Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I've tried the equivalent of using the iPhone for Internet access with the current-model iPod touch and did NOT find it a pleasant experience--it felt like using an iPad "writ really small." Particularly bad is Twitter and Facebook access with their official apps, where the text was difficult to read when displayed in portrait mode.

Small wonder why I have a Samsung Galaxy S III for my cellphone--at least the Twitter and Facebook apps are actually readable.

I don't have perfect vision but I certainly can read twitter or facebook apps on my iPhone 4S quite easily, and I usually have to read it from further than usual since the phone is hooked to my earphone and the cable is short, so I can't lift the phone much after taking it out of my pocket, so I read it while holding it near my front pocket. But that's facebook and twitter. I can't say the same for websites with no mobile version. Now those are a tough read, even if I hold the phone in front of my eyes. A lot of zooming in and out is necessary then, but a bigger phone wouldn't really help on that either. In any case I'd have to zoom in.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Two years ago, you heard about nothing but marketshare from the hardcore contingent....But as soon as Apple lost the majority stake in the mobile sector...pfft...gone. It's now an unimportant vector.

Hate to tell you this, but Apple NEVER had a majority share of the smartphone market. In fact, until 2012, they were #3.

2007-2012 looked like this:

World_Wide_Smartphone_Sales_Share.png

Yes, I know this is the world-wide market. In the US, Symbian wasn't a player. Still, when iOS had a larger marketshare then android, RIM was bigger then them. So Apple (domestic or worldwide) has never been on top:

nielsen_top3smartphoneos_2010_sm.png

Last edited:

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Perhaps it would be better to state that the general forum consensus flip flopped and not attribute it to specific individuals who changed their viewpoint.

More accurately some think marketshare is important, some don't, and some don't care.

In other words, different people have different opinions.

Stating anything else otherwise either way is generalizing and being disingenuous

Apple users are not as bad as you want them to be.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
More accurately some think marketshare is important, some don't, and some don't care.

In other words, different people have different opinions.

Stating anything else otherwise either way is generalizing and being disingenuous

Apple users are not as bad as you want them to be.

I never said Apple users were bad. :) I stated my opinion, as you did yours.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Most people following MacRumours for any period of time would realize that there's an incredible bias towards "Apple good, everyone else bad, Samsung is the spawn of Satan" in a large number of the posts. (Although the Samsung part is fairly recent, since Samsung has been kicking Apple's butt.)

"Market share" was dismissed as unimportant when Apple was a computer company and Apple OSX was in the single digits.

"Market share" was often touted as decisive evidence of Apple's dominance when certain classes of Itoys hit double-digit or majority positions.

Now that many of the Itoys are slipping, "market share" is being dismissed again. And, even worse, Apple fans are bringing out the tired old "shipped doesn't mean sold" mantra - as if retailers would continue to order devices that weren't selling.

1. You are setting up a nice strawman here, declaring that every opinion in favor of Apple or against anyone else is based on bias. Two people apparently believed you and voted it up. No mention of the sycophantic admiration of everything Samsung by some people here. As far as "spawn of Satan" is concerned, that is slightly exaggerated, but look at the facts: Multiple convictions for price fixing in 2012 alone, CEO convicted of tax evasion (and received a pardon by the government), cricitising Samsung in Korea documented as destroying careers, the company refusing to take any responsibility for hundreds with health damage due to chemicals in Samsung factories. Marketing instead of innovation. (Strange how many people claimed Apple's success was just due to marketing, and nobody mentions that Samsung spends twice as much on marketing than Apple ever did).

Then you slip in "Samsung kicking Apple's butt". I thought you meant "Samsung stepping on Apple's toes" which most people would agree with. What I see so far is Samsung having copied the iPhone 3 and getting its butt kicked in court. But mentioning a US court decision that is against Samsung is probably biassed.

"Market share": There's "market share in PC sales". That's unimportant to Apple. There's "number of high end, high margin computers sold". That's important to Apple. Now getting _any_ significant share of the "PC sales market share" while only selling to the high end market is amazing. What gets attacked all the time is the notion that Apple's low market share is sigificant. It isn't. 45% of all PC profits, that is significant.

