Apple's Upcoming Music and TV Apps on Mac Revealed in Leaked Screenshots

ErikGrim

macrumors 601
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
The major problem with iTunes is it's lack of support for both hi-rez formats (24bit/192 etc) and Flac.
There's no lack of support for hi res formats in iTunes, what are you talking about? I store and play 24/192 studio masters all the time. And Flac is just Alac with an automated 2 second conversion, so I don't exactly miss that.
[doublepost=1559529470][/doublepost]The current iTunes UI is sooooooo bloated.:rolleyes:
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 10.59.48.png

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
The major problem with iTunes is it's lack of support for both hi-rez formats (24bit/192 etc) and Flac. Apple only offering low quality compressed downloads and streaming is also a major turn off from their ecosystem. Time will tell but my guess is this will continue regardless of the new music app.
If you refer to iOS music app, then maybe... Last time I imported the music, 96KHz/24bit was possible.
Fun fact, iTunes on PC/Mac can support way better than that. I have several classical music files, each with an original file size of 350MB. After converting to 96KHz, file size drops down to 70MB. Yet, iTunes can play both of them.

Reactions: ErikGrim

simon3163

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone have suggestions for an alternative app for videos on iphone/mac?
I so disslike the new TV app. That just wants to push apple subscriptions. - My kids just get annoyed when they think they can watch it - but cant!!!!..

trifid

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2011
I like the screenshots, they show promise, that sidebar looks like it's persistent, so it won't have the auto-hide mess like it does in iTunes now, and it'll be the main form of navigation like any other well-behaved Mac app, so it's consistent, easy to learn and use. We'll have to see more to get a final say, but so good so far.

This fixes one of my main design issues with the current iTunes that I had pointed out very recently, where you can't drag-and-drop a song in Apple Music, to a playlist in your sidebar, (since the sidebar auto-hides in Apple Music):

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
It is reliable. I’ve been using iCloud backup since it has existed and regularly swap phones and the backup and recovery has always worked reliably. Always. It hasn’t failed once or given me any difficulty. It really does just work.
That's ok IF people back up their device.. but if you tend to put people in the same category as those "not doing backups at all still" who only rely on iCloud as a "backup" rather than a sync. then its IS unreliable when they can't get their data in important times.

It's strange, but ya. these days people do still think "the cloud" is a backup location so they delete the original "knowing" they can get it back *rolls eyes*.. No idea how anyone could come to that conclusion, but ok

Reactions: Shirasaki

Piplodocus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
As long as Apple Music can be completely disabled then it is all good. I have all 171 music track I have ever and likely will ever have desire to listen too.
Blimey! I’ve got over 2 months of music, not including the stuff I ‘rent’ with Apple Music. Admittedly some of it is crap I could probably delete, but the vast majority isn’t.

Maybe this is part of the reason some people can still squeeze all their apps and photos and projects they’re working on, onto a 500GB SSD.