Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
... Me thinks iPad is going to be more of a liability...

The tablet mock-ups make me rather nervous... they look like something I'm going to have carry in a laptop bag anyway... so why wouldn't I just carry a 13.1 MBP to begin with (or a hackintosh'd netbook)?

That being said, whatever it is and no matter how fragile, once I'm in the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field tomorrow, I'm sure I'll have one on pre-order as soon as http://www.apple.com/store re-opens.

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Was talking with a Verizon Data Engineer a few days ago. Verizon next gen is not a "few years" away. Think more along the lines of a few months:D

I can confirm this as well. Data solutions manager out of the Northeast said late 2nd quarter, early 3rd at the latest.

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
With exclusivity with AT&T ending, does that mean AT&T will allow unlocking for current owners provided they have spent their 2 year time in captivity.

I asked the same question this morning in an a different topic:
That raises an interesting question: if the iPhone is to come to T-Mobile, will Apple finally issue unlock codes to those of us with iPhones that aren't under contract any more? That raises a better question: why hasn't anyone sued Apple over that? Aren't they violating some kind of law or regulation in not providing unlock codes to contract-completed phone owners?

I'm actually more interested in why this hasn't been challenged in a class action or something by now.

Wasnt it just mentioned a few days ago by Walt Mossberg that the tablet wont need a 3G chip because it will be tethering with your iPhone via bluetooth.

Makes sense. Why have 2 contracts when the first has unlimited data?
Plus it means they can then sell more iPhones this way.

Got to love the halo effect.

Well, the unlimited data on the iPhone doesn't include tethering, and was certainly priced for use on one phone, not multiple devices. Hard to believe AT&T would just let you tether a MEDIA-INTENSIVE (read data-hogging) device for no additional service charges...

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Apple might say carrier(s) will be announced by the 'end of the spring'. :rolleyes:

Now, we all have to debate when is the last day of the spring. :mad:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
My Sprint Blackberry also came pre-loaded with all kinds of Srpint crap and other crap software i don't want. Verizon blackberries are the same way. do you want your iphone to come preloaded with crap apps you don't want and can't delete?

Apple (and RIM if they wanted) could negotiate something clean if they want. Apple has money so don't need to go for the nickel-dime ad/app placement game.

Verizon is also forcing all BB owners to use Bing. do you want the same on a VZ iphone?

According to some recent rumors so is Apple. ( Personally think it is asinine reactionary move to dump Google for Microsoft. That's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Microsoft is even MORE deeply embedded in a competitive agenda against Apple than Google is. *And* they have historically not been leader in search.... their internet business has never made money. Why want to jump into bed with someone who can't make money at it?????? )

Microsoft is trying to buy them off. Verizon is just taking the money.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
It seems to me that, given the intent of the tablet as a distribution method for tradition print media, limiting it to a particular carrier would be an insane business decision. The tablet would need to have the broadest options for connectivity available for it to be successful.

On the iPhone front: Why on earth would Apple pre-announce support for other carriers months away? I would think they would run the real risk of kill all iPhone sales to customers how prefer another carrier over AT&T.

pgifford

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2008
St. Louis
Wouldn't tethering an iPhone to a tablet be a little awkward to handle unless you're at a table or desk of some sort?

thomanjones

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2006
DC
Wouldn't tethering an iPhone to a tablet be a little awkward to handle unless you're at a table or desk of some sort?

For USB tethering, yeah, for BT tehtering, no- you can just keep the phone in your pocket.

I was excited about a possible VZW iPhone, until I realized that I wouldn't be able to send/receive email or do anything else involving data for those hour+ conference calls. Huge dealbreaker there, imo.

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I wonder which company is really the best phone company in the U.S? The others may be faster but they don't have iPhones slowing them down.

It's not a valid question (which is best), because it's too subjective in many cases. You'd never get everyone to even agree on what parameters would go into defining best.

The easy answer for me is the best one is the one that gives you the service, features, and pricing that closest meet your needs in the geographic locations that you frequent.

All the rest of the stuff (Verizon's got better coverage, AT&T's got faster speed, Sprint's billing least deceptive, T-Mobile's cheapest) is just arguing points for zealots who feel a religious need to defend their choice of network. It's pointless to me that Verizon can push a signal into Smallville, MN, because I'll never go there; but I acknowledge that the fact that AT&T is faster 3G in Los Angeles than Verizon is just as meaningless to the guy in MN if he can't get a signal on AT&T.

It's really a pointless question and debate until a company emerges that offers full 3G or better coverage to every square foot of the country, at prices that are competitive to the other providers, with all the features you want. I doubt said company will exist in my lifetime.

SSpiro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My Sprint Blackberry also came pre-loaded with all kinds of Srpint crap and other crap software i don't want. Verizon blackberries are the same way. do you want your iphone to come preloaded with crap apps you don't want and can't delete?

Verizon is also forcing all BB owners to use Bing. do you want the same on a VZ iphone?

I love the people that think Verizon still cripples or puts all kinds of software on their phones.

The only thing Verizon on my blackberry(which I bought a year and a half ago) is the default homepage is the Verizon jump-page, which has the Bing search you are talking about. But guess what? You can change it.

Everything else is stock. Verizon doesn't cripple phones anymore and they haven't for quite some time.