"Shipped doesn't mean sold" does indeed count for any newcomers in the market. However, it also counts when comparing numbers sold in the first say five days of a product with numbers shipped in the same time frame, which is one thing Samsung fans like to do.

----------

Not only was market share dismissed, it was taken as a sign by how discerning Apple buyers were and how "exclusive" the product was. It's idiotic.

That's not what I've seen here. And since that opinion is indeed idiotic, I'm sure I would have noticed it and replied to it if I had ever seen it. Since I didn't, I suggest that you are trying to set up a strawman here. Feel free to quote any posts that actually expressed what you are claiming.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
I know, I can't believe apple announced the other day that they have completely stopped development on any new products. What were they thinking???

The irony of your 'quip' is that Appe haven't brought any true phone developments to the public since they took the beautiful iPhone 3 and bastardised all it's style to create the iPhone 4. Meanwhile, it's competitors have excelled!

Held the Galaxy S4 next to my girlfriends iPhone 5 today ... she felt as sick as a pig when she felt the sleek lines of the S4 compared to the 5 ... and that screen ... To die for! After having iPhones for the past 6 years myself, I recently changed my iphone 5 for the awesome Lumia 820 ... But that Sammy ... Must have!!!

Now what were Apple saying about market share?????

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
The irony of course is that if Apple was only in the phone business they'd be considered lucky to be around in 5 years. Same old iOS basically since 2007. Same lack of innovation since 2007. Sure they wowed with thinner computers and the iPad but it was mostly form over function. I used to really like Apple but they'll be out of the phone market in a few years and unless they actually do something in next few years it'll be back to obscurity for them. Sure they could continue to exist as a vanity brand that people pay extra for a logo but it's sad to see how Apple has completely dropped the ball more and more. Let's not forget Apple's walled garden and how much that screws people over.

Of course the ultimate irony is blackberry had to go full touchscreen with their initial relaunch to appease the masses but stuck to a classic qwerty in the end. Android devices as glitchy as they are schooled Apple on HD and big screens. Once the general public tires of 6 year old designs and all touch screen interfaces what companies will be there with actual keyboards on their phones? Not Apple.

Tablets will eventually fade into a niche fashion item as well. Bloomsberg has that right. You'll have two markets. Power users that demand actual computers and general consumers that demand ultra portable small devices. And with the advancement of roll-up screens and heads up displays, tablets won't win in the general marketplace.

I went from Apple supporter to Apple hater not willingly but because of how limited Apple's technology has become. How many things I couldn't do on a Mac or how basic and limited iOS was becoming. Or how Apple meant well trying to "seamlessly" sync between devices which was a joke unless a.) you owned all Apple devices or b.) you only did it to their closed specifications and limited software design. Then you watch other device makers eons ahead of the iPhone AND look at how you can actually control your data and files on PC vs Mac and wonder why you ever went to Apple.

Overall I think Apple had a good comeback run. But unless you like outdated tech, Apple's time is limited in the phone market. They may have created a whole new trend and that's awesome but they just keep beating a dead horse with the same tired design. The only device that continues to wow me is the iPod Classic. Not only is it a great design, the interface is bar none AND it's the most affordable large capacity music player ever created. No other portable music/video device matches the sheer storage capacity combined with a simple interface and control. And it's nearly 4 years old.

Also you mentioned the new BB devices. Apple is currently considered the "trendy, cool, expensive" device. Yet BB is launching new devices at a higher cost to consumers than Apple. Premium cost tends to drive customers to buy. Once the general public perceives iPhones as "yesterday's trend" or "cheap" it's on to the next thing. And since practically all Android phones are bargain basement cheap that leaves BB with a "premium" status for a while. Go figure, because Apple was initially the sought after premium brand.

You are out of touch.

You have a minority perspective on the subject.

Your post-length to substance ratio is way off

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
The irony of your 'quip' is that Appe haven't brought any true phone developments to the public since they took the beautiful iPhone 3 and bastardised all it's style to create the iPhone 4. Meanwhile, it's competitors have excelled!

