Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's widely rumored Siri-based smart speaker and home hub has an "over 50 percent chance" of being announced at WWDC, scheduled for June 5-9, according to often-reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities.

siri-smart-speaker.jpg
The device is rumored to have a "Mac Pro-like" concave design (Image: iFunnyVlogger)

Kuo said Apple's smart home product will likely launch in the second half of 2017 and cost more than the Amazon Echo, $179. The device will supposedly support AirPlay with "excellent acoustics performance" from one woofer and seven tweeters. Kuo said its performance will be similar to the iPhone 6/6s.

An excerpt from Kuo's research note obtained by MacRumors:
We believe there is an over 50% chance that Apple will announce its first home AI product at WWDC in June and start selling in the [second half of 2017] in order to compete with the new Amazon Echo models to be launched [...]

We expect Apple's first home AI product will have excellent acoustics performance (one woofer + seven tweeters) and computing power (similar to iPhone 6/6S AP). Therefore the product is likely to be positioned for: (i) the high-end market; (ii) better entertainment experience; and (iii) higher price than Amazon Echo.
Last week, leaker Sonny Dickson likewise said Apple's smart speaker could be announced as early as WWDC. He said the device will run a variation of iOS with unspecified Beats technology, in addition to a Mac Pro-like concave top with built-in controls and speaker meshing covering the majority of its surface.

Apple's plans for a smart home device and Amazon Echo competitor were first revealed by The Information in May 2016, and Bloomberg reported that the device had entered prototype testing in September.

The latter report said Apple's smart home device would be able to control appliances, locks, lights, and curtains through Siri voice commands. It added that some of the prototypes in testing have facial recognition sensors, in line with a CNET report claiming the device could have a built-in camera.

Kuo said Taiwan-based Inventec will be the exclusive speaker supplier, including both the woofer and tweeters.

Article Link: Apple's Siri-Based Smart Speaker Has 'Over 50% Chance' of Debuting at WWDC in June

Reactions: izyreal

nlawson1

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
I have Google and Echo... I seriously doubt I would fork over more money for something that will only work half as good as these two - and I'm basing that on the current software capabilities.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
OK, so the trash can style will become the next generation evolved from the rounded-rectangle style?

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
What's that? Like, what's an Amazon Echo and what real-life use and benefits does it provide? What problems does it aim to solve? Thanks!

For me, home control with HomeKit.
"Hey Siri, set the mood".
*Dims living room lights, plays Close the Door by Teddy Pendergrass*

My hope would be Apple would offload some geofencing type duties to it, e.g. Do X when it no longer detects my iPhone for 5 minutes, do Y when it detect my iPhone in the evening when I've come home, etc.

deaddog

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
I'm sure negative comments will abound, but I am actually looking forward to this. If for nothing else but to have a single "assistant"

For families and WAF alone, trying to get them to realize you need to ask the right "person" isn't very appealing. Alexa? OK Google? or whatever else. They all know Siri so it's just easier honestly.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
I am not trying to troll but this seems kind of silly to me because I can just say "hey Siri" and my phone will come to life and answer what I need. I don't know why this would make any sense at all. If someone could explain why this would be different from "hey Siri" on an iPhone, I might change my mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.