version can't be denied. Luckily, looks like Apple still has a bit of care on smaller phones.

15. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Metal rears - 7
    2G
    5s
    6s
    SE

Glass rears - 4
    4s
    X

Plastic rears - 3
    3G
    3Gs
    5c

Metal > "Matte" Plastic > Glass

My Top 3 favorite iPhone designs all have metal rears. Doesn't show fingerprints so easily or get sticky over time with the oil in our fingertips.

1. 5s/SE, space gray
    2. 2G
    3. 7, matte black

I used to love the 4 design but started to hate it once I realized I prefer a naked phone and Sony, Huawei, and Samsung started using glass rears on their phones.

Another $500+ to repair? Hell to the NO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Then better enjoy the current SE while it lasts. Apple has stated that the X form factor and FaceID are what they use on their future phones. The 2GB RAM on the SE will help its longevity.

17. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Yeah and apple will bring back both touch id and headphone jack and each size will come in 10 different colors for us to select from.

18. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Makes sense since they are still making metal backed phones anyway.

19. UL2RA Suspended

I can use it one-handed because of the taller screen. It's about the same size as the Plus screen without the wideness and it works really well. The Plus I can't even hold. But I have long thumbs so maybe that helps.

20. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

If Apple cared about Bluetooth sound quality they would pay for rights to allow AptX HD and LDAC on iPhones. But they don't care and want people to buy into their W1 proprietary crap. While still supporting only SBC and AAC Bluetooth codecs (I only know of 2 headphones that support AAC). They will likely ditch Qualcomm too, so these things will never be added to iPhones.

21. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

The Plus models outsell the normal sized models of iPhone according to most analysts.

Yeah. Because I said nobody buys smaller phones. Wait, no, I said fewer people do.
    W1 has nothing to do with codecs.

22. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

[​IMG]

The 6.5" iPhone will probably be about the same height as the Note8 with a 6.3" display but without much top and bottom bezel. The 6.1" iPhone will be about the height as the Note7 which has a 5.7" display.

Metal Jesus Rocks so does metal!

Flagships that featured all-glass rears in 2017 -

Apple iPhone 8
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus
    Apple iPhone X
    HTC U11
    Huawei Mate 10
    Huawei Mate 10 Pro
    LG G6
    LG V30
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Samsung Galaxy Note8

Not all-glass rears (but partially like the iPhone 5 series) -

Google Pixel 2
    Google Pixel 2 XL

Metal rears / matte plastic -

Motorola Moto Z2 Force
    OnePlus 5
    OnePlus 5T
    Sony XZ Premium
    Sony Xperia XZ1

Essential Phone is technically ceramic but gets smudges like glass does. Hope to see more metal rears returning as it's becoming a dying breed.

23. wigby macrumors 65816

The problem with the current X size is that the swipe up 'home' button gesture and swipe down for notifications and control center cannot be done by the same thumb holding the phone the same way. I got used to the plus size juggling of the phone but the smaller footprint of X was supposed to bring back simple one handed phone use again. So either Apple has to adjust the gestures so they don't require swipes all the way from the top or make the phone a but smaller.

24. kstotlani macrumors 6502

Pro-motion. My God it took me a while to understand what you said.

25. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Exactly why a +6" screen on phone sounds so stupid..... we need a reverse of the super small phone trend that died (super big phone trend needs to die)