Held the Galaxy S4 next to my girlfriends iPhone 5 today ... she felt as sick as a pig when she felt the sleek lines of the S4 compared to the 5 ... and that screen ... To die for! After having iPhones for the past 6 years myself, I recently changed my iphone 5 for the awesome Lumia 820 ... But that Sammy ... Must have!!!

Now what were Apple saying about market share?????

I'm pretty sure apple is ok with making a billion dollars a week at the expense of marketshare....

Marketshare is a useless statistic, always has been always will be.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
1. You are setting up a nice strawman here, declaring that every opinion in favor of Apple or against anyone else is based on bias. Two people apparently believed you and voted it up. No mention of the sycophantic admiration of everything Samsung by some people here. As far as "spawn of Satan" is concerned, that is slightly exaggerated, but look at the facts: Multiple convictions for price fixing in 2012 alone, CEO convicted of tax evasion (and received a pardon by the government), cricitising Samsung in Korea documented as destroying careers, the company refusing to take any responsibility for hundreds with health damage due to chemicals in Samsung factories. Marketing instead of innovation. (Strange how many people claimed Apple's success was just due to marketing, and nobody mentions that Samsung spends twice as much on marketing than Apple ever did).

Then you slip in "Samsung kicking Apple's butt". I thought you meant "Samsung stepping on Apple's toes" which most people would agree with. What I see so far is Samsung having copied the iPhone 3 and getting its butt kicked in court. But mentioning a US court decision that is against Samsung is probably biassed.

"Market share": There's "market share in PC sales". That's unimportant to Apple. There's "number of high end, high margin computers sold". That's important to Apple. Now getting _any_ significant share of the "PC sales market share" while only selling to the high end market is amazing. What gets attacked all the time is the notion that Apple's low market share is sigificant. It isn't. 45% of all PC profits, that is significant.

"Shipped doesn't mean sold" does indeed count for any newcomers in the market. However, it also counts when comparing numbers sold in the first say five days of a product with numbers shipped in the same time frame, which is one thing Samsung fans like to do.

----------

That's not what I've seen here. And since that opinion is indeed idiotic, I'm sure I would have noticed it and replied to it if I had ever seen it. Since I didn't, I suggest that you are trying to set up a strawman here. Feel free to quote any posts that actually expressed what you are claiming.

I don't care if Samsung copied Apple (like apple never copied anyone themselves!!) or any other negative statements about my phones better than yours ... Just go hold the new S4 next to an iPhone 5 as I did today and it'll become QUITE clear why so many people are abandoning Apple products. They may have been the market leader a few years ago, but others have not only now caught up, but they've significantly passed Apple in the desirability stakes! That GORGEOUS S4 screen, smooth rounded lines, high technology, NFC, SD Card slot, wireless charging ... I could go on but I fear I may just have to buy one tomorrow!

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I don't care if Samsung copied Apple (like apple never copied anyone themselves!!) or any other negative statements about my phones better than yours ... Just go hold the new S4 next to an iPhone 5 as I did today and it'll become QUITE clear why so many people are abandoning Apple products. They may have been the market leader a few years ago, but others have not only now caught up, but they've significantly passed Apple in the desirability stakes! That GORGEOUS S4 screen, smooth rounded lines, high technology, NFC, SD Card slot, wireless charging ... I could go on but I fear I may just have to buy one tomorrow!

Did..... I just read a Samsung ad? :eek:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Did..... I just read a Samsung ad? :eek:

No, you just read about how many people would compare the Apple phone and the Samsung phone if you put blue painter's tape over the logos.

Some people, though, lose their objectivity if a tech toy has a half-eaten apple for a logo.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
No, you just read about how many people would compare the Apple phone and the Samsung phone if you put blue painter's tape over the logos.

Some people, though, lose their objectivity if a tech toy has a half-eaten apple for a logo.

I'm convinced you have a real problem with other peoples opinions. What's wrong with some people liking apple and others liking samsung?

