Apple's Upcoming Music and TV Apps on Mac Revealed in Leaked Screenshots

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is widely expected to unveil the next major version of macOS at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference next week, and rumors suggest that the update will introduce standalone apps for Music and Podcasts. Apple also confirmed that its TV app will be expanding to the Mac in the fall.

Now, we have our first glimpse at what the Music and TV apps should look like courtesy of 9to5Mac's Guilherme Rambo, who has leaked screenshots of each app. Rambo says the screenshots are legitimate, rather than mockups or concepts, although parts have been redacted to protect his sources.

The report claims the new Music app is based on iTunes, as evident by the similar design language. Apple Music sections including For You, Browse, and Radio are listed in the sidebar with playback controls up top.

[​IMG]
    Music app via 9to5Mac

The new TV app is shown with a toolbar for switching between Watch Now, Movies, TV Shows, Kids, and Library sections. The sidebar contains the Library subsections of Recently Added, Movies, TV Shows, and Downloaded along with genres such as Action and Adventure, Comedy, Drama, and Kids.

[​IMG]
    TV app via 9to5Mac

The screenshots are not particularly revealing since some information has been redacted, but they provide a good glimpse of the overall look and feel of Music and TV on Mac. No screenshots of the rumored Podcasts app were shared.

Apple should unveil macOS 10.15 at its WWDC 2019 keynote on Monday at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time. Recent trademark activity uncovered by MacRumors suggests that macOS 10.15 could be named macOS Mammoth, with other potential options including macOS Monterey, macOS Rincon, and macOS Skyline.

MacRumors will have full coverage of WWDC 2019 on our website and on Twitter at @MacRumorsLive.

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming Music and TV Apps on Mac Revealed in Leaked Screenshots

2. ratspg macrumors regular

3. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

4. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

Good riddance to the bloated mess that is iTunes

5. afir93, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019

afir93 macrumors 6502a

afir93

Not gonna lie, they actually look pretty decent. Not game-changing, but a nice step-up from the outdated, overloaded iTunes interface. I’m also glad that Apple put the device sync functionality into one of the new apps aswell, instead of forcing us to return to iTunes for it (though I wish it was a separate app called "iOS Sync" or so, as the music app feels like a bit of an awkward place for it).

I hope the coloured sidebar icons are a sign of things to come.

6. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

That's how my iTunes always looks when my network is sluggish. :)

7. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502a

nouveau_redneck

I'm not really fond of that missing toolbar look of Music and the current App Store.

8. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

TV app is fine. Music app needs to maintain the music features we had from iTunes over the years. Please don't skip out on stuff like iWork did when first redesigned.

9. shieldcy macrumors member

So they went from the overloaded itunes to the almost empty new music app? I don’t know. I’m just not impressed (for now)

10. Nimoy macrumors regular

Nimoy

Strange how different these two are. For example, the search field is in different places. I'm guessing this is far from the final design. Good to know that they are indeed creating separate apps, though.

11. filipe.esposito macrumors regular

filipe.esposito

"Music on macOS 10.15 retains the ability to sync a user’s devices such as iPhones and iPods. Devices show up in the sidebar just like they do on iTunes." Please restore your PC replacement called iPad Pro using THE MUSIC APP.

12. jsmith189 macrumors 68000

jsmith189

yeah. makes sense lol. would be nice to see the iTunes actually filled out with content.

13. Sasparilla, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019

Sasparilla macrumors 65816

My mistake, wasn't seeing the Library breakout on the Music app. They both look nice, using them will be the big test. Time will tell.

Apple please keep local backup options for my iThings that we currently have with iTunes.

14. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Shouldn’t Apple have started over by buying jriver

15. bluespark macrumors 68000

Some good things here. I like having clearly differentiated sidebar sections for Apple Music and My Library, for example. And the iTunes bloat is gloriously missing. Many questions remain, though, and it's strange how much these two apps seem to differ in approach from each other. For example, why wouldn't the TV app also create separate sidebar sections for online and library content? They almost seem like separate mock-ups made to give someone a final decision as to how the concept should work.

16. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I'm gonna bet the Podcasts app looks a lot like those but with the trademark purple Podcasts color :)

17. ruka.snow macrumors regular

ruka.snow

As long as Apple Music can be completely disabled then it is all good. I have all 171 music track I have ever and likely will ever have desire to listen too.

18. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I think they should bring back iSync.

19. mongobongo macrumors member

The most interesting thing about this for me is whether there will be a separate app handling syncing and backups of iOS devices. I would loooove to see a separate app for that with granular control over the information that gets synced.

20. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

It’s empty because there’s no content. Cover art and playlists is what makes up the majority of the look of Apple Music and the Apple TV app.

21. derekamoss macrumors 6502a

Wow. Totally forgot about iSync lol. And thinking of it just reminds me of grey metal in OS X!

22. workerbee52 macrumors newbie

workerbee52

Looks like a start but I don't see a section like the existing Home Videos which is invaluable. There needs to be a way for the user to add their own categories.

23. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

So basic yet they somehow still managed to make it inconsistent between those two

24. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

These look like they came from two different OS versions. Different window chrome, moved search bar and just overall different feel.

I wonder if only one of them is Marzipan, and the other is just AppKit. Or design at Apple has taken a backseat to everything else.

25. AppleInLVX macrumors 65816

AppleInLVX

While I've found that as I age, I mostly have my box of virtual vinyl and I don't stray too far, I'd never get down to 171 tracks. That's quite a feat. I have to admit, every now and again, I like to hear some new stuff. I'm kinda on the edge of Apple Music being worth it for me. At the end of the day though, it's less than I paid for a single album every month, so it's not like it's dinging the budget all that hard.