Apple's Siri-Based Smart Speaker Has 'Over 50% Chance' of Debuting at WWDC in June

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's widely rumored Siri-based smart speaker and home hub has an "over 50 percent chance" of being announced at WWDC, scheduled for June 5-9, according to often-reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities.

[​IMG]
    The device is rumored to have a "Mac Pro-like" concave design (Image: iFunnyVlogger)

Kuo said Apple's smart home product will likely launch in the second half of 2017 and cost more than the Amazon Echo, $179. The device will supposedly support AirPlay with "excellent acoustics performance" from one woofer and seven tweeters. Kuo said its performance will be similar to the iPhone 6/6s.

An excerpt from Kuo's research note obtained by MacRumors:
    Last week, leaker Sonny Dickson likewise said Apple's smart speaker could be announced as early as WWDC. He said the device will run a variation of iOS with unspecified Beats technology, in addition to a Mac Pro-like concave top with built-in controls and speaker meshing covering the majority of its surface.

Apple's plans for a smart home device and Amazon Echo competitor were first revealed by The Information in May 2016, and Bloomberg reported that the device had entered prototype testing in September.

The latter report said Apple's smart home device would be able to control appliances, locks, lights, and curtains through Siri voice commands. It added that some of the prototypes in testing have facial recognition sensors, in line with a CNET report claiming the device could have a built-in camera.

Kuo said Taiwan-based Inventec will be the exclusive speaker supplier, including both the woofer and tweeters.

Article Link: Apple's Siri-Based Smart Speaker Has 'Over 50% Chance' of Debuting at WWDC in June

2. StrangeNoises macrumors member

StrangeNoises

3. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Please Apple, don't release any Siri hardware without fixing the software first.

4. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

Makes sense if there's some APIs in iOS 11 that they want Devs to be ready for. Probably ship it in September.

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

beat me too it, and I think this idea has some merit.

6. lamunkya macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure "Siri-Based Smart Speaker" is an oxymoron

7. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

8. izyreal macrumors member

This confirms the new Mac Pro! They are planning to re-purpose all the old trash-can bodies for speakers!

9. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

What's that? Like, what's an Amazon Echo and what real-life use and benefits does it provide? What problems does it aim to solve? Thanks!

10. nlawson1 macrumors newbie

I have Google and Echo... I seriously doubt I would fork over more money for something that will only work half as good as these two - and I'm basing that on the current software capabilities.

11. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

WatchFromAfar

Does that mean there's a 49% chance of it not debuting at WWDC in June?

12. Xavier macrumors 68020

13. AJ5790 macrumors regular

Enough courage to actually make money. What a concept for a business.

14. Dave245 macrumors 601

But what will it do differently from Amazon's Echo? I'm an Apple fan but what can they bring different to the table?

15. Naraxus macrumors 6502

Naraxus

Yeah no. Until Apple gets rid of its asinine privacy policy and stops neutering Siri then maybe this will be useful for more than just "Set a reminder" commands.

I'll take an Echo over this any day.

16. sza macrumors 6502

OK, so the trash can style will become the next generation evolved from the rounded-rectangle style?

17. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

18. fh-ace macrumors newbie

If only Apple and IBM would let Siri and Watson get married... lol

19. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

"Hey Siri, add Spam and eggs to my shopping list"

"OK, the nearest fertility clinic is on Maple Avenue."

20. imicca macrumors member

imicca

Apple is a bit too late to the party...but maybe they'll do it the better way?

21. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

For me, home control with HomeKit.
    "Hey Siri, set the mood".
    *Dims living room lights, plays Close the Door by Teddy Pendergrass*

My hope would be Apple would offload some geofencing type duties to it, e.g. Do X when it no longer detects my iPhone for 5 minutes, do Y when it detect my iPhone in the evening when I've come home, etc.

22. AJ5790 macrumors regular

That's usually how percentages work, yes.

23. deaddog macrumors member

I'm sure negative comments will abound, but I am actually looking forward to this. If for nothing else but to have a single "assistant"

For families and WAF alone, trying to get them to realize you need to ask the right "person" isn't very appealing. Alexa? OK Google? or whatever else. They all know Siri so it's just easier honestly.

24. xalea macrumors regular

xalea

I can't imagine Siri working at this level. I have an Echo and it's amazingly accurate and fast. Siri is just a train wreck.

25. CaryMacGuy macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

I am not trying to troll but this seems kind of silly to me because I can just say "hey Siri" and my phone will come to life and answer what I need. I don't know why this would make any sense at all. If someone could explain why this would be different from "hey Siri" on an iPhone, I might change my mind.