MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A financial analyst at UBS Investment Research publishes his outlook for Apple's product line in 2008 and 2009, as reported by AppleInsider.

The analyst Maynard Um also cites "industry checks" to confirm that the MacBook and iPod will see updates later this year. Both Apple notebook and iPod updates have been widely expected in the coming months with some signs pointing to a September launch.

Um also claims there will be a "first half of 2009" launch of the a Mac "sub-notebook". Talk of an Apple sub-notebook has died down since the release of the MacBook Air, which has partially filled that need in Apple's product line. However, there remains a small but vocal group of individuals who want Apple to release a true sub-notebook with screen sizes smaller than the 13" screen that the MacBook Air houses. Um believes another "sub-notebook" was originally intended for launch in 2008 but has been delayed until 2009.

Finally, the analyst points to additional iPhone colors to be launched in time for this year's holiday season as well as a brand new iPhone in the first half of 2009.

Article Link

bmh16

macrumors regular
May 5, 2008
South Wales, UK
Believing the stuff about the iphone. It had better happen. I really want it, but only on PAYG !! The current one isn't quite good enough for me. 32Gb and a better camera and i'm sold straight away and new colours could be cool!

Comment

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
I think Apple would want to avoid flooding the market with small laptops, when they could milk this new AlMacbook, and then unleash a smaller sub in early 09. They don't want to compete with their own products. Not sure how similar they would be, and what price point for the new sub, but it could be a reason for the delay.

Comment

StuartCH

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Sunderland, UK
Sub-NoteBook??

EeeMac anyone? :rolleyes:
Wouldn't this make the Sales of the MacBook Air Go Down Extremely?
:apple: Just Couldn't Pull that off.
or could this be That Mac Tablet Nobody need's?

either way, it'll ruin MacBook Air Sales.

Stuart

Comment

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
EeeMac anyone? :rolleyes:
Wouldn't this make the Sales of the MacBook Air Go Down Extremely?
:apple: Just Couldn't Pull that off.
or could this be That Mac Tablet Nobody need's?

either way, it'll ruin MacBook Air Sales.

Stuart

Not really...

The MacBook "Air" is really a Light-Note (a lighter version of the MacBook).

A "Sub-Note" is a notebook with a screen size of 12" or smaller....

Comment

yvonnejim

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
What's the difference between "price point" and "price" ? For that matter, how about "size and shape" and "form factor" ?

Fail.

I think Apple would want to avoid flooding the market with small laptops, when they could milk this new AlMacbook, and then unleash a smaller sub in early 09. They don't want to compete with their own products. Not sure how similar they would be, and what price point for the new sub, but it could be a reason for the delay.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Previous rumors anticipated the iPhone 3G in black, white, and Product RED. Sounds plausible that red (and maybe others) would come later this year, once this initial launch rush is past.

I wanted red first, white second, and didn't want black. Until I saw them. Now I'm choosing black--I like the back and front matching.

Comment

ra noodle

Mar 14, 2008
its been said before by many.......that Jobs should have taken the PB12" powerbook as the basic idea and turned that into a MBP 12" and or a MBA 12"....I still have my PB12", it works OK, eventually I hope to call on OWC for a bigger HD etc.....so many expressed this idea and Jobs ignored all of us and instead rushed out a half finished OSX and called this mess Leopard--sure many computer savvy were able to work theirs out and I am glad they could but too many are STILL having problems that this high and mighty Jobs still hasn't addressed and what do I read in macrumors that his Highness Jobs apologizes for MobileMe goofups yet he refuses so far to acknowledge the difficulty Leopard has been for a lot of people....and this is half the reason I will go no further than Tiger 10.4.11 using iWork6 and iLife6 as people have been having problems with iWork8 and iLife8 also. I am not adept with a computer....the times I have driven to the Apple store nearest me with what were problems for me--and they have been a fantastic bunch (Old Orchard)....but so many wanted and hoped for a re-worked PB12" and Jobs BLEW IT BIG TIME IN NOT MAKING A MBP12" AND MAKING 100% SURE LEOPARD WORKED BEFORE RELEASING IT.

Comment

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
What's the difference between "price point" and "price" ? For that matter, how about "size and shape" and "form factor" ?

In general... nothing in favor of your quote:
Price point: a range of prices
Price: the final price or MRP

Size and Shape: Describing the dimensions and relativity to its contemporary classes.
Form factor: The dimensional category in to which the item falls! eg: portable, ultra portable!

Comment

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
Not really...

The MacBook "Air" is really a Light-Note (a lighter version of the MacBook).

A "Sub-Note" is a notebook with a screen size of 12" or smaller....

Exactly. And don't think for a second that Apple will release the "sub/tablet/pad" in a way that competes or steals from anything else in the line. I am sure, like everything else Apple seems to put out these days, it will be very cool, very beautiful and very underpowered for the price.

And I really don't care about a colored iPhone. I'm keeping this original iPhone until they come out with a 64GB model.

Comment

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA

Price point is an area in which it will be/is priced. Take for example a sub-$1,000 notebook. It's price point is under $1,000. It's price is $999.

Form factor is what it looks like and is. A notebook, is in the form factor of a laptop. Same with desktop and all in ones. Size and shape is how big it is. Take the MacBook Pro as an example. It's form factor is a notebook. It's size and shape will vary between the 15inch and 17inch

Comment

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Honestly-- if this comes as a surprise to anybody, they should read back to every single thrilling product expectation we have ever had... Almost all of them have been "pushed back" into the next year.

Lame.

Comment

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Um...

Um, Mr. Um?... (Ha! I kill me!)... Can we assume that "sub-notebook" may be a term that in this case is interchangeable with "tablet"? Or is Maynard indeed being precise and specific about an official sub-notebook product = a laptop with a 12" or smaller screen?

Comment

mxelre

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Quebec
iPhone color!? Does that mean colored anodized aluminum, or they'll simply change the color of the present 3G iPhone? I'd like to see aluminum back once again I think it looked amazing.

Comment

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
"We think the Apple 'experience', driven by its ownership of the entire software ecosystem, creates a “sticky” user base that drives recurring hardware revenue," the analyst explains. "Those accustomed to Apple’s 'ease of use' and interfaces are unlikely to purchase a Microsoft-based PC. Rather, we believe these users will be more inclined to purchase another Mac when it’s time for an upgrade, which, in essence, creates a recurring hardware venue for Apple."

Duh.

No wonder our economy is in such sad shape, if "analysts" are only figuring out basic stuff like this 20 years after the fact.

Comment

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
A new iPhone in the first half of 09!?!?

It better be the iPhone nano or some other "minor" revision..

I know! I'm JUST warming up to the idea of buying the iPhone3G and don't want to screw myself. :) if there are new colors or hell, a NEW iPhone (32GB anyone?) then maybe I should wait. My current iPhone is working nicely. :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.