Apple's Tim Cook and More Than 100 CEOs Urge Congress to Protect Dreamers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. RogueWarrior65 macrumors regular

So, if my parents rob a bank and give the money to me, I get to keep it all, right?

2. citysnaps, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

citysnaps macrumors 68040

Hat tip to Mr. Cook! Thank you for weighing in on this.

I wonder if the people here trashing him on this are similarly trashing the other 100+ tech CEOs taking the same position?

Sure is a lot of hate here...

3. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

You, sir, should take a break from bashing anyone and turn your gaze inward.

4. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

He married a white, fashion model immigrant. Twice. Melanie’s expiry date is coming up soon, so I’m sure he’s looking for the next Mrs Trump.

5. jwhitnah macrumors regular

jwhitnah

Dear Tim - Please keep out of politics. Instead, complete work on the mini and Mac Pro, or pay your taxes. I buy your products because I like them, not because of your political positions.

6. sterlingindigo macrumors 6502

sterlingindigo

If I rob a bank or build a huge ponzi scheme and gift my illgotten gains to my children, you can better believe that when I get caught, they’ll have to surrender the money, or the houses and boats that they bought.

7. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Oh so white people are not acceptable immigrants? But illegal ones are? Huh? o_O

8. norbinhouston macrumors regular

That's not what "Dreamers" are. If you are going to try and join a discourse at least know what you are arguing. Children born in the US are automatically US citizens, so they can't be deported.

And yes, "Dreamers" are illegally here, as where their parents. I live in Houston, so I see both the positives and negatives of illegal immigration. For example, our sky high education taxes, so that we can support bi-lingual education for the illegal immigrants. And lower cost of living, because of cheap labor. I'm not against immigration, as most people are also not, but we are against immigrants that don't go through the proper channels and thus puts a burden on our society.

But what is Tim Cook supposed to say, he doesn't want a witch hunt against Apple.

9. doctor-don macrumors 65816

Whether he signs it remains to be seen - he talks much but does little.
    Me don't trust paleface who speak with forked tongue.

10. marty11 macrumors 6502

Please don't look to people like Tim Cook and Elon Musk, et al for political guidance. These people are some of the greatest ethical hypocrites in the history of mankind.

11. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

Mo money - mo control over the government. Which also means: less money - less say.

12. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Tough questions for Congress, but they are overdue. Deporting is cruel, especially for those who have jobs and have not gotten into trouble. The parents and the kids should go through the regular immigration procedures that immigrants who come here legally have to, but put them at the back of the line. The DACA and DAPA people should not get any priorities over those immigrants who are already going through the proper procedures to become LEGAL immigrants.

I hope Congress handles this issue in a comprehensive way, including ending chain migration, ending funding for so-called sanctuary cities, and increased border security. It's well past time to do so.

13. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

I am so praud. Are you a member of Progressive Research on Architecture, Urbanism and Design.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    The problem is the left wants them all here, criminals and these that are good. They just want votes.

14. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

There needs to be some kind of fine, otherwise all of us legal immigrants are basically punished for not being illegal. Doesn't have to be a huge fine, just the cost of legal immigration + some interest and it can be spread out over a few years.

15. mactactic macrumors regular

mactactic

16. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

Federal court has said ending the Dreamer act is ILLEGAL by Trump.....as is his other bans....

17. 78Bandit macrumors 6502

78Bandit

You've got two issues here. First, what is a fair and equitable way to treat someone who has been living here illegally for almost their entire life and has no ties to their home country at all? The situation should never have been allowed to get to the point that it has, but we have do deal with reality.

The second issue is the one Tim Cook and the other bleeding heart liberals refuse to discuss. How do we prevent this situation from continuing? There must be a hard-line cutoff where people who are here illegally are aggressively pursued and deported before they can establish a multi-generational residence. We need to require proof of citizenship before any public funded activities can be utilized. I already can't get health insurance or claim a tax deduction for a dependent over the age of one without providing a social security number. That needs to be greatly extended. Make life hard for illegal aliens and maybe they won't have the incentive to come across the border in the first place.

Leaders of "sanctuary cities" who refuse to follow the laws regarding immigration need to face federal prosecution. Any official identification, like a driver's license, should be clearly marked as being a non-citizen and is only valid while in compliance with foreign visitor requirements.

18. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

You mean the parents or the children?
    His post was not coherent so I don’t need to come up with a response. He had nothing to hold against my original argument.

19. mactactic macrumors regular

mactactic

legal immigrants waited in line and paid a price !!

20. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Sure.

21. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Not if they didn’t do the crime themselves. The dreamers shouldn’t be held accountable for what their parents did.

22. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

The problem is the law. Fix the law and there won't be a problem.

23. jlasoon, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018

jlasoon macrumors 6502

Is this what they teach is school today?

24. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Dear Tim - Please keep yourself occupied with things outside your company. Only way to make sure you won't ruin the mini and Mac Pro.

Also please please make sure that Mr Ive is fully occupied with designing the shipping box for the next AppleTV, only way to make sure he won't ruin anything important.

25. jlasoon macrumors 6502

I’ll admit it, I really hate Tim Cook.