Apple's Upcoming Music and TV Apps on Mac Revealed in Leaked Screenshots

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I think they should bring back iSync.
The most interesting thing about this for me is whether there will be a separate app handling syncing and backups of iOS devices. I would loooove to see a separate app for that with granular control over the information that gets synced.
You don’t need an app to sync. This should be done in a Preference pane on macOS.

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2014
It’s kind of weird and arbitrary that the music application handles iOS device sync and backup. Some people might have only videos, books, and podcasts, yet will need to use the music application to manage their device. I would think if they want to split up all the functions of iTunes, iOS device management should be split off too.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors regular
May 30, 2016
These look like they came from two different OS versions. Different window chrome, moved search bar and just overall different feel.

I wonder if only one of them is Marzipan, and the other is just AppKit. Or design at Apple has taken a backseat to everything else.
Music is based off of iTunes, so yes its App Kit. TV is UI Kit
[doublepost=1559148357][/doublepost]
Would be good to see the Music app with the column browser active and some content.
We will, on Monday

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
It’s empty because there’s no content. Cover art and playlists is what makes up the majority of the look of Apple Music and the Apple TV app.
Right lol. Aside from removing anything non-music related, they're essentially the same thing when you remove any content.

I don't know how this went from overloaded to empty, unless they were talking about functionality.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
These look like they came from two different OS versions. Different window chrome, moved search bar and just overall different feel.

I wonder if only one of them is Marzipan, and the other is just AppKit. Or design at Apple has taken a backseat to everything else.
Agreed! And in the same thought, pretty much every app is going to be the same and boring. One thing that made iTunes stand out was the fun, colorful design. I'll miss that, but I was rarely launching that app anymore, because it felt heavy, and the music in there no longer feels like "my" library.

The new TV app is shown with a toolbar for switching...
That's NOT a toolbar. A toolbar is a bar of tools.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Now that they’re decoupling the music content from the video content, one logical next step might be to just unite users local music, apple music streaming service, and iTunes music store under one banner, the appropriately named iTunes. Tunes, music. Logical. The original iOS configuration wasn’t bad either, with the “Videos” app containing both TV and Movies. Add to it “Music Videos”, and provide streaming music videos by genre, and you’ve recreated the best thing MTV ever was. Add a scrolling chat under the videos and you’ve made half of YouTube irrelevant. But change the name. Naming a computer application that plays all kings of videos “TV” is weird, unless it’s a Television, which it isn’t. And Apple TV is already taken.

I hope this new configuration will be able to play a movie and an audio track simultaneously.
I don’t see “internet radio”. I guess eliminating competition is inevitable.

Hopefully now or at some point in the future they can transition away from the creaky old iTunes database, and just have OS X, which is already indexing your files, keep your music synchronized with relevant metadata in hidden sidecars. And seriously, quickview... when a user selects multiple files in finder, and hits the spacebar, do you think they want to hear the files they’ve selected played through, or just the first one?

After 20+ years of iTunes, I hope to see Apple try something interesting again.

Reactions: AppleMythos

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
One problem I have with iTunes is when I click on "Podcasts" in the upper left drop-down menu, it brings me to the podcasts window but on the left I see my music playlists (I.e. "Beethoven Symphonies" and all those) with the podcast icon next to them (and no content in them). What are these "phantom playlists"? I imagine these new apps will do away with this issue.

ruka.snow

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
While I've found that as I age, I mostly have my box of virtual vinyl and I don't stray too far, I'd never get down to 171 tracks. That's quite a feat. I have to admit, every now and again, I like to hear some new stuff. I'm kinda on the edge of Apple Music being worth it for me. At the end of the day though, it's less than I paid for a single album every month, so it's not like it's dinging the budget all that hard.
To my mind i would have to be buying 1-2 albums a month before Apple Music made sense. Since I have found it hard to even hit 171 tracks in 2 decades, never mind albums per month.

Though regardless, I have Apple Music removed from the ui of the current apps, let’s hope it continues to be possible. To many times is it possible to sign up by mistake to something like that.

Brien

macrumors 68030
Aug 11, 2008
"Music on macOS 10.15 retains the ability to sync a user’s devices such as iPhones and iPods. Devices show up in the sidebar just like they do on iTunes." Please restore your PC replacement called iPad Pro using THE MUSIC APP.
Yeah. Just bring back iSync.

Reactions: hagjohn

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Man, the video app is exactly what I’m afraid of. I just want a place that collects and shows off my own library of movies and shows, and not tries to sell me on the latest movies and shows that I don’t really care to see. “People also watched this” and “recommended for you” is not what I want. I despise the TV app on the iPhone since they changed it for this reason.

I also hope there’s a way to browse my library using the AppleTV’s Computers app. I really really hope they don’t remove that functionality.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016

Apple is widely expected to unveil the next major version of macOS at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference next week, and rumors suggest that the update will introduce standalone apps for Music and Podcasts. Apple also confirmed that its TV app will be expanding to the Mac in the fall.

Now, we have our first glimpse at what the Music and TV apps should look like courtesy of 9to5Mac's Guilherme Rambo, who has leaked screenshots of each app. Rambo says the screenshots are legitimate, rather than mockups or concepts, although parts have been redacted to protect his sources.

The report claims the new Music app is based on iTunes, as evident by the similar design language. Apple Music sections including For You, Browse, and Radio are listed in the sidebar with playback controls up top.

Music app via 9to5Mac

The new TV app is shown with a toolbar for switching between Watch Now, Movies, TV Shows, Kids, and Library sections. The sidebar contains the Library subsections of Recently Added, Movies, TV Shows, and Downloaded along with genres such as Action and Adventure, Comedy, Drama, and Kids.

TV app via 9to5Mac

The screenshots are not particularly revealing since some information has been redacted, but they provide a good glimpse of the overall look and feel of Music and TV on Mac. No screenshots of the rumored Podcasts app were shared.

Apple should unveil macOS 10.15 at its WWDC 2019 keynote on Monday at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time. Recent trademark activity uncovered by MacRumors suggests that macOS 10.15 could be named macOS Mammoth, with other potential options including macOS Monterey, macOS Rincon, and macOS Skyline.

MacRumors will have full coverage of WWDC 2019 on our website and on Twitter at @MacRumorsLive.

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming Music and TV Apps on Mac Revealed in Leaked Screenshots
These look like early unfinished drafts. Whoever's leaking this is doing so in spite. Either I’m wrong and these are the final products, in which case the leaker is pissed off at the end result, or I’m correct and they just want to annoy their colleagues by having their unfinished work witnessed by the world

Reactions: Jerion