Some people lose their objectivity if they see a green robot on their tech toys too.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
can't find the original post, but I can't forget you suggesting everyone to sell everything and use the money for buying AAPL shares back in September, around 700$ quote.:D

AAPL was severely undervalued at $700. Wall Street is crazy.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'm convinced you have a real problem with other peoples opinions. What's wrong with some people liking apple and others liking samsung?

Some people lose their objectivity if they see a green robot on their tech toys too.

Voonyx, I don't have a problem with other's opinions.

I was responding to a post where someone said that another post was a "Samsung ad" because the other post preferred the Galaxy S4 to the Iphone.

That seems a pretty callous response to another's opinions, especially with the implied reference to astroturfing.

Or, were you replying to ChazUK and mistakenly responded to my post?

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Voonyx, I don't have a problem with other's opinions.

I was responding to a post where someone said that another post was a "Samsung ad" because the other post preferred the Galaxy S4 to the Iphone.

That seems a pretty callous response to another's opinions, especially with the implied reference to astroturfing.

Or, were you replying to ChazUK and mistakenly responded to my post?

Nope I was responding to you. You said that people lose objectivity when it comes to apple. The same applies to android. Why do you ignore that?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Nope I was responding to you. You said that people lose objectivity when it comes to apple. The same applies to android. Why do you ignore that?

Maybe you should ask that question at http://androidrumors.com ...

Oops, that's a 404.

And, what I said was that "Some people, though, lose their objectivity if a tech toy has a half-eaten apple for a logo." Please don't rewrite my words.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Hate to tell you this, but Apple NEVER had a majority share of the smartphone market. In fact, until 2012, they were #3.

2007-2012 looked like this:

This graph is very interesting.
1. There are now only 4 real contenders, Android, iOS and a possibility of growth for WP and RIM.

2.There is very clear negative correlation between iOS growth and Android, (on Q3 2011 and Q3 2012) rather than say, iOS and RIM. It means that Android growth is killing all other OSes except iOS; and iOS growth in turn kills Android.

3. iOS growth is correlated with introduction of new iPhone models. The next spike in world wide iOS usage will come in Q3 2013; possibly it may be actually dual peaking, with introduction of new iPhone 6 and a budget iPhone 5S.

4. In that case, Apple worldwide share will probably exceed for first time 35% or even 40%; introduction of new model usually drives Apple share up by 5-10 percentage points; introduction of TWO new models will drive then by 10-20% or 15% assuming some sort of cannibalization of premium market model by budget one. However, both will have same profit margin, so actually it is not that important for Apple bottom line which model sells more - they both bring in highest profit margins in industry, but lower priced model will expand market share dramatically and therefore, not increase profit margin (rather keep it steady high) but will increase volume of pre-tax net revenue (profits).

5. Realistically speaking, BB share will continue to slide even sales expand, because the volume of smarphone sales will grow faster than BB sales. At some point, only three leading OSes will remain and BB will become a very small niche player, but profitable.

6. If one adds iPod touches, iPads to iOS smartphone share, iOS overall share will be very high indeed for all mobile devices. Future is bright for Apple, not so for MS and BB. As for Google, the market share means no revenue, strictly speaking, because all royalties paid to MS. Maybe it earns something from ads or app market, but sure it is not monetized at all. Therefore, at some stage, MS can even cancel its own OS and just live off Android royalties :)

Last edited:

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
And, what I said was that "Some people, though, lose their objectivity if a tech toy has a half-eaten apple for a logo." Please don't rewrite my words.

It's irrelevant exactly how you said it. The way you said it implies that only an Apple logo could cause a lack of objectivity and only Apple fanboys are like that. If you don't want to sound biased, then you should add that "same is true for any other brand". I'm not saying that one shouldn't sound biased, I don't have any issue with people being biased one way or another, since everyone on this forum is biased anyway, but don't try to come out as unbiased.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Maybe you should ask that question at http://androidrumors.com ...

Oops, that's a 404.

And I asked you why you didn't say the same for android users? The point I'm making is that both sides lose objectivity and often, you're proof of that since you're only acknowledging one side as being the ones who do that. But I can see that you have no intention of answering that question so let's leave it at that, aiden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.