Oh and PS, Apple(or at least AT&T) is in talks with Microsoft about a Bing search deal for all iPhones.

Agreed. I have a VZW BB, and I'm not forced to do a damn thing.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
In Canada, the iPhone was originally available only on Rogers, and the data plans sucked. They are now available via Bell, and the data plans still suck. While providers feel that there is ample growth under current pricing models, there will be little pressure to undercut each other until the market is saturated.
Not to knock Canada, but it's hardly a model for worldwide cellular competition. In the past several weeks, unlimited plans in the U.S. have been slashed in price, text messaging plans have decreased in price or been eliminated, and there has been a race of 3g coverage and increased call quality in all major metropolitan areas. Saying more choices doesn't equal competition is ridiculous.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I'm actually more interested in why this hasn't been challenged in a class action or something by now.

1. Because since these are private networks and there is no mandate that they allow devices on their networks .... it is their sandbox so they make the rules.

I think it changes a bit with the 4G network bandwidth (old analog TV) that got sold off that this time the FCC said "must allow compatible devices on this bandwidth". Google jumping into the process got that onto the table. There is no such mandate on the other spectrum leases. So even if you do get it unlocked can make you go through hoops to get onto another network. (besides doing backdoor SIM card switches).

However, in general
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock#United_States

What most often happens is that they will unlock if you run through a huge rat's maze of procedures which almost nobody does.

2. The other problem is that there aren't very large "classes" to compose the suit. The issue above should make clear this isn't a slam dunk. The other is that most folks jump from one 2 year contract to the next because they have "next gen tech" envy.

Similar since there is no law that they can't make it a complete pain in the butt to get to unlocked state, can't really sue on the grounds the process is a pain. Only if it didn't exist at all.

Well, the unlimited data on the iPhone doesn't include tethering, and was certainly priced for use on one phone, not multiple devices.

Not only not priced, but quite likely explicitly contracted against multiple devices. Folks moaning and groaning after agreeing to it doesn't get lots of traction.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
I'd really like to see the future iPhone on T-Mobile. Hopefully T-Mobile would not jack up the prices if they received it. They are fairly reasonable now.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Not to knock Canada, but it's hardly a model for worldwide cellular competition.

There is a critical size in the number of participates you have to get to in order to get competition. It is a number bigger than 2. Having just 2 it is very easy to get an oligopoly to form without having to do any explicit collusion. They compete enough to make it look like competing but basically set their prices the same.

What need is at least 4 players (and often much more). Here at least one will feel the need to break from the pack in order to get some growth. (e.g., Sprint and Tmobile cut rates and come up with better unlimited plans last Summer and Fall. Only now many months later are Verizon and ATT even attempting to match. They first waited to see if the other two would give up and come back. )
Somtimes even larger groups work (more of less) will still form oligopolies. For example OPEC (when stable) in oil pretty much sets oil prices along with a few other players.

So the iPhone on just ATT and Verizon wouldn't do much. If want to get competition between vendor service heated up Apple would have to go with Tmobile or Sprint. Going with the other dominating competitor just brings "more of the same".

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I'd really like to see the future iPhone on T-Mobile. Hopefully T-Mobile would not jack up the prices if they received it. They are fairly reasonable now.

I would hate to see the new iPhone locked to T-Mobile, but options are good.

Your comment rolls right into my earlier post about how no one's going to agree on what the best network is. I'm using T-Mobile to test a Nexus One* right now. TERRIBLE signal strength in the parts of Los Angeles I frequent. I would say it is the worst carrier of the four (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile) in my areas. I have friends in Seattle who swear by T-Mobile. This is clearly a YMMV situation.

*I think overall I prefer the Nexus One to the iPhone, but man, T-Mobile is almost a deal-breaker in and of itself for me, despite all the strengths of the device compared to the iPhone, the network makes or breaks these App Phone devices. :-(

EETFUK

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
I would love...

I would love Steve Jobs, at the end of the event, to say:

"Okay, now that we've talked about the new tablet for 2 hours, there's just one more thing. The new iPhone is leaving AT&T and going to Verizon this June. Thank you, good night."

LMFAO!

aberjohnny24

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Rochester, NY
No At&t For The Tablet!!

If Apple is that blind to see that the current AT&T network cannot even handle the current load on its network from the iPhone and goes with AT&T as it's wireless carrier, then it's certain death for the tablet. SOO much better if they went with Verizon for the time being until AT&T can get its act together and give EVERYBODY 3G coverage! I wouldn't even think about getting one if they went with AT&T. Can't wait to see what happens. :)

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Was talking with a Verizon Data Engineer a few days ago. Verizon next gen is not a "few years" away. Think more along the lines of a few months:D

I think what people mean is that Verizon's LTE network won't be fully deployed all across 100% of their current network for a few years, depending on how much you consider a few to be. LTE is being tested in a very small market right now and last I heard, it was a data test and nothing more. Maybe in a few months they will begin to deploy it, but there is no way their "next gen" will be 100% deployed all across the nation in a few months.

Tobsen

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2002
Germany
So, if AT&T falls tomorrow, Germany will be the last country with one exclusive carrier. And this is T-Mobile, maybe this is an argument for T-Mobile US.

And remember the Wired 3G speed test?
T-Mobile Netherlands and T-Mobile Germany had the best results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.