Apple's Tim Cook and More Than 100 CEOs Urge Congress to Protect Dreamers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

No, not really. I’m glad to know that more folks are on my side than not, especially since weaselboy keeps moderating my posts. This way I don’t have to say anything!

Loving the support for our own constituents. Too many handouts...

2. apolloa macrumors G4

That’s alright Cook, your hypocrisy in this will no doubt be paid in full when later this year congress ‘urges’, you and your company to stop ripping your customers off over planned obsolescence...

3. e-coli, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Do we know each other? No. So dispense with the name-calling. I'm far from naïve.

As for the rest of your nonsensical tirade...was there an overall point you were trying to make?

4. xalea macrumors regular

xalea

More political pandering by Apple for no reason. Meanwhile they sit on top of a mountain of cash, but expect American taxpayers to continuously support illegal immigrants and their offspring into perpetuity.

5. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

6. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

It is unfortunate that their parents broke the law, but why not support immigration reforms that will keep these parents from coming over illegally so we don't have to do this again?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    How did they get here?

7. GuruZac macrumors 6502

GuruZac

I didn’t say anything deporting. But if all you have to do is cross America’s borders illegally to have all the rights of a legal citizen, then we have no law, no borders, no country.

8. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Really?!?! You cant be serious.

9. RickInHouston, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Tim has lost ALL political sway now that the government is looking into Apple's manipulation of phones (CPU throttling).

Uh oh. Update... Timmy is fighting back. Says apple is suspending battery replacement program for a few months. Batteries / DACA / Congressional inquiry. This is getting ugly (and political) quickly!

10. magbarn macrumors 68000

You mean how too many on left (currently - as the right did the same stupid crap in the 80's) want to do to this AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.
    Everything the US has done in the last 30-40 years with the exception of the last year has been about encouraging illegal immigration and if they make it too easy on the current batch of illegals, you're going to end up with the exact same problem again in 10-15 years with the same line again: "These poor 15 year old kids were brought over with no fault of their own so we should give them amnesty again..."

Too bad for those other useful idiots who waited in line for over a decade to come in legally...

11. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

But you can't allow free immigration into the USA forever.

12. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Tim, how about a statement apple throttling iPhones . Enough of this SJW BS when you don't even address the issues that your fans are facing.

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

THIS is the point that needs to be made. The press has tried to make Trump out to be Satan over it when really he's just been trying to get Congress to finally do the job it's put off for far too long. I've been in turns bemused, amused, infuriated and appalled by Trump, but in this, he gets my respect.

14. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

The left has a convenient way of making "illegal immigration" and "immigration" synonyms and they are not. There is a process for legal immigration and the USA is made up of immigrants. It is something to be proud of. The legal immigration process, and path to citizenship has requirements.

Name calling doesn't really help you make your argument.

There are consequences for breaking the law, and yes... children sometimes suffer consequences of parents making dumb and illegal decisions. But that aside, I believe the matter is in the hands of congress to decide if they are going to legally change a process that the prior president didn't properly take through congress... so that is what created this mess.

The reality is that DACA was supposed to be a "deferral", not a waiver. It gave those illegals who were brought here as a child 2 years to get legal. Good in theory, but typically when you try to give things away to people that haven't taken steps to earn it (and becoming a legal citizen of the USA is something that should be earned, or it has no value), and who feel entitled, it usually backfires.

Based on the graphic below, you will find that a small percentage of the people in DACA have actually taken the steps to become legal within the 2 years that they were given to do so. So DACA is a total failure, buy this chart alone. If this had worked, then you'd have fewer than 100,000 even in DACA anymore, because the rest would have had time to get legal. In my opinion, there should be no renewals. If someone is given 2 YEARS to go through the legal process and they've not done it, then they are not serious about becoming a legal citizen of the US and shouldn't be here. That might actually create an incentive to change behavior.

upload_2018-1-11_8-28-41.png

15. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Stop calling them Dreamers, they are 2nd wave illegal immigrants.

16. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Straight and to the point. Best comment yet.

17. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Are immigrants a race now?

I love when this comes up, because I am an immigrant except that I came here legally and still and a permanent US resident. People who make the argument “America is made up of immigrants” seem to always assume that means all immigrants are equal. There are those of us who obey the law and those who ignore it and get protected for it.

18. Jsameds macrumors 68040

19. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Apple is quick to comment here but slow to non existent to comment in China.

20. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

How did a child born in the US break the law?

21. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

Have you read his comment, hi only said that immigrants are responsible for quality drop...this is pre-WW2 stuff, we are close to the concept of humans and sub-humans.

In regards of your topics, egoistically I'm fine with the restriction, this means more investement in foreign countries.
    I'm glad I can work in europe in a top 5 fortune 500 it company now, a much higher rateo of salary/living cost and social services.

Keep pushing guys! If China has manufacturing I guess we will be happy to take ops and R&D

22. supercoolmanchu macrumors regular

supercoolmanchu

Apple has very prominent holes in their product ecosystem.
    Apple has been slipping on security issues recently.

Tim Cook is not performing up to par on his primary responsibility. He's spent a lot of Apple PR time and money on Washington political partisanship and useless Hollywood celebrity hires.

He's either rudderless or bored. Either are fine reasons for an early retirement.

23. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Nope. Apple has truly gone the way of stupidity. Tim Cook, the vaunted supply chain guy, can't even get products to the market in a reasonable time because he's too busy virtue signaling to every cause that gets him hot and bothered, hanging out with second rate music acts, and setting himself up for a cushy retirement at the expense of the customer.

Stop supporting stupid causes and start at least pretending you are a big boy and run your company.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---

You are 100% right.

24. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Ah, right. That makes it MUCH better. :rolleyes:

25. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Well yes, since one isn't breaking the law and the other is.

Next thing you know you'll be telling me I can't bash criminals because they are humans also.