Apple's Tim Cook and More Than 100 CEOs Urge Congress to Protect Dreamers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

That graph looks more like the bulk of dreamers approved in 2013 needed till 2016 to get "legal".

So the question here is, does it really take that long for a dreamer to get citizenship?
    And if so, why?

2. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

So I take it that you couldn’t come up with a argument against my post so you preceding with the usual ignorant and incoherent babbling that most MacRumors members say.

TMRJIJ - 1
    supercoolmanchu - 0

I rest my case.

3. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Tim’s clearly a good guy. Proud he runs Apple as it’s nice to have at least one thical guy running a major tech company.

4. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Ironic, since you haven't come up with a response to his coherent reply and have resorted to incoherent babbling yourself.

5. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

Cook you should stick to making computers and phones oh yeah and lets start with better batteries and leave politics to the big boys.

6. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

Ah, but there's the catch: conservatives don't actually support legal immigration either. Why does Trump want to cut legal immigration by 50%? Why do conservatives want to eliminate the amendment to the Constitution that makes birth inside the U.S. = citizenship? Why do conservatives get upset when a legal path to citizenship is proposed for undocumented immigrants? It's pretty easy to see that it isn't really about following a set of rules to have legal status that is the problem for conservatives. It's demographics for future voting. They want to limit non-white demographics any way they can.

7. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Problem is, parents can use children as pawns if they are devious enough.

No money? Wife about to give birth, hey, go to a nice country, hang around long enough to pop out the child.
    So now that child is a member of that country!
    Do we allow the child to stay and send the parents home? that would be cruel.. Yes ?
    Do we send them all home? Well the child has done nothing wrong and was born in your country.
    Do we let them all stay, and give them a free home and welfare, as we can't let the child, a citizen of our country starve?

What's the answer ?

8. sterlingindigo macrumors 6502

sterlingindigo

Mr. High and Mighty who uses cheap Chinese labor and turns over his tech to the copycats who spend their profits on NoKo and the great firewall to keep oppression rolling...what a hypocrite.

9. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

At least he's using his influence and power for good, just because he's the CEO of Apple doesn't mean he can't do or have political opinions. Cook is actually a great guy who does a lot of good, other people should see and follow the example.

10. racer1441 macrumors 68000

11. Carnegie macrumors 6502

Because of the way our laws work, most so-called Dreamers can't get citizenship. The DACA program opened up a narrow avenue by which some might be able to get citizenship, but the great majority still would not be able to. It isn't a question of time or willingness.

I think I went a little further in explaining why that's the case in a different thread a while back. If you're curious about it I might be able to find those posts.

12. Makayla macrumors regular

Makayla

i am not sure if there is a good guideline to how involved businessmen should get with politics. I mean would people still complain if he didnt get involved at all?

13. t76turbo macrumors regular

So unless someone wants completely open borders, they are somehow racist?????

Or said another way, So unless someone wants to let people break our laws by entering our country illegally and stay here without going through the same process as those LEGAL IMMIGRANTS, they are racists?????

As the grandson of a LEGAL immigrant and only a few generations removed from immigrants in all other branches of my family tree, I say you should be ashamed of yourself. Some people actually believe in process and laws and think they should be followed.

But most likely you won’t care what I say and will just call me a racist too.

14. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

Why don’t you provide us with such information?

15. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

Cook would only be a hypocrite if China's laws were the same as the United States. They aren't. Cook is being realistic, not hypocritical. It's the conservatives in the United States that are being hypocrites. They act like there's nothing they can do, when in reality it wouldn't be difficult at all to do something.

16. DoctorDoctor Suspended

I sure wish Tim would put this much effort into Apple and their problems. He is way too distracted with everything but Apple's core business.

17. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

That's cute but that assumes there are 0 non-white conservatives. Which we all know is false. Plenty of non-white folks vote and identify with the conservative values. But sure is great rhetoric to divide people.

18. xalea macrumors regular

xalea

Tim Cook now sees himself less as a corporate CEO and more of a celebrity. We have to get away from all the celebrity worship in this country and do our actual jobs.

19. t76turbo macrumors regular

Way to try and throw out a red herring. But the individuals covered by DACA were foreign born ‘kids’ who were brought here supposedly by their parents while THEY were breaking our laws and sneaking across our border like a thief in the night.

If the were born here, even to illegals, they are not illegal immigrants.

20. cardfan macrumors 65816

Simple solution. Just keep voting republican.

21. magbarn macrumors 68000

Maybe that some of us are old enough to see what amnesty did again last time? Almost every argument you put in your post is ENCOURAGING further illegal immigration... So if we kept the status quo or gave every illegal amnesty, what does it for future boarder crossers and visa overstayers?

I’m ok compromising with amnesty for current illegals, but as a trade off of a boarder wall, required e verify for employers, active prosecution of employers - including private citizens hiring illegals, and repeal/revision of the 14th amendment.

22. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Send ‘em home. If you live in Arizona, DACA is a joke. $280.00 signs on buildings everywhere out here - it’s basically an immigration loophole for kids and their families. Time to end DACA, also time to send the Salvadorans home who have had something like 12 years to arrange plans to move back home. #MAGA

23. t76turbo macrumors regular

Trump married an immigrant. I think he supports them just fine!

24. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

And that’s not even mentioning how Congress denied to extend DACA, but Obama (just as he did in the Paris TREATY), used an illegal EO to accomplish DACA. So glad we’re done with that kick-the-can President.

25. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

Are we not allowed to bash criminals? How many illegals are you putting up in your spare room?